Shaved Asparagus & Parmesan Salad (Recipe)
I’m not offering any suggested adaptations or substitutes for this dreamy salad — it’s just so perfect on its own! With such a short ingredient list, it’s important to find the best asparagus you can. It’s probably not worth your time to use supermarket asparagus — pick some up at your local farmer’s market, use the bunch from your CSA box, or make it with your home-grown spears.
Shaved Asparagus Salad
- 2 Shallots, finely diced
- 2 Tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt
- 1/3 Cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 Large asparagus spears
- Freshly-ground pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan, to taste
1. Prepare vinaigrette. Place finely diced shallot, Champagne vinegar, lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Let it sit for 15 minutes so it can macerate. After that time, add olive oil and whisk.
2. Prepare asparagus. Snap off any tough ends of the spears. Using a vegetable peeler or mandolin, carefully shave off long ribbons from each spear. These should be as thin as paper. Transfer ribbons to a bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add vinaigrette, a little at a time, until dressed to your desired taste. Transfer asparagus to serving plates, and top with a little grated parmesan.
Recipe Credit: Chez Panisse Cafe Cookbook.