This unusual, light and pretty salad is a delightful reminder of the returning birds and nesting activity everywhere. Salad Nests have been a hit at many parties and public gatherings, and even children find them both tasty and charming. The dressing has all the piquant delicacy of a springtime Japanese watercolor.
Instant edible art, and a breeze to make!
INGREDIENTS PER SERVING
1 generous handful alfalfa sprouts
1 tablespoon scallions, finely chopped
Several whole, blanched almonds
Ume Plum Dressing (see below)
1. For each serving, take a generous handful of alfalfa sprouts and gently form them into a nestlike shape.
2. Fill each nest with scallions, then top with several almonds (these look charmingly egglike).
3. Drizzle each nest with Ume Plum Dressing.
UME PLUM DRESSING
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons ume (or umeboshi) plum vinegar (available at your local natural food or Asian specialty store)
1. Combine the olive oil and plum vinegar in a jar with a tightly-fitting lid.
2. Put the lid on the jar and shake until dressing is smooth.