48) New!! Pet.: To PepsiCo Fix its Palm Oil Policy - Indonesia's Orangutans are clinging on for their lives https://action.sumofus.org/a/pepsico-indra-nooyi-en/?akid=6963.1113479.lZBPFr&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=1 We're going to deliver the open letter together with petitions from Rainforest Action Network & Causes. Sign & share to make it massive! 3 mothers who live near PepsiCo's headquarters in New York just published this inspiring Open Letter challenging PepsiCo to improve its inadequate Palm Oil policy before the historic People's Climate March on 21 September. With a whopping 457,200 metric tons of Palm Oil used annually in snacks like Cheetos & Lay's potato chips, PepsiCo has a huge impact on the planet, the forests, & the people & animals which call them home. PepsiCo is the largest globally distributed Snack Food Co. in the world. PepsiCo uses enough Palm Oil every single year to fill Pepsi cans full of Palm Oil that would stretch around the earth at the equator 4 times. Palm Oil may seem to many like a minor issue, but in fact it is among the world's leading causes of Deforestation, which in turn is responsible for nearly 20% of all carbon emissions. And, its found in the homes of nearly every American family, giving us the power to push for the changes that are so desperately needed. Source: Claudia A.; Sara P. http://www.care2.com/news/member/528904859/3802003
47) New!! Pet.: Ask Nutella To Stop Using Palm Oil http://www.thepetitionsite.com/847/729/727/ask-nutella-to-stop-using-palm-oil/ We are asking you to stop using Palm Oil in Nutella. Aside from Environmental Destruction Palm Oil is the leading cause to the Massive killings of Orangutans & we are asking you to stop using Palm Oil or we will Boycott your products!!! Facebook https://www.facebook.com/nutellausa Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3799400
46) New!! Pet.: Tell McDonald's to Use Deforestation-Free Palm Oil https://secure3.convio.net/ucs/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=53C599E0440AA0201D974DB922AB8177.app304a?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=4257&autologin=true You probably already know that McDonald's is the world's largest Fast Food Co., serving nearly 70 million people every day in more than 100 countries. However, you might not realize that McDonald's uses Palm Oil in a variety of its products, from Baked Apple Pie to Spicy Chicken McBites. As tropical Forests are cleared to make way for plantations for Palm Oil production, carbon is released into the atmosphere, driving Global Warming & shrinking habitats for Endangered Species. Tropical Deforestation currently accounts for about 10% of the world's heat-trapping emissions. Many of America's top Fast Food brands—incl. McDonald's—continue to use Palm Oil that could be wreaking havoc on our Environment. As the largest Fast Food Co. in the world, McDonald's should set the bar high & make a firm commitment to use only deforestation-free Palm Oil. Tell McDonald's that—for the sake of our atmosphere, tropical forests, & endangered species—the time to act is now. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3798231
The TRUTH behind Palm Oil
Video: Terrified Orangutans Saved from Hunters http://www.care2.com/causes/terrified-orangutans-saved-from-hunters-video.html
Video: The Orangutan Rescue Station Part 1/5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxcukYGpiCE
Orangutans are severely Endangered & the farming of Palm Oil is killing them off even more. It's one of the main reasons they are dying off. Orangutans are man's closest relatives!! Palm Oil is also not good for your health!!
