World Turtle Day was started to increase respect and knowledge for the world’s oldest creatures. Turtles and Tortoises are some of the most amazing and endangered animals on the planet. Armed with knowledge and passion for these gentle animals, we can come together to preserve Turtle and Tortoise species throughout the world.
Adults and children can do a few small things that can help to save turtles and tortoises for the next generation:
- If you are looking for a pet, purchase a captive bred animal from a reputable store or breeder. Do not take home a wild turtle as a pet.
- Never release a pet turtle into the wild. Turtles kept in captivity may not have the important nutrients they need to survive through the cold winter. In addition, pet turtles may not be native to your area and should not interbreed with wild turtles.
- Join a local Turtle and Tortoise club to learn more.
- Never remove turtles or tortoises from the wild unless they are sick or injured.
- If a tortoise is crossing a busy street, pick it up and take it in the same direction it was going – if you try to make it go back, it will turn right around again.
- Help keep beaches and other natural habitats clean. Never leave trash and pick up garbage left by others.
- Write letters to legislators asking them to keep sensitive habitat preserved or closed to off road vehicles, and to prevent off shore drilling that can lead to more endangered sea turtle deaths.
TURTALLY DEVOTED TO YOU ,
A LEATHER BACK TURTLE HATCHLING, CELEBRATE WORLD TURTLE DAY
Awe - that's wonderful Wendy - thanks.
Wendy girl, lots of very interesting information and the photo is great.