I love zucchini – it is one of my favorite vegetables. It is sweet, easy and quick to cook.
When I was very ill I could only eat 12 foods. Zucchini was one of those 12 foods. One benefit of zucchini is that is is highly digestible. At the time, I had very poor digestion and I had to prepare it a special way.† I ate this daily for over a year. You can read this method in the last recipe at the bottom of this article. You can also read more about my health challenges at Diana’s Story.
Zucchini Facts and Nutrition Benefits:
- Zucchini origins have been traced back to Mexico, from 7,000 to 5,500 BC!† They were part of the ancient diet of maize, beans, and squashes.
- Zucchini contains folate, potassium, vitamin A, and vitamin C.
- The darker the squash, the more nutrients it has.
- Dark green zucchini have beta carotene. All types provide minerals.
- The high water content (95 percent) of zucchinis makes them low in calories. There are only 13 calories in a half-cup of raw zucchini.
- Of those few calories, there are very few simple sugars and no health destroying white sugars.
- Zucchini are rich in antioxidants – particularly helpful in protection of the eye, including protection against age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Definitely wash your zucchini but donít peel because most of the nutrients are in the skin.
Next: zucchini recipes