45) New!! Pet.: Stop Peanut Butter Company from Destroying Rainforests http://forcechange.com/129675/stop-jif-from-using-palm-oil-in-peanut-butter/#.U84yic5Xo2I.care2 Endangered Orangutans & Tigers continue to suffer at the hand of the Palm Oil industry. Rampant Deforestation, Forest fires, & peatland destruction are quickly eliminating the homes of these precious creatures & contributing to Climate Change. Some Cos. have made efforts to appear more environmentally friendly by joining the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), which had its 1st official meeting in 2003. This organization purports to work in the name of habitat conservation & sustainable Palm Oil production, but in reality the RSPO continues to permit & support destruction & unsustainable practices. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3790022
44) New!! Pet.: PepsiCo: Commit to Slavery-Free Palm Oil http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/861/155/120/ Palm Oil: from the moment you wake up & eat your breakfast, to brushing your teeth just before you go to bed, the chances are you have already consumed Palm Oil dozens of times. Palm Oil touches almost every aspect of our lives & also been shown to be produced by workers & children trapped in modern slavery. The vast majority of global Palm Oil comes from plantations in tropical countries, where journalists & workers' rights organisations have documented widespread exploitation. Workers are often trafficked into bonded labour, forced to live & work under extreme conditions, with limited legal recourse, & suffer from physical or threatened abuse. Child labour is also known to be rampant throughout Palm Oil plantations. Why? Cos. like PepsiCo, 1 of the world's largest Snack Food & Beverage Cos., demand cheap Palm Oil to use in their products while asking few questions about where it comes from or the damage caused. PepsiCo uses Palm Oil in a huge array of products we consume everyday – & it has no way of knowing if its Palm Oil is slavery-free. But we can change this. Call on PepsiCo CEO to pledge to exclusively & immediately use slavery-free palm oil.
43) New!! Pet.: Save Orangutans from Deforestation http://animalpetitions.org/4797/save-orangutans-from-deforestation/ Sign this global Pet. to the CEO of PepsiCo to save the last remaining Habitat of Orangutans & other Rainforest wildlife e.g. Endangered Pygmy Elephant, Sumatran Elephant, Sumatran Tiger & Rhino from being converted into Palm Oil plantations. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3774509
Pls Sign also: Pet. Save Orangutans from Deforestation http://forcechange.com/123427/save-orangutans-from-deforestation/#.U4Rfax_Cd84.care2
42) New!! Pet.: Boycott all Nestlé products and raise awareness of their evil practices!! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/517/090/251/boycott-all-nestl-products-and-raise-awareness-of-their-evil-practices/ Nestlé:
-Participates in the mass Destruction of our Rainforests: financing large monocultures in Asia, Africa, S.America. P.Oil plantations require the burning of the existing Rainforests;
-Deforestation: contributes to ClimateChange, destroys the Habitats of many Endangered Species: Orangutan & SumatranTiger;
-Performs unnecessary & cruel Animal Testing;
-Many reports of horrible working conditions, low wages & slavery & child labor esp.: cocoa, coffee & PalmOil Industry;
-Uses Genetically Modified ingredients for its products;
-Doesn’t respect the Consumers, tricks them into thinking they need its products. Making a Giant business out of bottled water: it doesn’t even necessarily have health benefits, simply filtered tap water for which uninformed people pay high prizes;
-Member in many Environment & Human Organizations: but doesn’t keep its promises to try to make the world a better place.
Prevent this Co. from entirely taking over our Food market, exploiting consumers & workers & destroying our Planet by boycotting all Nestlé products & by raising awareness of their evil practices
41) New!! Pet.: Save Orangutans from Deforestation http://forcechange.com/123427/save-orangutans-from-deforestation/#.U4Rfax_Cd84.care2 While some Cos. are beginning to buy sustainable ethically sourced Palm Oil, PepsiCo, which uses 457,200 metric Tons of Palm Oil a year, has yet to take any significant action. Demand that PepsiCo stop supporting mass environmental destruction & human rights violations & start using ethically sourced Palm Oil. 85% of Palm Oil is grown in Indonesia & Malaysia, where millions of acres of Rainforest have been destroyed to make room for Palm Oil plantations. These Rainforests are the last remaining home of wild Orangutans, who have already lost 80% of their Habitat. The Endangered Pygmy Elephant, Sumatran Elephant, Sumatran Tiger, & other Species are also finding their remaining Habitat destroyed for Palm cultivation. Less than 1,500 Pygmy Elephant remain in the wild & the Sumatran Tiger has less than 300. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3773841
40) Actions: CUT Conflict Palm Oil http://understory.ran.org/2014/04/09/taking-action-global-day-of-action-to-cut-conflict-palm-oil/ Source: Stephanie G.
