Yam and Carrot Delight
This is a great twist on the traditional Yam Casserole for Thanksgiving. Carrots make this dish lighter and rich tasting. Serving it in oranges makes it fun and colorful – adding a sparkle to your Thanksgiving meal. You can also serve it without marshmallows and pecans if you prefer. It’s oh so delicious!
3 medium yams
1 ½ lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 cups water
1 cup Earth balance** or butter
1 cup 2 % milk
¼ cup sour cream
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ cup pecan halves
1 cup vegan mini marshmallows*
- Wash yams, cut deep slit in each and bake in pan at 375 degrees until tender (around 1 hour.) Cool slightly and remove skins.
- Place carrots in saucepan with water, ½ cup of Earth balance, 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In food processor, puree cooked yams, carrots with remaining liquid from cooking carrots, ½ cup Earth Balance, milk, sour cream, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Puree for 5 minutes or until mixture is very creamy.
- Prepare oranges by cutting tops off oranges. Using a paring knife, cut along edge of the orange flesh where the rind connects and scoop out with spoon, removing as much as possible. (Save inside part of oranges for a fruit salad or snack).
- Fill oranges with puree. If you like, place marshmallows along edge of orange and a couple of pecan halves in the middle.
- Place oranges in pan and put in oven for 2-3 minutes or until marshmallows are just browned. Be careful not to burn.
- Serve extra filling on the side either heated or at room temperature.
Total cooking time: 1.5 hours
*We use Dandies Vegan Marshmallows. Can be found at Whole Foods.
Ingredients: Vegan Beet Sugar, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Corn Dextrose, Water, Carrageenan, Soy Protein, Natural Vanilla Flavor, Titanium Dioxide (a natural mineral), Salt.
Contains Soy. Gluten Free. 100% Vegan. Certified Kosher. http://www.chicagoveganfoods.com/dandies_vegan_marshmallows/
**Earth Balance is a buttery spread that does not contain any hydrogenated or interesterified oils, preservatives or emulsifiers found in most margarines and other butter alternatives. It is a natural option with 0g of trans fat. It includes different types of oils, including olive and coconut.
Responses to your Comments!
“I’m unclear how this is “100% VEGAN” when it has both milk AND sour cream??”
The ingredient list was just for the marshmallows. We were so excited that we found any that weren’t just made with corn syrup!
“And where is the soy protein it warns against at the bottom coming from?”
Once again just in the marshmallows.
“Looks delicious but we don’t have a food processor!”
Try using a stand mixer or with a hand held electric mixer.
Next – Kickin’ Cranberry Sauce
Kickin’ Cranberry Sauce
This is a fabulous twist on standard cranberry sauce. Half an orange added, rind and all, gives it a zesty orange flavor. Cinnamon and ginger adds depth and richness. It’s tart and tasty and super easy to make.
12 oz. fresh cranberries
1 cup coconut sugar
1 cup water
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger, peeled and minced
½ navel orange
Place cranberries in small pot with water and sugar. Heat on medium low, reducing to low once it comes to a simmer. Stir occasionally.
Mince orange finely in food processor or by hand, including rind.
Add orange to cranberry mix along with ginger and cinnamon.
Allow to cook for 20-25 minutes or until the cranberries break down and sauce thickens as the water cooks off. Make sure to stir frequently so it doesn’t burn.
Total cooking time: 30 minutes