August 3rd is the first annual Elephant Awareness Day in the city of Los Angeles, CA. The Day hopes to bring attention to the gentle, threatened mammals, with a focus on the plight of elephants held in captivity, who often face abuse and neglect.
Juliette West, a 16-year-old animal activist, made a presentation to the LA City Council in support of the adoption of Elephant Awareness Day. Along with her organization JulietteSpeaks, West has been advocating for animal welfare since she was 9, with a special focus on speaking out against elephant abuse. She often speaks at schools and youth organizations, encouraging young people to get involved in activism: “You are more powerful than you think!”
Whether or not you live in Los Angeles, there are many ways you can help raise awareness of captive elephant welfare and mistreatment:
Top 10 Ways You Can Help
Originally published on JulietteSpeaks.org
1. Get out there and learn all you can!
2. Hit the offenders where it hurts: profits
3. Become a private investigator
4. Use social media to your advantage
If social media can escalate political uprisings all over the world, it certainly has the power to work to protect our “gentle giants.”
5. Create or sign a petition
6. Become a volunteer
7. Invite Juliette to give a presentation at your school.
8. Reach out to the media
9. Organize a charity event
10. Set up a table with petitions, flyers and literature outside your public library.
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.