39) New!! Pet.: STOP the Palm Oil for Food!!! https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Stop_a_lhuile_de_palme_alimentaire_1/?sohPFfb The Food Industry is involved in the destruction of most of the largest area of tropical Forest in the Earth…Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3771964
PepsiCo Commits to Zero Deforestation Palm Oil PepsiCo uses a whole lot of Palm Oil -- 450,000 tons each year, to be precise -- & it will not be "largely free" of Rainforest Destruction & peatlands conversion until 2016. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3772632
38) New!! Pet.: Demand that PepsiCo Go Deforestation-Free https://secure3.convio.net/ucs/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=6AD17D6E29C573B33E32BBE9E97195B6.app338a?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=4101&autologin=true Tropical Deforestation currently accounts for about 10% of the world's heat-trapping emissions (Global Warming). PepsiCo continues to lag behind industry peers who have already promised to ensure that they won't buy from Palm Oil suppliers linked to tropical Deforestation. This is unacceptable. PepsiCo can, & should, do more to protect tropical Forests, our Climate, & Endangered Species. Tell PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi that it's time to go deforestation-free! Source: Janice T.
37) New!! Pet.: No more Palm Oil, help save Orangutans! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/817/770/295/no-more-palm-oil-help-save-orangutans/ Ask Trader Joes & Whole Foods to not sell any products that contain Palm Oil! Vegan foods are foods that shouldn't harm any animals but a lot of the vegan foods sold at Trader Joes & Whole Foods contain Palm Oil. Forests are being destroyed, Orangutans are left homeless or burned & killed by the Palm Oil industry. These health food stores that support so many great causes need to take a stand against the Palm Oil industry. Read your labels, boycott products that contain Palm Oil! Source: Sabine H.
36) New!! Pet.: PEPSICO cut conflict Palm Oil http://action.sumofus.org/a/pepsico-palm-oil/?sub=mtl 135,927Signatures. I Signed with all my & my family mails!! Fighting for people over profits!! The biggest threat to the Rainforest right now: Palm Oil plantations are clear-cutting the Rainforest so they can expand. And the world’s largest global Snack Food Co. could help end that with one piece of paper. Pepsico buys staggering amounts of conflict Palm Oil every week. Unlike other companies (like Kellogg’s & Mars), it is okay with buying oil that comes from Rainforest Destruction. If Pepsico committed to buying responsible Palm Oil, it could help reshape the entire global supply chain for the better. The timing is perfect. Major companies like Kellogg’s have just adopted new Palm Oil commitments. And a hot new TV show just shined the media spotlight squarely on Pepsico. Source: Sabine H.; Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3764022
PALMED OFF by Fastfood&Food Chains: Summary Petitions List:
35) Actions: 3 things you can do to let Kellogg know that it is doing the right thing, but needs to do more: 1. Call Kellogg https://ran.wufoo.com/forms/thanks-for-calling-kelloggs-z5wk5vq0vfsvnt/ ; 2. Post this message on Kellogg's Facebook wall: Thanks for strengthening Kellogg's palm oil commitment. Don't stop there, we need Kellogg to put its words into action with a thorough & rapid implementation plan for removing Conflict Palm Oil from its products. The power is InYourPalm; 3. Tweet at Kellogg
PALMED OFF by Fastfood&Food Chains: Summary Petitions List:
28) Actions: http://ecowatch.com/2013/10/11/protect-rainforests-and-wildlife-with-palm-oil-free-halloween-candy/
30) Action: http://inyourpalm.org/
Scientists estimate in some years Orangutans will become extinct! Palm Oil contributes to deforestation in Borneo & Sumatra, the only 2 places on Earth where Orangutans live. Trees are cut down for Palm Oil Plantations, but these trees are the Orangutan's Home. Orangutans are endangered! Nutella contains Palm Oil, by eating this product we are contributuing to hurting the Orangutan Species! Source: Ana M.
