Chocolate Cream Pie
yields one 8″ pie
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup organic sunflower oil
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 cup orange juice
1/2 Tbsp. dry sweetener
1. Sift flour into a bowl. Remove any bran.
2. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and whisk together with sweetener.
3. Mix dry ingredients into the wet. Dough should be wet enough to hold together and dry enough not to stick to your fingers. It is best to use this dough immediately for easy rolling. (Otherwise, wrap and chill until ready to use.)
4. Roll dough between two pieces of wax paper, (dampen a flat surface and place wax paper on it, flattening to remove bubbles) or use flour to keep dough from sticking. Roll from the center outward, until even, about 1/8” thick. Place the rolled dough in a pie plate and gently press it into the plate, covering the sides and bottom.
5. Pre-bake crust at 350° for 6-10 minutes until golden-brown. Let cool.
Image: Javier Kohen
Next page: chocolate cream filling