This morning, I was sitting on my couch drinking my coffee (happiness!), and my cat Pumkin came over for her morning love. We have a thing in our house where I sit in Baddha Konasana (cobbler’s pose) on the couch—completely slouched, mind you, and covered in soft cashmere blankets—and make a “nest” for kids or cats (or kids pretending to be birds) to hang out in. Pumkin came over and started kneading my belly, the way cats will. And I thought to myself…”yesssssss!” I mean, how often do we women get our bellies gently, lovingly, purringly massaged? Even my masseuse, whom I adore, avoids the stomach area. This is just one reason, I thought to myself, why woman love cats. Here are a few more:
1. If we had tails, we would use them to communicate the way cats do.Cats’ tails are so much more expressive than dogs’ tails. I love my dog, but there are only one or two different motions that tail makes. Cats…well, there’s the “I’m tolerating you, but I don’t really like it” swish. Then there is the “interesting, very, very interesting” full-bodied wag. Then there is the “I’m getting angry and I really mean it” snap of the tail. There are lots more tail expressions, but those are just a few of my favorites.
2. They don’t beg, they demand. Here is the brutal truth, all woman crave an “alpha” (which is why we love romance novels so much). But with cats it’s even better: There is no guessing—you know what they want, when they want it, and how they want it. It’s such a relief because we can just give up for a while.
3. You can leave them alone for a few days and they’ll be just fine. Really, what could be better? Some food, some water, some kitty litter, and they’ll still be happy to see you when you come home…sort of…in that cat way of showing happiness…if they feel like it.
4. Their incessant sensual napping, while making me jealous, is a reminder to take time out to rest. I can’t tell you how many times I have requested to come back as a cat in my next life. Pumkin manages to find the softest, fluffiest, most peaceful, and warm spots and spend hours, literally hours, curled up in a ball of serenity. I want more of that in my life.
5. They are as cute as kids, but without all the fuss. Whether it’s their kitten eyes of innocence, or their inability to resist batting at a piece of yarn or a toy. Actually, they are as cute as puppies, but are immediately house-trained. I mean, what could be better?
OK. Now it’s your turn. Why do you think women love cats? (And don’t try to deny it, either.)