Veggie Pot Pie
There is something really comforting about pot pie, a soothing food for the soul! Made with a light cheddar cheese sauce, this version of pot pie has a wonderful flavor and is loaded with tons of veggies. We use filo* pastry crust on top, which makes it lighter and not as doughy. Really delicious!
2 cups asparagus, chopped in 1 inch pieces
1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced in whole moons
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup potatoes, cubed and parboiled
¼ cup peas
1 ½ cup leeks, sliced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups 2% milk
½ cup water
1½ tablespoon cornstarch
½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon butter
1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning
6 half sheets filo pastry*
Olive oil for brushing filo
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In large frying pan sauté leeks, carrots, celery and garlic in butter. After 5 minutes add mushrooms and asparagus. Sauté another 5 minutes until just tender.
- Whisk cold milk and water with cornstarch and add mixture to frying pan. (If pan is getting too full at this point you can transfer to a pot.) Allow sauce to thicken about 2 minutes and add cheese. Turn off heat and whisk in seasonings.
- Pour mixture into 8×8 oiled pan.
- Place single filo sheet on top of the mixture and brush with a light layer of olive oil. Continue until you have layered all 6 sheets on top of each other.
- Place in oven and bake for 35 minutes or until the filo is golden brown.
Total Cooking time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
*“Phyllo, filo, or fillo dough (from Greek filo ‘leaf’) are paper-thin sheets of unleavened flour dough used for making pastries in Middle Eastern and Balkan cuisine”…Wikipedia