Tell Fast Food Chains To Stop Serving Up Rainforest Destruction!
Thank you for telling Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Dunkin' Donuts to hold the rainforest destruction - thanks Michela!
Thanks. Signed and FB.
I took the action. I added something along the lines of "even though your company does not operate in Croatia, people around the world are working together to eliminate palm oil from products. We are also writing to other companies in our own countries regarding palm oil."
Thanks Michela. Signed.
Sinar Mas seems to be like a cancer spreading throughout the body. If you eat fast food, then after signing, boycott the chains and tell them why.
Signed and shared on Facebook
Just got the update from Greenpeace about Burger King not using palm oil from Sinar Mas because of sustainability practices and their impact on the rainforests of Indonesia. People were dressing as Orangutans at the Burger Kings over here in the United States. It is a good thing. Burger King is now owned by a company in the United Kingdom. As for your computer Michela you might want to check the modem. My computer would slow down, freeze up, and just cut the internet off intermittingly. And then it would not let me get back on the internet unless I shutdown and came back later. I guess the modem would cool down and it would work again. Eventually it went out completely. It took us three times to get a good modem. I had to run tests on my computer and finally found out where the problem was. If the lights are not lit up on the modem it is more than likely bad. The modem is a little black box between your computer and your telephone line or whatever service you prescribe to. You might want to check it out. I was not a happy man when I couldn't get on the internet. Peace, Marvin
IT'S a WORLDWIDE PETITION!!!!!!!
I (ITALY) signed it just now for my 2nd time (with another E-Mail)!!
STATE: click on "none";
COUNTRY: click on YOUR COUNTRY!!
Signed. I also refuse to give these companies any of my business!
Noted and signed. I think these big companies should realize what they are doing to our planet, all the damage they cause is very difficult to solve. Thank you Michela
Money always wins out , over the environment. makes me ill....
Thank you for telling Pizza Hut, and Dunkin' Donuts to hold the rainforest destruction
SIGNED! Mum. Kisses Jasmine
As I have already signed, I post this lovely photo. I hope you like it.
Signed, thank you Michela.
We must do all we can to put a stop to all of those who are destroying this planet in which we all live on!!!
I want you all to sign this because time is running out for the Orang Utan and the need to solve these problems, immediate.
I have read some harsh criticism of UN's management. I met with its head back in June 2005, to bring this very subject of Palm Oil to its attention, both for Orang Utans and also Tigers.
We are dealing with a very complex situation, in an area that has suffered so very much. Against the backdrop of global-scale tragedy everything pales slightly.
My understanding of the difficulty is that much of the deforestation and palm planting is being undertaken without authority of any permit and prevention not a simple process - given there is no guard patrol, the detection process mainly relies on informants.
Signed, Thanks! I'm so glad that I don't patronize any of these fast food restaurants and now I will make sure that I let my friends know so that they can boycott them too!
It is an honor to sign the petition along with all the other members. Thank you Michela!! Some lovely photos!!
Signed the latest 2. Thanks Michela for removing the extra post I made. I had not noticed that this petition was already included in the group. There so many that you can lose track. (if only it was not necessary to have so many petitions but we must fight to save those beautiful creatures).
3) New!! KFC is turning Rainforests to trash!
Join the Revolt!! Greenpeace against Kentucky Fried Chicken for thier destruction of the Rainforest for packaging materials. At last the Colonel’s secret recipe is out of the bucket
The Colonel’s been keeping his chicken fresh with packaging made from Rainforests. Despite the impact on Sumatran Tigers KFC have been using Rainforest packaging made by Asia Pulp&Paper, a company also exposed for using illegal timber. KFC thinks turning the Tigers’ home into trash is timber ripping good – but Rainforest makes revolting packaging.
We need thousands of people to join the revolt to change the Colonel’s secret recipe for destruction. Sign up by creating your own revolting packaging. Pick a character, fill in your details & watch them come to life. Then share with your friends & build up the biggest revolt. GET revolting!
Video: Artie - angry KFC packaging http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgf734cE5uY&feature=player_embedded
Source: Ann P.
The production of Palm Oil is a highly lucrative business in countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia. Palm Oil plantations generally replace indigenous Tropical Rainforests: not only are the homes of local people & that of Endangered Species being destroyed when this happens, but large amounts of carbon are being emitted & contributing to Global Warming as well. The Union of Concerned Scientists: “Tropical Deforestation accounts for about 15% of annual global carbon emissions.” The World Watch Inst.: “Oil Palm development… can contribute far more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere than it helps to avoid.” Palm Oil plantations are often planted in wet peatlands “of carbon-rich forest debris that is too wet to decompose.” As these wetlands continue to be drained, it is estimated that up to 5,400 tons of carbon dioxide will be released into the world’s atmosphere within the next 25 years.
