I will give myself a few days to try to grieve some more,but while all is still fresh in my mind,I would like to start a thread on just domestic violence--not economic,I can afford to live on my own thank the Lord for that...but I think we need more in this group on dv and how men/women are not being helped and I can speak from experiance--am living it now.And something needs done to change it everywhere,I can help fight for all areas -- but I live in Pa and need to start there hopefully it will flow from there in the right direction.
Had a female friend once who would call me from the hospital because her boyfriend had beat her up. So I went and picked her up. Two days later she was right back over there and got beat up again. I felt sorry for her but didn't understand her actions at all. I really did not know what to say. Maybe she liked getting beat up. I didn't want to take sides. I didn't know what was said to bring this on. I had to pick her up at the hospital at least four more times. And she looked bad each time. It was like she was a month drawn to a flame except it was a fist. I don't get it.
- Law and Policy
- Intimate Partner Violence, 1993-2010(Department of Justice)
- National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS)(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
- National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey: 2010 Highlights(Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) - PDF
- Violence against Women(World Health Organization)
- Return to top
Basics , Learn More , and Multimedia & Cool Tools .
- No links available
- Domestic Violence(American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists) - PDF
- Bone Doctors May Miss Signs of Domestic Abuse, Survey Finds(11/15/2013, HealthDay)
- Parental Stress, Domestic Violence May Affect Kids' Development(11/07/2013, HealthDay)
- Domestic Violence Travels Down Through Generations, Study Finds(11/01/2013, HealthDay)
- More News on Domestic Violence
- Screening for Intimate Partner Violence and Abuse of Vulnerable Adults(U.S. Preventive Services Task Force) - PDF
- Specific Conditions
- Related Issues
- Domestic Violence(American Psychiatric Association)
- Domestic Violence: Protecting Yourself and Your Children(American Academy of Family Physicians)
- Also available in Spanish
Domestic violence may include
- Physical violence that can lead to injuries such as bruises or broken bones
- Sexual violence
- Threats of physical or sexual violence
- Emotional abuse that may lead to depression, anxiety, or social isolation
It is hard to know exactly how common domestic violence is, because people often don't report it. There is no typical victim. It happens among people of all ages. It affects those of all levels of income and education.
The first step in getting help is to tell someone you trust.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention