Enhancements for the Center
The most important part of enhancing the Center is to make sure it feels stable, uncluttered and very earthy. If a stairway lies there you have what we call a Feng Shui splinter. This is an item that is doing the opposite of what it is you ideally want to have happen in this space. Stairways are dangerous and are like energetic waterways where the energy is rushing quickly up and down. Adding items that represent the earth element will give it a sense of stability. Here are some recommended enhancements for this area to create a deeper sense of balance:
- The ideal paint colors for this area are earth tones of golds, yellows and taupes or lighter browns.
- Carpeting is always recommended on stairways for the obvious safety reasons. Ideal carpet colors are the same as the paint color recommendations above.
- Hang pictures depicting earthy landscapes or those with earth colors or objects in squares and/or rectangles.
- On stairways, hang pictures horizontally, rather than in a manner where they are stepped down the stairs. This will create a solid line for the eye, creating more of a sense of stability.
- On stairways, put a potted plant at the bottom, provided there is room. (Silk ones are fine as well.) This will give a sense of stability.
- Hang pictures with earthy landscapes as opposed to pictures of bodies of water.
- On stairways, remove mirrors from landings and replace with a potted plant or an earthy picture. Mirrors represent water.
- Artwork that reminds you to remain centered
- Objects in the colors of gold, yellow and earth tones
- Square and rectangular shaped objects
- Create a vision board of pictures and phrases that invoke a sense of balance. Hang it in the center of the home if appropriate, or display in your home office or area of meditation.
- Pictures and photos of places in nature that bring you into balance
- If the Yin/Yang symbol holds meaning for you, display it in this area.
- This is also a great place for your meditation area.
One business I did a consultation for that was doing very poorly, had a picture of a ship in stormy seas bolted onto a pillar right in the center of the business. Needless to say this “environmental affirmation” was not serving their desire to be on a stable and steady course!
Make sure all your pictures represent what it is you truly want to bring into your life and reflect a sense of wholeness and stability. In the center of the home or business, water is not the element to be represented here. Water pictures are wonderful in the Career area which represents water, but not in the more earthy and fiery area such as the Center or the Fame area. In the five elements theory, which is intimately connected to Feng Shui, the floaty and unstable quality of water will destabilize the earth element.
Next: The Bagua Map