The Coca Cola Company are still using Palm Oil in one of their product brands: Odwalla. Coca Cola is a large enough & powerful enough company to switch suppliers & supplies: the company must commit to using oils that do not cause Deforestation. We, as consumers, must commit to not buying these products or supporting the Coca Cola industry until we are sure that they are engaging in sustainable practices.
7) New!! Urge KFC to Use Environmentally Friendly Paper Products
Signed all (and yesterday I posted the Greenpeacelink on a local newssite: every signature counts)
This post was modified from its original form on 31 May, 10:13
Love your pictures of the Orangutans especially the babies they are so funny
Signed and spread. TY, Michela.
Hi Michela signed the Greenpeace Message :-0 Thanx...also Thank-You for The Green Star Hugggs xx Your Friend Barb E.
All signed! Thank you for all your hard work Michela!
Signed and thanks for the baby orangutan.
May 23, 2012 Fast food giant Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) is linked to the destruction of Indonesia's Rainforests through its packaging sourcing practices -Greenpeace.
An investigation by the environmental activist group found traces of mixed tropical hardwood fiber (MTH) in KFC's drink cups, food boxes, napkins and chicken buckets. The fiber comes from Asia Pulp&Paper, a paper products giant that continues to rely on conversion of Indonesian Rainforests for pulp & paper production.
KFC is the latest big brand to be caught trashing rainforests and pushing endangered animals, like the Sumatran tiger, towards extinction
Source: Vicynthia Tjahjadi
Forest clearing in the Bukit Tigapuluh Forest Landscape in central Sumatra
11) New!! Pet.: Luna Bars: Discontinue the use of Palm Oil in their products http://www.change.org/petitions/luna-bars-discontinue-the-use-of-palm-oil-in-their-products Palm Oil is retrieved through Deforestation & other unsustainable practices in Africa, Malaysia & Indonesia. These practices are harmful to the Earth & to your Health regarding the high fat content. Not only does this affect the Environment & our Health, but innocent animals as well. Thousands of Big Apes & other animal living within these trees have been displaced or killed due to their homes being torn down, all for a replaceable oil.
Kentucky Fried Chicken's supplier, AsiaPulp&Paper, gets the material to make the restaurant's packaging products from Rainforests in Indonesia. , AsiaPulp&Paper, a company exposed for using illegal timber, has been driving Indonesian rainforest destruction at an alarming rate to make throw-away paper products. This deforestation is not only polluting our climate, but also pushing wildlife like the endangered Sumatran Tiger towards extinction. With only 400(300) Sumatran Tigers left in the wild, every bit of its dwindling forest habitat matters. Wood fiber originating from Indonesian rainforests can be traced to KCF packaging. With about 400 Sumatran tigers left, there is no time to lose, and no room for KFC to look the other way while using rainforest destruction for packaging.
SOURCE & ADDITIONAL ACTION: http://www.kfc-secretrecipe.com/en_au/nogoodCher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3472186
News: Malaysia slams French 'Nutella' Palm Oil tax plan http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hy2hqC69nQxHuYE4qLrtEigVjf1Q?docId=CNG.31155d745f32809d18cd13234c1f32c4.5d1
PARIS — Malaysia'a official Palm Oil Council on Monday slammed as "irresponsible" & "badly informed" a French senator's call to slap a 300% tax increase on Palm Oil, known in France as a "Nutella tax" after a popular brand of spread. "The proposal is based on inaccurate claims that palm oil is bad for health and nutrition, and that Malaysia does not respect the environment," the council said in a statement received here. It insisted that palm oil is "a healthy, natural & important product which 240,000 small farmers in Malaysia are proud to produce" & urged the French Gov.t to reject the call by Senator Yves Daudigny. Daudigny asked for the tax hike on the grounds that production of Palm Oil harms the Environment & its consumption fuels obesity. The tax has been the dubbed the "Nutella tax" as Palm Oil is the main ingredient in the chocolate spread that is hugely popular in France. "The action taken by French Senator Daudigny... is irresponsible, badly-informed & ignores the primary source of saturated fats in the French diet" said the Palm Oil Council statement. It argued that most saturated fats consumed in France came from animal sources -- from meat, milk, cheese & butter -- & not from Palm Oil.
