Take ordinary pasta to a whole new level with this simple but exotic-tasting recipe. Canned coconut milk and curry spices combined with healthful broccoli and red bell peppers make a colorful supper rich in nutrients and filled with mouthwatering flavors.
This is one fast and easy way to bring a taste of the Orient to your family.
1 pound fettucine, or your favorite pasta, preferably whole-grain
1 tablespoon peanut oil or vegetable oil
5 cups broccoli florets (about 2 heads)
2 organic bell peppers, preferably red and yellow, cut into short strips
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (14 ounces) regular or reduced-fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons red Thai curry base, or 1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste (available in the Asian section of your grocery store)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or basil
1. Cook the fettucine in a large pot of boiling salted water until just al dente, about 8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a wok or large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add broccoli and stir-fry for 10 seconds. Add a tablespoon or two of the pasta water. Cover, and steam until the broccoli is just bright green and barely tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Add peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute more. Remove to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
3. Add the coconut milk, curry base, and brown sugar to the pan and return to medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, whisking until thoroughly mixed. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Drain the pasta and put in a large bowl or return to the pasta pot. Mix in a few tablespoons of the curry sauce just to moisten the pasta. Stir the vegetables into the remaining sauce.
5. Divide the pasta among plates and top with the vegetables and sauce. Sprinkle with the peanuts and cilantro or basil.
Serves 4 to 6.