Start A Petition

Revealed: Almost 300 Suspected Terrorists, Criminals and Illegal Migrants Are Trying to Cross the UK Border EVERY DAY


World  (tags: Large numbers, Terrorists, criminals, entering UK as refugees )

Patricia
- 1276 days ago - dailymail.co.uk
A record 99,500 alerts were issued last year by the National Border Targeting Centre (NBTC), the base once dubbed 'Stasi HQ' because it remotely screens all passengers entering or leaving the country by checking their previous journeys, criminal records a



   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.

Comments

Patricia Martinez (63)
Sunday December 27, 2015, 7:59 pm

Video at site

A record 99,500 alerts were issued last year by the National Border Targeting Centre (NBTC), the base once dubbed 'Stasi HQ' because it remotely screens all passengers entering or leaving the country by checking their previous journeys, criminal records and other habits.

46 alleged extremists were blocked from travelling to Syria to fight for Islamic State in the past six months – close to two a week.

Elsewhere, hundreds more have been sent on deradicalisation courses after police discovered they wanted to become jihadis.

The number of people referred to police as potential extremists under the Government's Prevent scheme has rocketed to 3,288 in six months after teachers, lecturers and doctors were forced by law to report their concerns.

Social workers are taking children away from their terror suspect parents, with seven taken into care in the East London borough Tower Hamlets alone in the past year.

The revelations come amid concerns that innocent travellers are being unfairly singled out as dangerous before they travel.

Growing numbers of Muslim families say they have been prevented from boarding flights to the US at the last minute, and as the MoS revealed last week, the US Department for Homeland Security wants to extend checks by stationing armed agents with the power to search holidaymakers at Heathrow and Manchester airports.

Last night, Lord Carlile of Berriew QC, the former terror law watchdog, said the increased number of border alerts was a result of the heightened threat from jihadis.

'Given what has happened in the past year and the fragility of the European border system, the authorities would be acting irresponsibly if there were not more alerts,' he said.

'The border agencies are doing the best they can in a situation in which the threat level is severe and they do act on an intelligence-led basis. That means they sometimes get it wrong, but I would rather they get it wrong on a small percentage of cases than there was a bomb in Oxford Street.'

Figures obtained by this newspaper under the Freedom of Information Act show for the first time a huge increase in border alerts in the past two years, coinciding with the rise of Islamic State and the heightened terror threat in Britain.

The Home Office-run NBTC, which is based in Manchester and costs more than £7 million a year to run, receives details from airlines of all passengers flying to or from Britain, including their names, dates of birth, nationality and passport numbers.

Its 200 staff can also obtain details of passengers' flight plans, including seat numbers, and even their full travel history dating back a decade. It means even those with no criminal record can be flagged as suspicious on a Warnings Index based on their previous visits to certain countries, leading to the NBTC being dubbed 'Stasi HQ' when it was established.

The officials then check these details against criminal record databases to see if the passengers are known or suspected terrorists, criminals or immigration offenders.

In its first full year of operation, 2010-11, a total of 61,000 alerts were sent out by the NBTC for border guards or local police to be on the lookout for particular individuals. The following year, 60,500 travellers were flagged and in 2012-13 – the year of the London Olympics – it was 62,000.

In a single month that year, September 2012, the NBTC received 15 million passenger details, matched 250,000 of them against persons of interest, and issued 6,000 alerts to border staff and police.

Then in 2013-14 the annual number of alerts issued soared to 91,000 and in 2014-15, as hundreds of British Islamists travelled to fight on the battlefields of Syria and Iraq, it rose again to reach a record 99,500 – equivalent to 273 a day. The soaring number of alerts was highlighted by Britain's top counter-terrorism cop, assistant commissioner Mark Rowley, as he gave an update to Scotland Yard chiefs in the summer.

The Home Office declined to say how many of these alerts led to travellers being blocked from boarding planes or arrested at airports. But latest statistics show that 18,038 people were refused entry to Britain in 2014-15 – 4,905 of them in Calais.

Meanwhile, there has been a surge in the number of potential extremists assessed by police since the public sector was forced by law to report concerns to the Government's anti-radicalisation scheme.

