Against all odds, there are still plenty of zucchini lining up for one last hurrah at the greenmarket. Trying not to be outdone by the arrival of their bright and beguiling autumn neighbors (butternut squash! pumpkins!), the earnest zucchini seem to be calling out “buy me, buy me!” And to them, I succumb. I can put off one more week of fall produce for one last shot of zucchini–with which I will say ta-ta to summer, once and for all, with this lovely vegan zucchini cake.
1 medium zucchini
1/2 cups pitted dates
1/2 cup water
3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teapoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium apple, shredded
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup Sucanat or organic brown sugar
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
8 ounces soy yogurt
4 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 12 tablespoons water until gelatenous
1/4 cup light vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla
1. Shred zucchini, place in a colander to drain for 15 minutes, then squeeze excess water out.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan.
3. Over medium heat, cook dates, stirring, in water until you have a smooth and thick liquid.
4. In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add shredded apple, then stir in zucchini, dates, cinnamon, cocoa, Sucanat, chocolate chips, yogurt, flaxseed gel, oil and vanilla.
5. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 45 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.