Incense has long been a traditional part of every culture.
It is most likely that with the discovery of fire, scraps of resinous wood were
tossed upon the flames, causing a remarkable fragrance to climb up
among a mystic smoke. Around the campfire, shoulders relaxed, voices
softened, all was calm and safe. Mankind had discovered the power of
fragrant smoke, or incense.
Incense is so revered in Japan that they have an incense ceremony that
elevates the practice of burning incense into a spiritual act, just as
they have a tea ceremony.
Here is a thoughtful list of ten virtues of incense that were believed
to have been written by an anonymous Zen monk of the sixth century.
Discover some benefits of incense you may not know!
1. Incense brings communication and the transcendent.
2. It purifies mind and body.
3. It removes uncleanliness.
4. It brings alertness.
5. It is a companion to solitude.
6. In the midst of activity, it brings a moment of peace.
7. When there is plenty, one never tires of it.
8. When there is little, still one is satisfied.
9. Age does not change its efficacy.
10. Used every day, it does no harm.
Adapted from The Essence of Incense, by Diana Rosen (Storey Books). Copyright (c)
2001, by Diana Rosen. Reprinted by permission of Storey Books.
Adapted from The Essence of Incense, by Diana Rosen (Storey Books, 2001).