The President’s Cancer Panel suggests taking these steps to reduce your risk of cancer.
- Particularly when pregnant and when children are small, choose foods, toys and garden products with fewer endocrine disruptors or other toxins. Care2 tip: Safe Bath-time Fun.
- For those whose jobs may expose them to chemicals, remove shoes when entering the house and wash work clothes separately from the rest of the laundry. Care2 tip: Please Remove Shoes Before Entering.
- Filter drinking water.
- Store water in glass or stainless steel containers, or in plastics that don’t contain BPA or phthalates (chemicals used to soften plastics). Care2 tip: Eating It? BPA Found in Surprising Places
- Microwave food in ceramic or glass containers. Care2 tip: All About Kitchen Plastic.
- Give preference to food grown without pesticides, chemical fertilizers and growth hormones. Care2 tip: 15 Reasons to Eat Organic Food.
- Avoid meats that are cooked well-done. Care2 tip: Top 10 Foods That Increase Cancer Risk
- Check radon levels in your home. Radon is a natural source of radiation linked to cancer. Care2 tip: Cancer-Proof Your House.