This cookbook is the wave of the future for sustainable cooking–and the recipes are top-notch. This protein-rich and easy-to-make casserole is the perfect example: Easy on the planet, your wallet, and your health.
Try this robust blend of rice, onions, and walnuts topped with a savory cheese sauce. It makes such comforting cool-weather fare:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 large eggs, beaten
Sea salt to taste
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 1/4 cups cooked brown rice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup vegetable stock
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Oil a loaf pan (8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 3/4-inch).
2. In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and saute, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes, until translucent. Add remaining casserole ingredients and transfer to prepared loaf pan. Bake 30 minutes until slightly browned and firm.
3. Meanwhile, melt the butter over medium heat in a medium skillet. Stir in the flour and cook this roux for about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring.
4. Add stock and milk and stir thoroughly to combine. Add cheese and allow to simmer until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve each portion of casserole with a generous dollop of cheese sauce.
Serves 4 – 6.