How to Tackle a Mold Problem

If you’re doing a home improvement project, there are many hazards to be aware of before you start—from lead in paint to radon in your basement. So it’s a good idea to always test before you start the work. Once you get into things, if your project reveals hidden mold problems inside walls, you’ll need to fix them. Here’s how:

·      Find the source of the problem. Is it a leak? Condensation? Something else? If you can’t find it, consult an expert.

·      Assess the scope of the damage. If the affected area is greater than 10 square feet, you’ll probably need professional help.

·      For small areas, dry thoroughly using heaters and dehumidifiers if necessary.

·      For smaller problems, scrub the mold off hard surfaces. The EPA says soap and water will do the trick. A very weak bleach and water solution is also known to kill spores. If you’re someone who doesn’t normally use chlorine bleach, this may be a time to compromise. Dry everything completely. (Also see: 3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally)

·      Throw away any contaminated porous items like carpets and ceiling tile. They’re virtually impossible to clean. If you need to save something or are unsure how to clean it, consult a restoration specialist.

·      If you choose to do the work yourself, keep the kids away, ventilate the area, and wear an N-95 respirator while you work, a common type of face mask engineered to prevent particles like mold spores from being inhaled. Since mold exposure is linked to respiratory issues, you want to minimize inhalation of spores. These are available at hardware stores as well as big box home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowe’s.

If the damage is minimal, the mold is removed, and its cause is halted, your problems may be over. But if you continue to see mold or signs of moisture, smell mold, or have family members with symptoms of mold exposure, seek outside help.



3 Ways to Kill Mold Naturally
Easy Steps to Healthy Home Improvement
– a Healthy Child Healthy World e-book
Keep Your Family Safe From Asbestos
Top 5 Tips for a Healthy and Safe Nursery


Chrissie R
Chrissie R23 days ago

Usually best to at least consult with a professional. Mold's no joke.

Kate M.
.2 years ago

Thanks that you explained every single word in a great manner that everybody can understand well.

Val M.
Val M3 years ago


Debbie Crowe
Debbie Crowe3 years ago

The house we lived at before moving here, had very little insulation. One wall in our closet was on the outside wall. Every spring, I would have a mold problem on that wall. I would wash it down with Pine sol and water and it would be gone (until the following spring, that is).

Danuta Watola
Danuta W3 years ago

Thanks for sharing!!

Debbie S.
Past Member 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing.

Roger Bachelet
Roger Bachelet3 years ago

Thank for sharing;
I had molds on one of my wall due to a leak. After painting (and cleaning), molds were coming back. I was advised to use crystal vinegar for cleaning. Success! The molds disapeared.
This is cheap and good for environment.

Maria A.
Past Member 3 years ago

I have been fortunate in that I do not have an interior mold problem. Living along the Gulf of Mexico is really humid and mold readily grows on exterior surfaces. Bleach is commonly used on outside walls but it doesn't last long. Four to six months. We use the air conditioner or heater to keep the humidity down on the inside. Keeping pipes maintained helps too. A very slow leak can cause mold to develop.

Thank you.

Val M.
Val M3 years ago