Spinach and Parsley Quinoa, and Tofu Tower
For this week’s Care2 recipe, I’d like to share two recipes from David Halward, a friend of mine. The quinoa dish is fresh and simply tasty. The Tofu Tower looks as good as it tastes.
Spinach and Parsley Quinoa
Finely chopped fresh spinach and parsley make this quinoa dish vibrant green, refreshing and tasty.
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
¾ cup tomatoes, chopped small
¼ cup provolone cheese, cut in tiny cubes (optional)
4 cups packed fresh spinach
½ bunch parsley
3 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon garlic, minced
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
- Place quinoa in pot with water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until the liquid is gone, about 20 minutes. Let sit covered for 10 minutes.
- Put in bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Mix all dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Place spinach and parsley in food processor and finely chop. Chop by hand if you don’t have a processor.
- Toss tomatoes and cheese with quinoa, spinach parsley mix and dressing.
- Serve at room temperature.
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Up Next – Tofu Tower
Want to impress your guests or treat your family? This is a fun way to serve tofu, upscale-restaurant-style without a lot of work.
1/2 cup brown rice
1 cup water
1 ½ lb. tofu, firm
3 ½ cup mushrooms, sliced
12 baby carrots, sliced lengthwise
1 bunch green onions, cut in 3” lengths
¾ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons agave syrup, or sweetener of choice
3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook brown rice by adding water and rice to pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to very low simmer and cook covered until water evaporates, about 40-45 minutes. Remove from heat and let it come to room temperature.
- Sautee mushrooms on medium heat in 2 tablespoons olive oil until crisp tender, about 10 to fifteen minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same saucepan heat soy sauce and heat on medium low until it reduces to half, about 10 minutes. Add agave, then transfer sauce to small measuring cup or pitcher.
- Cut tofu in 8 to 10 ½ inch slabs. Bake in oiled or sprayed pans along with carrots and green onions (will most likely need two pans.) Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Assemble towers by first pressing brown rice into ½ cup round measuring cup (½ cup measurement gives you a wider base to stack upon.) Pop the rice out of the measuring cup and then place the baby carrots in a star pattern. Place a tofu slab on top of carrots, then one onion on each side. Place second tofu slab and top with a small mound of mushrooms. Repeat to make another three portions.
- Drizzle sauce on top of mushrooms and to the corners of the tofu allowing it to drizzle down the stack.
- Top with a sprig of cilantro.
Cooking time: 1 hour