Environmentalists say Palm Oil, which is widely used as Biofuel & in processed food & toiletries, is grown on vast plantations leading to Deforestation which threatens rare species such as Orangutans & Rhinos. Malaysia is one of the world's top 2 Palm Oil exporters & alongside Indonesia, accounts for 85% of global production.
Source: Dianne C.
A 6-day-old baby Orangutan snuggles up to its mother in Gelsenkirchen, Germany
all signed for the list Michela very helpful
oops piccy already done..hopefully this is new
News: "Every Time You Spread Nutella on Your Toast, You Are Slapping the Face of a Dying Orangutan!" https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4553620832353&set=a.1549326886882.2078013.1046389155&type=1&theater
Pls. Say No to Nutella or any products that contain Palm Oil. The Impacts of the Deforestation for Palm Oil on Orangutans:
~ Or. are the only Asian Great Ape; they are the largest arboreal (tree dwelling) mammal on Earth. The wild population of B. Orangutans estimated at 45,000-69,000. There are only approx. 7,300 Sumatran Orangutans remaining; amongst the top 25 most endangered Primates in the world.
~ Or. give birth once every 6 -10 yrs, the longest interbirth interval of any mammal! (A slow reproductive cycle makes Orangutans extremely vulnerable to extinction).
~ After logging rainforest habitat, P.Oil Cos. use uncontrolled burning to clear the land. In 1997-98 a devastating fire killed almost 8,000 Bornean Or.. Or. are predicted to be extinct in the wild within the next years if the rate of deforestation remains unchanged. Indonesia: the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest rate deforestation. Of the 44 countries which collectively account for 90% of the world’s forests, Indonesia pursues the highest annual rate of deforestation, with 1.8 million hectares of forest destroyed each year. We have to Say No to P.Oil Now to Protect the Or. & All the Wonderful Variety of Wildlife in Borneo, Sumatra & Papua New Guinea.
~ Borneo: home to 13 Primate species, 350 bird species, 150 reptiles & amphibians & 15,000 plant species.
~Sumatra: home to S. Rhinos, Clouded Leopards, S. Tigers, Asian Tapirs, S. Elephants, & thousands of other species.
~ Papua New Guinea harbors the 3rd largest unbroken chain of rainforest in the world, Home to 7.5% of Earth's biodiversity, incl. 197 species of frog, 762 of bird, & 3000 of fish.
~ Papua New Guinea's forests: Home to tiny tree Kangaroos, over 1,000 varieties of wild orchids, endemic such as the largest Butterfly in the world. Much remains to be surveyed & studied but time is running out as between 5 to 6 million hectares of forests already cleared & a further 10.5 million hectares earmarked as logging concessions. Annual deforestation rate: 300,000 hectares but this will increase if Oil Palm expansion unfolds as planned..."
Sources: Curzio B., Roshani S., Toni A.
Aw, geez...in a manner of minutes, I've sworn off KFC and Coca-Cola, two huge favourites of mine. But that's what knowledge does, doesn't it? All signed, thanks! Oh! I'm almost afraid to find out all of the things that have palm oil in them. And so it goes....Jude
Kellogg's uses Palm Oil in their breakfast cereals & is making up for the destruction from Palm Oil by using Greenpalm Certificates. Millions of these certificates have been sold & yet the Forests continue to disappear to Palm Oil. Palm oil industry insiders have even called Greenpalm certificates a greenwash that hurts the Palm Oil companies that are trying to be more sustainable.
Kellogg's only 2 choices. If they want to continue using Palm Oil, they must use traceable Palm Oil where they can confirm that it did not kill Orangutans or cause Global Warming excessively OR drop the use of Palm Oil. Using Greenpalm certificates to try & cover up their Palm Oil use is NOT an option! Tell Kellogg's CEO to either stop using Palm Oil or make sure it comes from traceable sustainable sources!!
Source: Danuta W.
KFC's secret recipe & it's Rainforest destruction. Our researchers have found that KFC's throw-away packaging contains Rainforest fiber from Indonesia's Rainforest. KFC is destroying the Habitat of the last remaining Sumatran Tigers for potato wedges & 12-piece buckets of extra crispy chicken. It's disgusting.
KFC gets the paper for its packaging from a notoriously destructive company called Asia Pulp & Paper (APP). And APP is driving Rainforest destruction in Indonesia at an alarming rate to meet KFC's demands — leaving Endangered Sumatran Tigers with nowhere to go.
