Salt: Kitchen Cupboard Beauty Tips
People have treasured salt since the dawn of civilization. In fact, ancient wars were fought over salt deposits!
But it isnít only a valuable condiment for food: Salt has also been used to promote health and beauty for millennia.
Find out how salt can give you healthier, glowing skin, cleaner teeth, and more–recipes, formulas, and easy how-tos, all right here:
Salt has powerful anti-bacterial properties, and has been thought to draw out impurities. Packs made with heated salt were often used to relieve pain and swelling, and hot compresses of salt water were used to reduce infection and inflammation.
Here are some simple, timeless health and beauty tips that call for salt.
1. Gently brush your teeth with a paste of salt and water. Saltís gentle abrasive action makes teeth squeaky-clean, and its anti-bacterial power keeps gums and teeth fresh and healthy.
2. Dissolve a teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and use as a mouthwash. Cleaner, sweeter mouth and breath!
3. Try this easy Anti-Stress/Detox Bath:
Toss 1/2 cup of sea salt in your tub as it fills with warm water. Soak at least 10 minutes to help detoxify yourself on every level.
4. A great way to exfoliate, leaving your skin smooth and glowing:
5. Another wonderful bath idea, a time-honored way to heal soreness and aching joints, soothe, and deodorize:
healing salt crystals
6. Mix 1 tablespoon salt with warm water and use to spritz hair before setting it. It helps your curls to stay in longer.
7. Foot Soak: Soothe and deodorize tired feet with this easy formula:
Add 1/4 cup salt to a shallow pan or tub of warm water. Soak feet at least 10 minutes.
By Cait Johnson, Assistant Producer, Care2 Healthy Living Channels.