Vegan Smoky Mushroom Gravy
Mashed potatoes and gravy are a Thanksgiving staple, but most recipes leave a lot to be desired for health-conscious folks and vegans. This creamy mushroom gravy will satisfy all your mashed potato cravings, without sacrificing your health.
As a bonus, it’s a simple sauce to whip up — whether it’s for a Thanksgiving dinner party or a busy weeknight. It feels really fancy, but it’s easy to make — and easier to love.
This recipe comes from Care2 author Andrea Devon Bertoli‘s new cookbook Gettin’ Saucy: 38 Recipes to Make your Meals Sassier and Saucier. To pre-order her cookbook, visit her Indiegogo page.
And if you’re looking for a complementary dish for this gravy, visit our guide for making the perfect vegan mashed potatoes.
Recipe: Smoky Mushroom Gravy
By Andrea Devon Bertoli, Gettin’ Saucy
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced mixed mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 2-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon each caraway seeds, dried thyme, and dried basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened plant-based milk
- 2 Tablespoons potato starch
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke -or- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked salt
1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil until warm. Add mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Cook without stirring until mushrooms are very soft, about 10 minutes. Add herbs and stir to combine.
2. Reduce heat to low, and slowly add in 1 cup of milk.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 1⁄2 cup of milk, starch, soy sauce, and liquid smoke until starch is dissolved. Add starch mixture to mushroom mixture and stir well to combine.
4. Continue stirring until starch activates and thickens. Remove from heat immediately.
Photo Credit: Andrea Devon Bertoli