By becoming familiar with the warnings that a dog is upset, you have a better chance of avoiding a dog bite. Look for these warning signs:
• Ears laid back against his head or his legs are very stiff.
• If the hair on his back is standing up.
• If a dog is growling or barking with his teeth showing, it means he is ready to bite.
If you think a dog is about to bite you:
• Remain motionless and look and look at the ground.
• Count to five to yourself
• Move away very slowly, sideways or backwards.
• If the dog jumps on you, act like a rock by curling up into a ball and covering your face and head with your arms.
• Don’t stare at the dog.
• Don’t run, jump or wave your arms around.
• Don’t scream.