Poison Prevention

It is always a good time to make changes to protect your companion animals from accidental poisoning.

Note: For emergencies scroll down to “Emergency Help.”

The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) provides an alert about common household products that can be dangerous and even deadly to pets. Called Chocolate, Daffodils and many Household Items Can Poison Pets, the alert is available online .

According to Dr. Steve Hansen, director of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, medications and flea control products are some of the most frequent commercial products that poison pets.

More pet poison prevention tips are available online, and includes a list of common foods that are poisonous to pets, including some surprises such as yeast dough, coffee grounds, tomato leaves and stems, and onions.
More tips are also available at Pet Poisoning Prevention.

Watch out for those avocado leaves, bittersweet, daffodils, and other plants that are toxic to animals! Make sure to know what plants you have may be toxic to your pet companions by checking the
Toxic Plant Database
at the Veterinary Medicine Library at University of Illinois. For an introduction to the University of Illinois database of plants toxic to pets click here , or try the list from the Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service.

For a list of specific garden plants toxic to pets, click here.

Emergency Help
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, an operating division of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and affiliated with the University of Illinois, is the only animal-oriented poison control center in North America.

In an emergency call your vet and The Animal Poison Control Center’s 24-hour animal poison control center staffed by veterinarians at 888-4ANI-HELP (888-426-4435). The fee is $45 per case, including as many follow up calls as necessary, and it could save your pet’s life.

The staff of the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center are veterinary health professionals who have been trained in veterinary toxicology and the many differences between the various species of animals.


Philippa P
Philippa P11 months ago

Thanks for the valuable information.

Jeanne Rogers
Jeanne R1 years ago

Great info! Thank you for sharing.

Reverend Pennie Mumm CD M

Do watch your home water supply quality! My kitties stopped drinking, I got bottled water and they are happily gulping it down AND feeling better!

Sonia Minwer-Barakat Requ

Great post,very helpful.Thanks for sharing

Tanya W.
Tanya W4 years ago

Thanks. I am so careful.

Natasha Salgado
Past Member 4 years ago

This is always good to know.thanks!!!

Riva L.
Riva L.5 years ago


Danuta Watola
Danuta W5 years ago

Thanks for the info

Donna Hamilton
Donna Hamilton5 years ago

Thanks for the info.

Louise J.
Louise J5 years ago

Another one that people should be aware of is anitfreeze. It tastes sweet to dogs and can kill them pretty quickly. Also be aware that there may be traces of it on driveways, in garages etc, so if you use antifreeze, best off thoroughly cleaning down areas where it may have spilled. It's a lot easier than dealing with the unnecessary loss of your beloved pet.