Don't let Fast Food packaging be the end of the Sumatran Tiger & everything else that calls the Indonesian Rainforest Home.
i love the darling photos
from Ness ...
Signed last petition. Question about KFC: following my last post, I received word the KFC had decided not to use APP anymore following the campaign directly addressing the issue with them. What gives? Please advise, tx.
from Magda V.
Hi, gotta ask the question again. Please answer, Michela or whomever: I read that Greenpeace's campaign to get KFC to get rid of APP was successful. KFC did drop APP. I need to understand where how that syncs with the recent petition. Thanks! Jude
Got these latest ones. Thank you dear, sweet Michela!
A few years ago I didn't take Nutella,Kellogs,KFC,P&G and Kraft foods.
All the big brands are full of chemicals,poisons and toxins as well.
I look everytime on the box before I buy food or household cleaning products.
Many nice and cute photos of Orang Utans added here.
Every time you spread nutella on your toast, you slap the face of dying orangutan: the video is no longer available - we know why!
I think I've signed all the petitions I hadn't signed yet. Thank you, Michela!
Sponsored by: Jade Newton - Target: Alexis Foods
Who doesn't love pita bread? I know I love it, & my favorite brand is Alexis. I couldn't find anything better than this company. I looked at the ingredients & guess what was there. Palm Oil. We all know Palm Oil is very hard to avoid buying, since it's in half of all products sold at supermarkets. It's used in common household products, including soap & shampoo.
Palm Oil isn't just bad for Orangutans, it's bad for our Planet: contributing 15% of Global Warming. Indonesia & Malaysia are home to many Endangered Species, including Elephants, Tigers, Rhinos, & Orangutans. These are just some of the animals being killed due to Palm Oil harvest. Worse yet, this is devastating the lives of people. As more Palm Oil industries begin to kill the Forest, families who have relied on the forest's resources for years, maybe even generations are losing their livelihood. So please, sign this petition so that Alexis Foods will stop using palm oil. Source: Jade Newton
Orangutans are severely Endangered & the farming of Palm Oil is killing them off even more. It's one of the main reasons they are dying off. Orangutans are man's closest relatives!! Palm Oil is also not good for your health!!
Palm Oil - Health: Blood Lipid and Cholesterol Effects
The U.S. Center for Science in the Public Interest said Palm Oil promotes heart disease; Report cited Research going back to 1970; also said that The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, World Health Organization (WHO), and other Health Authorities urged reduced consumption of Palm Oil; WHO states that there is convincing evidence that palmitic acid consumption contributes to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. A 2006 Study by the National Institute of Health and the USDA Agricultural Research Service concluded that it's not a safe substitute for partially hydrogenated fats (trans fats) in the Food Industry, as Palm Oil results in adverse changes in the blood concentrations of LDL Cholesterol and apolipoprotein B just as trans fat does.
Palm Oil - Other uses
Palm Oil became a highly sought-after commodity by British traders, for use as an industrial Lubricant for machinery during Britain's Industrial Revolution; the basis of Soap products, such as Lever Brothers' (now Unilever) "Sunlight Soap", and the American Palmolive brand; derivatives of palmitic acid were used with naphta during World WarII to produce Napalm; to create Biodiesel.
Palm Oil - in the Cooking Industry
Since Palm Oil is of a lower quality than Olive Oil, it remained rare outside W. Africa. Its increasing use in the commercial Food Industry...because: 1) Palm Oil has the LOWEST Production COST of the major Oils, & 2) Products last more time in the Supermarket shelves!! for the high oxidative stability (saturation) of the refined product when used for frying.
Many processed foods contain Palm Oil but it is NOT DECLARED on Labels!!! Or Label simply says: "Vegetable Oils"!! Try to read a Chips Packet Label, just as an example!! This is a real offence to all of us, but particularly to VEGANS & VEGETARIANS devoting their lifestyle not to hurt animals, while, like all customers, they are unwillingly & unconsciously contributing to the SLAUGHTER of Tigers, Elephants, Rhinos, Clouded Leopards, Sun Bears, Wildlife...& GENOCIDE of Orangutans, who share 98% DNA with us!!!
Fastfood&Food Chains DestroyingRainforest: Summary Petitions List: Closed 1)2)4)8)9)10)13)14)15)17)
We have reached the last stand for Sumatran Orangutans, but it's not too late to save them.
Many Americans are being made into unwitting accomplices in the destruction of Indonesia's rainforests—which provide crucial habitat for a number of Endangered Species like the Sumatran Orangutan—because Palm Oil is in half of all the products on their neighborhood grocery store's shelves. In the months ahead, we're going to tackle this problem at its source.
