Sustainable Brew, Recycled Toilet Paper & Green Cars
Listen, laugh & learn with the Green Divas (and Green Dude Scott) anytime - Podcast here!
Happy St. Paddy’s Day! We celebrated in the studio by talking about green beer . . . not the color silly, sustainably brewed beer! We had fun with our Sleeping Naked is Green segment talking about good reasons to use recycled toilet paper and paper towels. Our first Getting Local with the Green Divas segment with the Daily Record’s Grassroots editor Meghan Van Dyke was a nice discussion about local food systems.
Our feature interview was with our favorite green car dude, John Voelcker, Sr. editor of GreenCarReports.com. He answered a listener’s question about what to buy for best value and efficiency if you had $15k to spend on a car. Also, talked about another question regarding RVs. Always discussion on latest in electric vehicles and biodiesel.
WHY SHOULD WE CARE
Please join us in being part of the solution! Visit our Why Should We Care Campaign page and please donate (and get some awesome goodies when you do)!
Sleeping Naked is Green segment: Buy only recycled toilet paper & paper towels
The Environmental Impact of Paper Towels
- Generally one-time use
- Aside from trees being used, most brands use bleach in the process, which releases dioxins into the environment – dioxins are bad, causing birth defects and cancer
The Environmental Impact of Toilet Paper
- In a New York Times article about toilet paper and its impact on the environment, RISI an independent market analysis firm in Bedford, Mass., the pulp from one eucalyptus tree, a commonly used tree, produces as many as 1,000 rolls of toilet tissue. Americans use an average of 23.6 rolls per capita a year.
- Our obsession w/ fluffy soft TP is costing our forests: According the same New York Times article,
. . . fluffiness comes at a price: millions of trees harvested in North America and in Latin American countries, including some percentage of trees from rare old-growth forests in Canada. Although toilet tissue can be made at similar cost from recycled material, it is the fiber taken from standing trees that help give it that plush feel, and most large manufacturers rely on them.
- Suck it up and use recycled TP!
- Get recycled paper towels – use less natural resources and energy to produce
- Use washable dish towels instead of paper towels
- Paper Towel v. electric hand dryer – use the hand dryer. it actually uses more energy to produce the towel(s) and people tend to use several at a time
Listen this Sleeping Naked is Green 5-minute segment.
SUSTAINABLE BREW . . . the real green beer!
Did you know that Americans drink 50 billion pints of beer a year. If all that beer came out of cans and you set one can on top of the other, it would reach the moon, 20 times. But more importantly, most of the 6 million pounds of grain used for beer making is laden with pesticides, not to mention how much water it takes to brew beer. Find out a LOT more about sustainable brew from GD Lisa’s recent post on Green Beer.
GETTIN LOCAL WITH THE GREEN DIVAS: Wherever You Are!
Listen to our first of this series about local, sustainable community – this week’s discussion was about local food systems.
As always, please visit our website for LOTS of relevant links & resources from the show - Green Divas website.
Hope you’ll listen to this broadcast!