Vegan Lemon Biscotti
Cookies are my Kryptonite. Well, that might not be the whole story as there are about 100 other items that make me weak in the knees and promise my swift downfall. But cookies, they take the cake. So I figure if I can make healthier cookies, I may be less destined for the swift downfall–which brings me to another sweet vegan recipe, this one courtesy of The Vegan Family Cookbook by Brian McCarthy (Lantern books, 2006).
6 ounces silken tofu
1 cup organic sugar (or try Sucanat)
1/3 cup extra light olive oil
Zest of 2 lemons
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour (you can replace half with whole wheat flour if you like)
1 cup semolina flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
1. In a food processor or blender, combine tofu, sugar, oil, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, almonds, and salt.
3. Stir tofu mixture into flour mixture.
4. On an oiled cookie sheet, form dough into two 12-inch long logs.
5. Bake for 25 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and cool on counter for 15 minutes.
7. Reduce oven temperature to 300 F.
8. Slice logs into 1/2-inch slices and lay slices flat on ungreased cookie sheets.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, turning cookies once after 20 minutes. Additional cooking time may be added for an even crunchier cookie.