Mute Swan Update - Easy Ways to Help Stop the Slaughter
Since the DEC announced their plan to wipe out Mute Swans in the state two weeks ago, our petition has collected more than 20,000 signatures! Many thanks to everyone who is speaking out for the swans, including groups such as In Defense of Animals, Friends of Animals, LION, Nassau County SPCA, HSUS, the Wild Bird Fund, and The Regal Swan Foundation.
Supporters of the DEC's plan believe that killing Mute Swans is justified because they are non-native. The DEC also argues that these creatures are aggressive and pose a threat to aviation safety in an attempt to gain support and quell opposition for their plan. We have been compiling information from experts about why these arguments do not justify killing, the main points are now posted to our newly redesigned website and we will be updating this information regularly - Click Here
The DEC's draft Management Plan for Mute Swans in New York State is available online (click here), comments are due Feb 21, 2014. The DEC, as well as our elected officials, and media outlets covering the issue need to hear from us. Here are three easy steps you can take to help:
1. Sign and Share our Petitions
2. Email the DEC and contact your elected officials directly
Please email personalized comments to the DEC at firstname.lastname@example.org (type "Swan Plan" in the subject line).
3. Comment on articles and send letters to the editor
- NY Times: New York Wants to Banish a Symbol of Love: Mute Swans - This article accepts comments, please also email email@example.com and include your contact information.
- NY Daily News: Swan-killing plan ruffles feathers in Prospect Park - This article accepts comments, please also email Voicers@nydailynews.com and include your contact information.
- NBC 4 Story: NY's Mute Swan Cull Plan Sparks Outcry - Excellent coverage, and the video leaves out what's possibly the best part when after the segment NBC's Chuck Scarborough calls out the DEC for declining to be interviewed, saying "There are very serious questions being raised about the justification for killing all the swans, or capturing as they say, the intent is to wipe out the population. They deserve answers, they deserved to be questioned about that." This article accepts comments.
One reason we s
Thanks Diane, petitions signed.
Signed - thanks Dianne