RAN has just sent letters to 20 snack Food Companies—makers of some of the most popular brand name products in America—alerting them to the Rainforest Destruction & Orangutan extinction in their supply chains. Stand with us: Sign our petition & demand the snack food industry remove Rainforest Destruction from its products!!
Thank you, Michela. I've signed the petitions I hadn't signed yet. I sincerely hope our objectives will be reached.
The sad plight of orang utans is simply heartbreaking. Is it so difficult to understand?
Thanks for calling on the US snack industry to help protect rainforests and orangutans. I miss you Michela! Thank you very much my dear friend.
Signed and shared all to Facebook
Hopefully, Dr. Oz will be apprised of the medical info; petitions are already on their way. Tx.
21) New!! Pet.: Do Your Cookies & Shampoo Contain "Deforestation?" http://theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ars/petition/UnionOfConcernedScientists-Deforestation?Origin=ETA_050113_UnionOfConcernedScientists-Deforestation_340,952 Signatures Take action! - Target: Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, Procter & Gamble, & Kraft Foods - Palm Oil is used in thousands of products we use every day, from baked goods to shampoo. Unfortunately, Palm Oil is produced at a tremendous expense to our planet's Forests. These Forests are being cleared at an alarming rate to make room for new Palm Oil plantations.
This Deforestation causes about 15% of Global Warming emissions worldwide!
We have the power to change this story. Businesses can grow Palm Oil on degraded land instead of forested land & existing plantations can increase crop yields to avoid the need to further expand into forests. In June, the U.S. Gov.t announced a new joint initiative with the Consumer Goods Forum to make ingredients like Palm Oil Deforestation-free.
Pls urge the CEOs of Coca-Cola, Wal-Mart, Procter & Gamble, & Kraft Foods to ensure all the products made or sold by member Companies globally are Deforestation-free!!
A great number of petitions here. Thanks, Lynn
Thanks; glad to get info out to the big companies and to learn that there's cooperative work going on.
Glad to Sign & Share Petitions, Thanks so much Mich for all your work and dedication!!!~
Orang UtansownloadItem&g2_itemId=10002349&0.034053429553063785" border="0" width="363" height="550">
Thank you for the beautiful pictures of orang utans.
NUTELLA has made an advertisement showing how good it is with the palm oÃ¯l from palm trees in ... Malaysia. It hurts to watch that.
i visited the Concerned Scientists website to finally find their petitions regarding deforestation.
22) New!! Pet.: KELLOGS DON’T LET ME GO EXTINCT http://action.sumofus.org/a/kellogg-palm-oil/3/2/?akid=1908.926224.ZLhpYl&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=2
The rainforests of Indonesia are an ecological treasure: They’re home to critically endangered species like the Orangutan & the Sumatran Tiger, & they also store more carbon than the entire world emits in 9 years. Now snack & cereal giant Kellogg's has made a huge deal with a company that’s wiping these Forests off the map. End your partnership with Wilmar Int.l, the world's least sustainable corporation, unless it agrees to stop relying on Deforestation.
Teresa W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/516095512/3608636
23) Pet.: Stop Fonterra importing Palm Kernel http://www.greenpeace.org/new-zealand/en/take-action/Take-action-online/fonterra/#TakeAction Fonterra’s Palm Kernel imports: expected over 1MillionTons from nothing in 1999. From pastoral to industrial dairying in NZ. Agriculture responsible for 49% of NZ's CO2 emissions. No need for NZ to produce dairy products at the expense of tropical Rainforests,Endangered Orangutans,NZ's green reputation,the Climate. Shelly S.http://www.care2.com/news/member/504390839/3039515
Video: The milk advert they don't want you to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvvLsAMsOJM
Video: Fonterra implicated in Rainforest Destruction
24) New!! Pet.: Oreo- Stop Putting Palm Oil In Your Cookies Unless You Know It Does NOT Contain Deforestation & Animal Extinction! http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/oreo-stop-putting-palm-oil-in-your-cookies-unless-you-know-it-does-not-contain-deforestation-animal-extinction Conventional Palm Oil causes Deforestation & that has many negative effects on the environment. The most dramatic impact is a loss of habitat for millions of animals. Without vital habitat they can't survive & this is pushing many Species to the edge of extinction. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3626757
Video: Unsustainable Oreo- Palm Oil & Deforestation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjOyT3yQhgk
25) Pet. : Palm Oil Boycott: Death By Brownie http://www.change.org/petitions/palm-oil-boycott-death-by-brownie 1,880 Signatures Orangutans are severely Endangered & the farming of Palm Oil is killing them off even more. It's one of the main reasons they are dying off. Palm Oil is also not good for your health. Please sign this petition to stop the killing of one of man's closest relatives. Source: Vicynthia T.
