Strawberry Dream Pie
This heavenly chilled pie uses tofu instead of dairy to add even more phytonutrient punch to the antioxidant berries, and it is sweetened with a natural sweetener instead of refined sugar. Itís so delicious you will never guess how good for you it is! Sweet strawberries and creamy filling in a pecan-spiked crust make Strawberry Dream Pie a real treat.
2 cups crushed all-natural graham crackers
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
1/4 cup safflower oil
4 cups fresh sliced strawberries
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup rice syrup or maple syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Whole strawberries for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine strawberries and lemon juice and allow to macerate.
2. In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, pecans, and oil. Mix thoroughly, then press firmly into a pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes in preheated oven, then allow to cool.
3. In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, rice syrup, and vanilla, pureeing until smooth. Stir in the sliced strawberries and spoon mixture into prepared crust.
4. Bake for 7 minutes in the preheated oven, until berries soften and release their juices. Allow pie to cool, then refrigerate until set and well chilled.
5. To serve, garnish with additional berries.
Inspired by Meals That Heal, by Lisa Turner (Inner Traditions, 1996).