Palm Oil isn't just bad for Orangutans, it's bad for our Planet: contributing 15% of Global Warming. Indonesia & Malaysia are home to many Endangered Species, including Elephants, Tigers, Rhinos, & Orangutans. These are just some of the animals being killed due to Palm Oil harvest. Worse yet, this is devastating the lives of people. As more Palm Oil industries begin to kill the Forest, families who have relied on the forest's resources for years, maybe even generations are losing their livelihood. Source: Jade Newton
RAN launched this ambitious campaign to save some of the world's most important Rainforests & the last remaining wild Orangutans from "Conflict Palm Oil". A big step forward: Kellogg just released a new PalmOil sourcing commitment, a step in the right direction by requiring its global suppliers to provide P.Oil that is fully traceable & produced without destroying Rainforests. But a statement is not the same as a time-bound responsible P.Oil policy. If Kellogg is serious ab. achieving responsible P.Oil supply chains by Dec.31,2015, putting its words into action with a thorough implementation plan. This would not have happened without you: your calls, posts, tweets really made a difference. We’re winning, now we need you to help turn this commitment into real action. Source: Lynn G.
35) New!! Actions: 3 things you can do to let Kellogg know that it is doing the right thing, but needs to do more:
1. Call Kellogg https://ran.wufoo.com/forms/thanks-for-calling-kelloggs-z5wk5vq0vfsvnt/
2. Post this message on Kellogg's Facebook wall: Thanks for strengthening Kellogg's palm oil commitment. Don't stop there, we need Kellogg to put its words into action with a thorough & rapid implementation plan for removing Conflict Palm Oil from its products. The power is InYourPalm
3. Tweet at Kellogg
Kellogg to use environmentally friendly Palm Oil Kellogg Co. says it will buy Palm Oil only from Companies that don't destroy tropical Rainforests to produce the additive used in many processed foods. The cereal giant responded to a campaign by environmental groups that have long pressured the food industry to shun Palm Oil from plantations that displace Rainforests in Southeast Asia, primarily Indonesia. The Forests are home to Endangered Species such as the Orangutan & Sumatran Tiger. Palm Oil cultivation has wiped out more than 30,000 sq. miles of Rainforests in Indonesia & Malaysia alone. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3743285
34) New!! Pet.: Save Endangered Animals from Habitat Destruction http://animalpetitions.org/2989/save-endangered-animals-from-habitat-destruction/ There’s an atrocity taking place right now that’s destroying the lives of numerous wild animals, & every time we buy a bag of chips or a can of soda, we subsidize it. PepsiCo Inc. is the No. 1 processed food & beverage Co. in the world, earning over $65 billion in total revenue in 2012 alone. Such massive wealth is not the result of soda pop sales alone. The numerous junk food brands they own, such as Doritos, Frito Lay, & Cheetos, have helped make Pepsi the behemoth snack company it is today. Hidden behind those enormous profits however, is the ongoing devastation of the native Indonesian & Malaysian animal inhabitants, namely the Sumatran & Bornean Orangutan, the Pygmy Elephant, the Proboscis Monkey, & the Gibbon — among many others. At the heart of such destruction is the ravenous demand for Palm Oil, a product found in over half of all food, personal care, & cleaning products. With almost 90% of existing Palm Oil grown in Indonesia & Malaysia, this precious land is gobbled up at a fearsome rate. And Pepsi continues to support the decimation. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3703085
