Pets and Disasters
Share ideas and thoughts in the Care2 Cafe.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency offers advice:
- Don't leave pets behind if you must evacuate.
- Pets are not allowed in homeless shelters, so find local hotels and other locations where you CAN bring your pet.
- Keep an emergency pet pack with food, a leash, water, medication, and a first aid kit as well as current vet records.
- Keep a secure pet carrier available in case the pet needs to be confined.
- Make sure to keep ID on your pet at all times.
- Keep a current picture of your pet.
- Put a sticker in your window that tells firemen and firewomen how many and what type of pets live in your house.