Florida man dies after roach-eating competition
The winner of a cockroach-eating competition died shortly after eating dozens of the live insects and worms in Florida, authorities have said.
Edward Archbold, 32, became ill and collapsed at a pet shop where the contest took place in the city of Deerfield Beach on Friday.
About 30 others competed in the event at the Ben Siegel Reptile Store.
Officials are waiting for the results of an autopsy to determine Archbold's cause of death.
None of the other contestants became ill afterwards, the sheriff's office said.
"We feel terribly awful," said Ben Siegel, the owner of the shop.
"He looked like he just wanted to show off and was very nice," he said, adding that Archbold did not appear to be ill before the competition.
A lawyer for Mr Siegel said all the contestants had signed disclaimers "accepting responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest".
The grand prize for the winner was a python, and Archbold had planned to sell the snake to a friend who took him to the contest, according to the shop owner.
Gees! I can't imagine anyone doing this sort of creepy thing anyway, but it makes me wonder if any of the people like on that show Fear Factor, who sometimes had to eat or drink the weirdest kinds of distasteful bugs or foods, ever had anything happen to them. And they couldn't throw up if they were trying to keep from it, till after they got all of whatever it was, down. It's not like a kid eating a worm to show off or something, we're talking a large amount here.
Oh man this is sick!!!!!!! Who in their right mind would eat something like this!?!? YUCK!!!!!!!
Only in Florida does this stuff happen. I can't even imagine eating one.
Sick I would say.
Just when you think you have heard it all .....
If you think that's weird, you should have seen some of the stuff they were required to eat and or drink when Fear Factor was on TV. Makes me want to get sick even thinking abou it.