33) New!! Pet.: Save Endangered Animals from Habitat Destruction http://forcechange.com/100127/save-endangered-animals-from-habitat-destruction/#.Utvai-Expbw.care2 There’s an atrocity taking place right now that’s destroying the lives of numerous wild animals, & every time we buy a bag of chips or a can of soda, we subsidize it. PepsiCo Inc. is the No. 1 processed food & beverage Co. in the world, earning over $65 billion in total revenue in 2012 alone. Such massive wealth is not the result of soda pop sales alone. The numerous junk food brands they own, such as Doritos, Frito Lay, & Cheetos, have helped make Pepsi the behemoth snack company it is today. Hidden behind those enormous profits however, is the ongoing devastation of the native Indonesian and Malaysian animal inhabitants, namely the Sumatran & Bornean Orangutan, the Pygmy Elephant, the Proboscis Monkey, & the Gibbon — among many others. At the heart of such destruction is the ravenous demand for Palm Oil, a product found in over half of all food, personal care, & cleaning products. With almost 90% of existing Palm Oil grown in Indonesia & Malaysia, this precious land is gobbled up at a fearsome rate. And Pepsi continues to support the decimation. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3702760
32) New!! Pet.: Stop Special K's Rainforest Destruction! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/114/987/110/stop-my-special-k-from-destroying-rainforests/ A recent report by Oxfam shows that Corporations like Kellogg’s have acquired over 4 million hectares of land for sugar production. Much of this land belongs to indigenous peoples, & it often consists of pristine Rainforests. Once the land is obtained by Kellogg’s they lock out local people & cut down the forests to turn it into farm land. This land grab has been linked to human rights violations in Brasil. It also destroys forests that contribute to mitigating Climate Change, give Endangered Species refuge, protect precious waterways, & prevent many dramatic environmental impacts. It also destroys Indigenous Communities leaving many of them without a means to grow food & live a traditional lifestyle. All this so Kellogg’s can put sugar on our cereals! It’s time for Kellogg’s to stop these land grabs & operate in a transparent & ethic way. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3654115
29) New!! Pet.: Tell the Snack Food 20: Cut Conflict Palm Oil, Not Rainforests http://act.ran.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=8546 Expansion of Palm Oil plantations into Indonesia’s & Malaysia's Rainforests is pushing wild Orangutans to the brink of EXTINCTION. We have reached The Last Stand of the Orangutan—but it's not too late. Call on the Snack Food 20—Cos. that control some of the best-known Snack Food Brands in the world—to remove "conflict Palm Oil", tied to Rainforest Destruction & Orangutan extinction, from their products. These Cos. rely on our trust as consumers, so if enough of us speak up, the Snack Food 20 will have to change the way they do business. Only 60,600 Orangutans remain in the wilds of Sumatra & Borneo, so we’re trying to get 60,600 humans to stand up for them by calling on the Snack Food 20 to cut conflict Palm Oil, not Rainforests. Will you be one of them?
30) URGENT!! Take Actions: http://inyourpalm.org/
Watch Video!! AMAZING! Orangutan asks girl for help in sign language http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=G32YehcdUAw Rainforests are being destroyed for Palm Oil & pushing the last wild Orangutans to the brink of extinction. At Rainforest Action Network our goal is to collect 60,600 photo petitions - that's one person for each Orangutan remaining in the wild. We'll deliver these photos to the Snack Food 20, the top Snack Food Companies that are using this Conflict Palm Oil in our food. RAN teamed up with Free Range Studios to produce this 2 minute video to launch The Last Stand of the Orangutan: The Power is in Your Palm - a new Nat.l campaign exposing the US Snack Food Industry for putting Conflict Palm Oil into the food products we buy everyday. Source: Ajla C., Bryna P., Kate K., Rhonda W., SuSanne P., Sylvie C., Zoe and Art; Tamara H. http://www.care2.com/news/member/827502242/3655127
