Despite the campaign’s success, there’s still a long ways to go. Companies such as Disney and GAP continue to refuse to Detox. You, however, can join the fight for toxic-free fashion, and here’s what you can do:
1. Start by watching this revealing YouTube clip on how people power truly is changing the face of fashion.
2. Show this infographic, “A Detox Fairy Tale,” to any children you know. Get it into school classrooms to help educate them about what’s actually in their clothing. Science teachers can use the online Water Warrior tool kit to teach students about the importance of protecting our global water supply.
3. Sign the Detox Fashion Manifesto to add your personal voice to the campaign.
4. Learn how to Detox your own wardrobe. Greenpeace provides practical pointers here that include buying second-hand, opting for high-quality classics that won’t need to be replaced anytime soon, supporting eco-friendly brands, learning how to mend, refusing distressed denim (aka “killer jeans”), and washing less.
5. Post a picture of yourself on Instagram wearing a plain (no brand name) T-shirt. In the caption field, type hashtags #detox #peoplepower and the name of whatever brand you’d like to see Detox.
Article by Katherine Martinko