A bountiful assortment of grilled vegetables artfully arrayed on a platter with a knock-your-socks-off sauce of garlicky mayonnaise: this is a feast! It can be served as an hors d’oeuvre or will make a lovely summery meal with the addition of bread and cheese.
You can replace the vegetables suggested here with others as they come into season, and the leftovers can be used in pasta sauces, sandwiches, wraps, pizzas — endless possibilities for terrific taste!
This is also a great way to get kids to eat their veggies.
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, thyme, basil, or oregano
Salt and black pepper
1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled, if desired, and sliced ¼ inch thick
4 ounces baby green beans, trimmed
4 ounces baby carrots
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 small zucchini, cut into quarters or eighths and sliced into 3-inch spears
1 small yellow summer squash, cut into quarters or eighths and sliced into 3-inch spears
12 imported brine- or oil-cured olives
1 recipe Aioli
1. Prepare a medium fire in he grill with a lightly oiled vegetable grill rack in place.
2. Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the potatoes and toss to coat.
3. Lift the potatoes out of the marinade with a slotted spoon. Grill, turning occasionally, until browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Arrange the potatoes on a serving platter.
4. Add the green beans, carrots, peppers, zucchini, and summer squash to the marinade and toss to coat well. Lift the vegetables out of the marinade with a slotted spoon. Grill, tossing frequently, until tender and grill-marked, about 10 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the grill as they are done and arrange on top of the potatoes.
5. To serve, scatter the olives on top of the vegetables. Pass the aioli on the side.
4 garlic cloves
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and black pepper
1. In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, mince the garlic. Add the egg and process until completely mixed. With the motor running, slowly pour in 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Stop the machine and add the lemon juice. Then, with the motor running, slowly add the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil and process until the mixture is thickened and the oil is emulsified. Add salt and pepper to taste.
2. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours before serving to allow the raw garlic flavor to mellow a little.