CASE STUDIES

Picked up three times... but free to plot

A teenager who was caught on his way to behead a soldier had refused three times to join the Government’s deradicalisation scheme.

Brusthom Ziamani, then just 18, became radicalised within just a few months of converting to Islam in April 2014.

He was kicked out of his family home after he became a Muslim and turned to the banned extremist group Al-Muhajiroun, attending meetings in the basement of a halal sweet shop in East London.

Ziamani was arrested for a matter not related to terrorism in June and police found in his jeans pocket a ripped-up note to his parents, in which he wrote about British soldiers being beheaded and said he would wage war against the UK Government as he could not travel to Syria.

It was then that officials in the Prevent anti-terrorism scheme tried to talk him out of his increasingly extreme views, contacting him on three occasions in an attempt to avoid a vulnerable teenager being prosecuted.

But Ziamani, above right, refused to engage with them and continued on the path to becoming a dangerous extremist, writing on Facebook that he was ‘willing to die in the cause of Allah’.

When he was arrested again in August 2014 in a joint police and MI5 investigation, he was carrying a 12in knife, a hammer and an Islamic flag. He had shown the weapons to his girlfriend that day and told her he was on his way to kill soldiers.

Ziamani, from Camberwell, South London, was found guilty earlier this year of preparing an act of terrorism and was jailed for 22 years at the Old Bailey.

Official figures collated by the National Police Chiefs' Council show that there were a record 3,228 referrals to the Channel programme between April and October this year. Of these, 2,180 came from school teachers, social workers and health professionals, while just 280 were from family, friends and faith leaders. The rest mainly came from police and prisons.

By contrast, there were only 1,681 referrals the previous year and 748 in 2012-13.

Police chiefs also revealed that 46 would-be foreign fighters 'have been prevented from travelling to Syria' in the first half of the year, with another 160 'with aspirations to travel to Syria' put on deradicalisation programmes and 225 'being successfully dissuaded from undertaking extremist activity related to Syria'.

 

Past Member (0)
Sunday December 27, 2015, 8:59 pm
Europe is a mess--most countries there will never be the same again. Travel there now if you can before it gets really bad.
 

Past Member (0)
Monday December 28, 2015, 9:12 am
Yes they are, & only last week a Muslim family of 12 tried to board a plane & go to Disney in Florida, they were stopped, thanks to David Cameron's airport security,, Obama would have never stopped them.
 

Shil O (0)
Tuesday December 29, 2015, 9:26 am
"A teenager who was caught on his way to behead a soldier had refused three times to join the Government’s deradicalisation scheme. "
We are governed by imbeciles who think islam is spread by peaceful means
I wonder does David take the classes on deradicalisation ,because no mohammedan could unless of course he was lying
The government has dug itself into a hole with its PC behaviour and now has lost the plot completely
 

Patricia Martinez (63)
Tuesday December 29, 2015, 11:26 am


Well remember that we have to be very, very nice to the radicals, or else we risk insulting them. There may be very good reasons why this teenager refused.

For example, did the government say "pretty please with a cherry on top?" Or, "If you enter this program, I'll give you my daughter?" Or, "You can bring as many wives as you want and we'll supply housing, welfare, free medical care, education, food, for your wives and all your offspring." Oh, that's right, the government already does that.

It could also be that if he entered a deradicalization program that he would be murdered by his peers, and that could put a damper on things. Then again, his peers probably know the deradicalization program has about zero chance of working, so they probably all had a good laugh and are planning their next terrorist event - sorry, that was culturally insensitive of me - their next Jihadi martyrdom event, inshallah.

 

Gillian M (11)
Tuesday December 29, 2015, 1:37 pm
But they are only suspected terrorists. We can't possibly be prejudiced against any Muslim especially if they are only suspected!
 
Or, log in with your
Facebook account:
Please add your comment: (plain text only please. Allowable HTML: <a>)


Track Comments: Notify me with a personal message when other people comment on this story


Loading Noted By...Please Wait

 


butterfly credits on the news network

  • credits for vetting a newly submitted story
  • credits for vetting any other story
  • credits for leaving a comment
learn more

Most Active Today in World





 
Content and comments expressed here are the opinions of Care2 users and not necessarily that of Care2.com or its affiliates.

New to Care2? Start Here.