Start A Petition

Teen Blows Off Finger With Homemade Bomb


Society & Culture  (tags: teen, explosion, lostfinger, sydney, stupidity.australia )

Ali
- 4294 days ago - news.com.au
A SYDNEY teenager has lost part of his finger after an explosion involving sparkler powder. Paramedics were called to Attow St at Winston Hills, northwest of Sydney, at about 3.15pm (AEST) where the 15-year-old boy is believed to have filled a copper



   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.

Comments

Holly Troubetzkoy (167)
Saturday August 18, 2007, 3:51 am
Helen thank you for the report. Both men are in stable but stupid condition? Helen this is a worry since I live in a country where fire works are the big thing for the New Year and people ahve been blowoing bits and pieces off from the first new year I was here. The number who then decide to make their own bombs is large and increasing. I have a son who, if he was continually being told how dangerous this can be without the proper background and materials and pertection. I wish he had not lost his finger. I do not know if that will prove an educational loss. Does mess up piano and guitar and violin and typing, etc. Too bad. Holly T
 

Past Member (0)
Saturday August 18, 2007, 12:30 pm
NOTED!!
 

Ali Hirst (286)
Saturday August 18, 2007, 1:25 pm
Here in Qld fireworks are illegal unless used by a trained person. You can't buy them here but people go over the border to get them, or use unlawful ways of getting them. We had a incident in Qld a few years ago now where a Groom as a surprise for his new wife order fireworks for their reception which was outdoors, and something went terribly wrong and a skyrocket exploded near her and killed her. So I am very much against fireworks as in the wrong hands they are as dangerous as a gun.
 

Jaclin S (230)
Saturday August 18, 2007, 2:23 pm
Noted. Agreed Helen fireworks are not only dangerous they to my my are a dreadful waste of money. When I was a girl we had organised fireworks displays down on the beach and people just went to watch - lots safer!!!
Love & Light
 

Lauren Stone (586)
Saturday August 18, 2007, 9:48 pm
Aren't kids FUN!? Good grief, it's amazing that any of us reach adulthood with most of our 'bits' intact. The other day my 6 years old tried to perform 'plastic surgery' (accidentally) with a very sharp paint scraper and sliced open the bridge of his nose! Thank goodness for liquid bandages.
 

OLY D (73)
Monday August 20, 2007, 10:08 am
i REALLY THINK KIDS SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM ALL KINDS OF FIRE WORKS!!! AFTER ALL THEY ARE KIDS WHAT ARE THEY DOING PLAYING WITH FIRE ANYWAY..
 

Anonymous Anonoymous (0)
Wednesday August 22, 2007, 1:11 am
the people which this happened to are my friends. i myself am 18. the two boys in question, one is 15 and the other one ios 17 he doesnt turn 18 until september. from what i can gather from their younger brother in yr 7. the 17 year old was working on his woodwork major design for yr 12 just like i am (we're in the same class and have been best friends since yr 7). the 17 yr old was using teh vice to glue some pieces of wood together while his 15 yr old brother was working next to him on teh same workbench. the 15yr old filled the copper pipe with sparkler shavings and tehn procedded to use a bolt upside down to compact teh sparkler powder with a hammer. somehow a spark was produced, i would assume it was from teh hammer and the bolt touching. an explosion occured and the 15 yr old has lost up to the end of his nail on one of thumbs and the 17 yr old has a chunk missing from his arm with shrapnel all up his arm. the 15 yr old was very stupid indeed it was stupid that he compacted the powder in teh first place, the two brothers hava history of playing with these types of things, i have joined them once or twice and i understand the dangers, but to compact teh powder we all know its stupid and i dont know y the 15 yr old tryed it.
 

Ali Hirst (286)
Wednesday August 22, 2007, 2:10 am
Hi Anonymous. Well we know boys will be boys and even worse could have happened. I certainly hope your friends are okay and that they have learnt a lesson from this. Welcome to another Aussie on Care2
 

Teresa del Castillo (1519)
Monday September 10, 2007, 3:43 pm
noted
 
Or, log in with your
Facebook account:
Please add your comment: (plain text only please. Allowable HTML: <a>)


Track Comments: Notify me with a personal message when other people comment on this story


Loading Noted By...Please Wait

 


butterfly credits on the news network

  • credits for vetting a newly submitted story
  • credits for vetting any other story
  • credits for leaving a comment
learn more

Most Active Today in Society & Culture





 
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.

New to Care2? Start Here.