26) New!! Pet.: McDonalds Restaurants: Stop using Palm Oil & Palm Oil derivatives http://www.change.org/petitions/mcdonalds-restaurants-stop-using-palm-oil-and-palm-oil-derivatives 4,449 Signatures McDonalds uses Palm Oil in all their frying, from Chips to Nuggets etc. They use a mix of Sunflower Oil (originally said Canola but corrected themselves with sunflower) with 5% Palm Oil. That's a LOT of Palm Oil. Sourced through Goodman Fielder. Pls read carefully into the Goodman Fielder Palm Oil statement, especially the last paragraph. http://www.goodmanfielder.com.au/index.php?q=node%2F134
Anyone that disputes this Fact. Make the call & ask them if they use Palm Oil - McDonald's Customer Service number 02 9875 7100 Source: Harshita S.
27) New!! Pet.: REMOVE PALM OIL FROM NUTELLA http://www.thepetitionsite.com/149/886/899/remove-palm-oil-from-nutella/ Target: Ferrero U.S.A., Inc.; Author: Lydia W. Price - The Palm Oil Industry is directly responsible for the mass annihilation of Orangutans. This genocide is taking place in the Forests of Borneo & Sumatra...the only places remaining on Earth where these gentle creatures are to be found in the wild. Orangutans are often shot on sight. Others are poisoned or snared. Babies are ripped from their dead mothers' arms & sold on the black market. We are calling upon you to take a stand for the preservation of these gentle creatures who share 98% of their DNA with us & are on the verge of extinction. Remove Palm Oil from your products & save them. We will not purchase your products until you do. Desanka S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/293338294/3609473
28) New!! ACTIONS: An Everyday Ingredient That’s Killing Orangutans http://www.globalanimal.org/2013/10/03/palm-oil-consumption-endangers-orangutans/108848/ Destruction of the Earth's ecosystem also means endangering the lives of iconic Species who live there, including the red-listed Sumatran & Borneo Orangutans. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3653131
1.The survival of Orangutans is being increasingly threatened by society’s growing rate of Palm Oil consumption
2. The destruction of Rainforests has had terrible implications for the wellbeing of the natural world as well as ourselves
Take action!! Protect Rainforests & Wildlife With Palm-Oil-Free Halloween Candy http://ecowatch.com/2013/protect-rainforests-and-wildlife-with-palm-oil-free-halloween-candy/ People who work to save Rainforests & protect Wildlife are urging consumers to refrain from buying Halloween candy made with Palm Oil!! palm oil producers in Indonesia & Malaysia rely on Forced & Child Labor & Indonesia’s Palm Oil industry is rife with human-rights abuses. Companies clear tropical Rainforests to plant their Oil Palm trees, which obliterates the homes of Endangered animals like Orangutans, Pygmy Elephants & Sumatran Tigers. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3656618
Report: Cargill's Problems With Palm Oil http://ran.org/cargills-problems-palm-oil
This photo is from the above investigative Report from RAN that presents evidence that Cargill is operating 2 undisclosed Palm Oil plantations in W. Kalimantan, Indonesia:
Candy that contain Palm Oil http://www.elpasozoo.org/docs/Palmoil-candy.pdf
News: Top 3 Victims of Palm Oil: Wildlife, People & Planet http://www.care2.com/causes/top-3-victims-of-palm-oil-wildlife-people-and-planet.html 1) Planet: Palm Oil’s Role in Global Warming: Indonesia & Malaysia have the largest tropical forests in Asia & the world’s primary PalmOil producers. Tropical forest destruction accounts for 15% of Global Warming pollution; Palm Oil cultivation: one of the major causes of Rainforest destruction. Vast swaths of forest & swamp obliterated to make way for plantations, thousands of tons of carbon dioxide released; more carbon dioxide released when peat swamps are drained & dried out to make way for Palm cultivation.
2) People: Communities Disrupted & Destroyed by PalmOil: Entire communities destroyed or thrown into poverty as plantations gut the livelihood of people who have relied on the forest’s resources for hundreds of years. In the rush to acquire land to create mega plantations, traditional land rights & community customs are being violated. RAN describes barriers that native farmers experience in Indonesia: “When the small farmers complain to the Gov.t that their land has been stolen, they are shown papers that prove that the land their families had farmed for generations was now owned by [agribusinesses] Cargill or ADM/Wilmar.”
