A hearty supper dish, this is a favorite. The ingredients are easily varied.
Different vegetables, different cheese can all be used. Poblano chiles, with their mild but rich flavor, are perfect here, but if you can’t find them in the supermarket, substitute other mild to medium-hot chiles, such as jalapenos. One can even substitute flour tortillas if you are out of corn tortillas. It is a very
2 poblano chiles, cut into matchhsticks
1 red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
1 small to medium-size zucchini, cut into matchsticks
1 medium-size onion, halved and slivered
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 garlic cloves, minced
Salt and frehly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
2 cups homemade or store-bought salsa
12 corn tortillas, cut into quarters
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
4 to 6 tablespoons sour cream (nonfat is acceptable)
2 or 3 scallions, white and tender green parts only, finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 425F. Lightly oil a large shallow roasting or half sheet pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine the poblanos, bell pepper, zucchini, onion, and corn. Add the oil, cumin, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss to coat. Arrange in a single layer in the pan.
3. Roast for 30 to 40 minutes, until tender and lightly browned, stirring or shaking the pan occasionally for even cooking. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 350 F.
4. Lightly oil a 10-inch quiche dish or deep pie plate. Stir the cilantro into the salsa.
5. Pour about 1/4 cup of the salsa into the quiche dish and spread with a spoon. Add a layer of tortilla pieces, overlapping them slightly to completely cover the salsa. Top with one-third of the vegetables, then one-quarter of the cheese. Make a second layer of torillas, salsa, vegetables, and cheese. Top with another layer of tortillas, salsa, vegetables, and cheese. Cover with a final layer of tortillas, salsa, and cheese. Cover with aluminum foil.
6. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10 minues, until the cheese is melted and the dish is heated through.
7. Let sit for 5 minutes, then cut into wedges. Serve topped with a spoonful of sour cream and sprinkling of scallions.