Next time you throw a partyor you’re invited to onegive this crowd-pleasing double-barreled recipe a try. The tortilla chips are lightly toasted to a crisp and spicy golden brown, while the guacamole is long on flavor but short on dairy fat. This great version calls for tofu to give the avocado a creamy boost without the cholesterol and calories of sour cream, but with lots of extra protein. Plus you get all the health and beauty benefits of avocado, like skin-nourishing antioxidants.
This is so quick and easy to make, you won’t even mind if it becomes a family favorite. More flavor, more fun, more party pleasure.
Spicy Tortilla Chips
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper or Mexican chili powder
8 flour tortillas, 8-10 inches in diameter
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk cayenne or chili powder into olive oil.
3. Brush one side of each tortilla with oil mixture.
4. Cut each tortilla into 12 wedges.
5. Place tortilla wedges on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 8 – 10 minutes until slightly crisp and golden brown.
Mock Guac (Vegan Guacamole)
1/3 lb soft tofu
1 whole avocado
1/4 cup chopped green onion, including greens
2 fresh garlic cloves, pressed or finely minced
Juice of 1/2 lime
1 tomato, chopped
Salt to taste
1. Cut avocado in half and remove seed. With a spoon, scrape avocado flesh from peel and place flesh in medium mixing bowl. Mash avocado with a fork until smooth.
2. Add tofu and mash with fork until smooth. Mix well until uniform in color and consistency.
3. Add green onions, garlic, lime juice, tomato, and salt to taste.
By Cait Johnson, Assistant Producer, Care2 Healthy Living Channels.