3) Wildlife: Habitat Destruction & PalmOil: The tropical forests of Indonesia & Malaysia: home to some of the most beautiful & Critically Endangered creatures on Earth. Elephants, Tigers, Rhinos & Orangutans, just a some of the most visible Endangered Species being decimated by irresponsible forest clearing to make way for plantations. Orangutans & other creatures considered pests are actively trapped & killed by plantation owners, who offer bounties for dead Orangutans. WWF estimates: fewer that 3,000 Sumatran Elephants left; the species lost 70% of its habitat in the last 25yrs, & 85% of its remaining Habitat: unprotected & vulnerable to PalmOil plantation expansion.
31) New!! Pet.: Nutella: Stop using Palm Oil in Nutella. Save the Orangutans! https://www.change.org/petitions/nutella-stop-using-palm-oil-in-nutella-save-the-orangutansScientists estimate in 20 years Orangutans will become extinct! Palm Oil contributes to deforestation in Borneo & Sumatra, the only 2 places on Earth where Orangutans live. Trees are cut down for Palm Oil Plantations, but these trees are the Orangutan's Home. Orangutans are endangered! Nutella contains Palm Oil, by eating this product we are contributuing to hurting the Orangutan Species! Source: Ana M.
News: Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a Myth
“Companies buying Palm Oil need to be http://understory.ran.org/2011/03/21/the-great-rspo-membership-myth-why-buying-from-rspo-members-doesnt-mean-jack-%#&!*%/aware that the only way to ensure sustainable sourcing is to buy certified sustainable Palm Oil from companies that have been assessed against the RSPO standards. Buying from RSPO members is not enough.” – WWF, Aug 2010 Thin Mints Contain Rainforest Destroying-Palm Oil
RSPO Members Have Been Documented Destroying Orangutan Habitat
The destruction of Rainforest in South East Asia for conversion to Palm Oil plantations is causing the loss of Wild animals like Tigers and Orangutans.
Demand for Vegetable Oil Increases Rate of Deforestation http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/03/demand-vegetable-oil-increases-rate-deforestation/
Agribusiness in the Rainforest http://ran.org/agribusiness-rainforest
Sumatran Elephants http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/elephants/asian_elephants/sumatran_elephant/
Video: Terrified Orangutans Saved from Hunters http://www.care2.com/causes/terrified-orangutans-saved-from-hunters-video.html
Video: The Orangutan Rescue Station Part 1/5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcukYGpiCE
News: Homeless Orangutan Signs Heart-Breaking Message About Palm Oil http://www.care2.com/causes/homeless-orangutan-signs-heart-breaking-message-about-palm-oil.html Everyone is guilty of buying the products that fuel this destruction: Palm Oil is in half of all products commonly found in supermarkets & comprises 35% of the global vegetable oil market. It is commonly used in shampoo, soap, processed foods, candy, even biofuel. Palm Oil imports to the U.S. have tripled between 2005 & 2009, with increasing demand also in China, India & elsewhere. That skyrocketing demand has created 3 big Palm Oil victims: people, wildlife and the planet. Bulldozing through vast tracts of Rainforest isn’t only terrible for wildlife & watersheds, however. It’s also contributing to Global Warming & Climate Change that affects all of us. “As vast swaths of forest & swamp are obliterated to make way for plantations, thousands of tons of carbon dioxide is released. More carbon dioxide is released when peat swamps are drained & dried out to make way for Palm cultivation”. Source: Simon V.
News: Greenpeace slams Palm Oil maker that supplies Oreo & Gillette http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/22/greenpeace-slams-palm-oil-giant-supplying-oreo-and-gillette/ Oreo Cookies, Gillette Shaving Cream, Clearasil face wash, among an array of grocery items in more than 50 countries, are among products driving the destruction of Indonesia’s Forests! Greenpeace accused agri giant Wilmar Int.l for supplying “dirty PalmOil” to make the grocery items. In its report “Licence to Kill,” Greenpeace said that Singapore-based Wilmar, the world’s biggest Palm Oil processor, was sourcing its Palm Oil from illegally cleared land & destroying the Habitat of Critically Endangered Sumatran Tigers.“Until Wilmar commits to a no-deforestation policy, their trade of Palm Oil to big household brands… makes consumers unwitting accomplices in the extinction of Indonesia’s 400 remaining Sumatran Tigers” Wilmar is the latest company to be targeted by Greenpeace, which has taken aim at several high-profile firms & campaigned for responsible consumer spending. Nestle & paper giant Asia Pulp & Paper have pledged zero-Deforestation policies after Greenpeace exposed their unsustainable practices. Source: Ani F.
