Most Americans Want $15 Minimum Wage – Help Make It a Reality

The consensus amongst Americans is that American workers should learn a living wage. According to the most recent polls, a majority of Americans Ė 55 percent – believe that the federal minimum wage ought to be increased to $15.

What should be an easy position to support didnít go mainstream overnight, though. Years of grassroots efforts and campaigns were necessary to nudge the general population into understanding why this crusade is necessary.

Petition: Support the Raise the Wage Act to get a $15 minimum wage

Thatís because, for a long time, the rhetoric on minimum wage was a dismissive one. ďItís just teenagers who earn minimum wage!Ē theyíd say. ďItís the appropriate amount of pay for low-skill positions.Ē

On the contrary, the average age of a minimum wage earner is 35, with 88 percent of such employees being 21 or older. The minimum wage hasnít come anywhere close to keeping up with inflation, and as a result, there isnít a single county in the entire U.S. where someone earning a full-time minimum wage salary can reasonably afford the average price of rent.

It also wasnít immediately obvious to Americans that when companies in this country donít pay their employees a living wage, itís the rest of us as taxpayers that have to make up the difference in the form of social programs. It shouldnít matter how ďlow-skilledĒ a job is, if it requires someone to give up their time to do it, that warrants at least enough money for people to cover basic necessities.

In the same Hill-HarrisX poll, only 14 percent wanted to keep the minimum wage at its current rate of $7.25, but we can forget about them. When you factor in the 27 percent who want to see the minimum wage increased (though not all the way to $15 like the original 55 percent) that combined 82 percent seems like a nationwide mandate.

So the sentiment is there, now we just need action on the legislative level. Fortunately, some on the left are already taking up that crusade. This month, Senator Bernie Sanders introduced legislation to incrementally raise the federal minimum wage to $15 an hour by the year 2024.

Sanders, currently a registered Independent, has introduced similar bills to this one in the past, but itís the first time he has substantial support from Democrats. Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and hundreds of Dem co-sponsors are also on board for the Raise the Wage Act.

Take Action

The minimum wage hasnít increased in a full decade, so itís well past time to get the Republicans on board for a wage boost. Sign this petition thanking Democrats for promoting the Raise the Wage Act, and also ask the conservative contingency to recognize the importance of paying American workers a living wage.

67 comments

Helen C
Helen C4 days ago

thanks

SEND
Ben O
Ben O6 days ago

Signed 2 weeks ago...

SEND
Janis K
Janis K8 days ago

You signed on January 30, 2019

SEND
Joan E
Joan E9 days ago

Glad to see a $15 minimum wage, but I wish it could go all the way to $15 more quickly. The longer it takes, the less $15 will be worth when we get there.

SEND
Dr. Jan H
Dr. Jan H10 days ago

thanks

SEND
Leo C
Leo C11 days ago

Thank you for sharing!

SEND
Joanna M
Joanna M13 days ago

Overall, $15/hr sounds like a great idea. But the main concern I have is what happens to people who are currently earning that amount or not much higher after college/skills training/years of experience/etc? It isn't fair to them that a newbie can come in and get the same amount instantly; yet I doubt every employer is suddenly going to be bumping all these folks up to $20 or $25. I never hear anyone address this issue but IMO it's really important as well.

SEND
Joanna M
Joanna M13 days ago

@ Mary B - David F cited nothing but facts in his comments. Instead of bashing him simply because his words didn't align with your desires/opinions, why not actually cite some facts of your own?

SEND
Joanna M
Joanna M13 days ago

Interesting statistics...totally contrary to what the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports. https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2017/home.htm

SEND
Sue H
Sue H13 days ago

Petition signed 2.3.19. A living wage should be a right.

SEND