30) Take Action!! Submit your photo http://inyourpalm.org/ Thousands submitted photo petitions. Have you submitted one? We need your voice too! Orangutans deserve a voice. We’re not going to sit back & wait for the SnackFood 20 to eliminate Conflict PalmOil voluntarily. We took our message to the Cos. We won’t let these Cos. hide from the damage that they are doing to the planet, we won’t let them greenwash their practices & we will make absolutely sure they hear us, see us, & know that we won’t stop. People spoke up & made their voices heard at rallies & events. We met hundreds of incredible activists who came with us to deliver our message, hosted house parties, took #InYourPalm petition photos with us & came to our events. Dozens of activists in Orangutan masks joined us at the Chicago Board of Trade to kick off the campaign RAN style with a huge banner reading “Snack Food 20: Cut Conflict Palm Oil, not Rainforests” We were invited to Power Shift, where we were honored to speak to the 5,000 students & youth climate activists from the main stage, showing our video & compelling this wonderful group to take action. HUNDREDS of you took action on the Facebook pages of the Snack Food 20. It is clear that the PalmOil Action Team is bigger, more powerful & more diverse than we ever imagined. We are, you are, mothers, fathers, girl scouts, high school & college students, food justice, climate change & animal rights activists, educators & more: this makes us powerful. We want to thank everybody who has helped us along the way, every one of you. Jess Serrante, Nat.l Agribusiness Organizer
30) URGENT!! Take Actions: http://inyourpalm.org/
Watch Video!! AMAZING! Orangutan asks girl for help in sign language http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G32YehcdUAw Rainforests are being destroyed for Palm Oil & pushing the last wild Orangutans to the brink of extinction. At Rainforest Action Network our goal is to collect 60,600 photo petitions - that's one person for each Orangutan remaining in the wild. We'll deliver these photos to the Snack Food 20, the top Snack Food Companies that are using this Conflict Palm Oil in our food. RAN teamed up with Free Range Studios to produce this 2 minute video to launch The Last Stand of the Orangutan: The Power is in Your Palm - a new Nat.l campaign exposing the US Snack Food Industry for putting Conflict Palm Oil into the food products we buy everyday. Source: Ajla C., Bryna P., Kate K., Rhonda W., SuSanne P., Sylvie C., Zoe and Art; Tamara H. http://www.care2.com/news/member/827502242/3655127
29) New!! Pet.: Tell the Snack Food 20: Cut Conflict Palm Oil, Not Rainforests http://act.ran.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=8546 Expansion of Palm Oil plantations into Indonesia’s & Malaysia's Rainforests is pushing wild Orangutans to the brink of EXTINCTION. We have reached The Last Stand of the Orangutan—but it's not too late. Call on the Snack Food 20—Cos. that control some of the best-known Snack Food Brands in the world—to remove "conflict Palm Oil", tied to Rainforest Destruction & Orangutan extinction, from their products. These Cos. rely on our trust as consumers, so if enough of us speak up, the Snack Food 20 will have to change the way they do business. Only 60,600 Orangutans remain in the wilds of Sumatra & Borneo, so we’re trying to get 60,600 humans to stand up for them by calling on the Snack Food 20 to cut conflict Palm Oil, not Rainforests. Will you be one of them?
32) New!! Pet.: Stop Special K's Rainforest Destruction! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/114/987/110/stop-my-special-k-from-destroying-rainforests/ A recent report by Oxfam shows that Corporations like Kellogg’s have acquired over 4 million hectares of land for sugar production. Much of this land belongs to indigenous peoples, & it often consists of pristine Rainforests. Once the land is obtained by Kellogg’s they lock out local people & cut down the forests to turn it into farm land. This land grab has been linked to human rights violations in Brasil. It also destroys forests that contribute to mitigating Climate Change, give Endangered Species refuge, protect precious waterways, & prevent many dramatic environmental impacts. It also destroys Indigenous Communities leaving many of them without a means to grow food & live a traditional lifestyle. All this so Kellogg’s can put sugar on our cereals! It’s time for Kellogg’s to stop these land grabs & operate in a transparent & ethic way. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3654115