30) Take Action!! Submit your photo http://inyourpalm.org/ Thousands submitted photo petitions. Have you submitted one? We need your voice too! Orangutans deserve a voice. We’re not going to sit back & wait for the SnackFood 20 to eliminate Conflict PalmOil voluntarily. We took our message to the Cos. We won’t let these Cos. hide from the damage that they are doing to the planet, we won’t let them greenwash their practices & we will make absolutely sure they hear us, see us, & know that we won’t stop. People spoke up & made their voices heard at rallies & events. We met hundreds of incredible activists who came with us to deliver our message, hosted house parties, took #InYourPalm petition photos with us & came to our events. Dozens of activists in Orangutan masks joined us at the Chicago Board of Trade to kick off the campaign RAN style with a huge banner reading “Snack Food 20: Cut Conflict Palm Oil, not Rainforests” We were invited to Power Shift, where we were honored to speak to the 5,000 students & youth climate activists from the main stage, showing our video & compelling this wonderful group to take action. HUNDREDS of you took action on the Facebook pages of the Snack Food 20. It is clear that the PalmOil Action Team is bigger, more powerful & more diverse than we ever imagined. We are, you are, mothers, fathers, girl scouts, high school & college students, food justice, climate change & animal rights activists, educators & more: this makes us powerful. We want to thank everybody who has helped us along the way, every one of you. Jess Serrante, Nat.l Agribusiness Organizer
News: Greenpeace slams Palm Oil maker that supplies Oreo & Gillette http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/22/greenpeace-slams-palm-oil-giant-supplying-oreo-and-gillette/ Oreo Cookies, Gillette Shaving Cream, Clearasil face wash, among an array of grocery items in more than 50 countries, are among products driving the destruction of Indonesia’s Forests! Greenpeace accused agri giant Wilmar Int.l for supplying “dirty PalmOil” to make the grocery items. In its report “Licence to Kill,” Greenpeace said that Singapore-based Wilmar, the world’s biggest Palm Oil processor, was sourcing its Palm Oil from illegally cleared land & destroying the Habitat of Critically Endangered Sumatran Tigers.“Until Wilmar commits to a no-deforestation policy, their trade of Palm Oil to big household brands… makes consumers unwitting accomplices in the extinction of Indonesia’s 400 remaining Sumatran Tigers” Wilmar is the latest company to be targeted by Greenpeace, which has taken aim at several high-profile firms & campaigned for responsible consumer spending. Nestle & paper giant Asia Pulp & Paper have pledged zero-Deforestation policies after Greenpeace exposed their unsustainable practices. Source: Ani F.
News: Homeless Orangutan Signs Heart-Breaking Message About Palm Oil http://www.care2.com/causes/homeless-orangutan-signs-heart-breaking-message-about-palm-oil.html Everyone is guilty of buying the products that fuel this destruction: Palm Oil is in half of all products commonly found in supermarkets & comprises 35% of the global vegetable oil market. It is commonly used in shampoo, soap, processed foods, candy, even biofuel. Palm Oil imports to the U.S. have tripled between 2005 & 2009, with increasing demand also in China, India & elsewhere. That skyrocketing demand has created 3 big Palm Oil victims: people, wildlife and the planet. Bulldozing through vast tracts of Rainforest isn’t only terrible for wildlife & watersheds, however. It’s also contributing to Global Warming & Climate Change that affects all of us. “As vast swaths of forest & swamp are obliterated to make way for plantations, thousands of tons of carbon dioxide is released. More carbon dioxide is released when peat swamps are drained & dried out to make way for Palm cultivation”. Source: Simon V.
Demand for Vegetable Oil Increases Rate of Deforestation http://www.triplepundit.com/2012/03/demand-vegetable-oil-increases-rate-deforestation/
Agribusiness in the Rainforest http://ran.org/agribusiness-rainforest
Sumatran Elephants http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/elephants/asian_elephants/sumatran_elephant/
The destruction of Rainforest in South East Asia for conversion to Palm Oil plantations is causing the loss of Wild animals like Tigers and Orangutans.
News: Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) is a Myth
“Companies buying Palm Oil need to be http://understory.ran.org/2011/03/21/the-great-rspo-membership-myth-why-buying-from-rspo-members-doesnt-mean-jack-%#&!*%/aware that the only way to ensure sustainable sourcing is to buy certified sustainable Palm Oil from companies that have been assessed against the RSPO standards. Buying from RSPO members is not enough.” – WWF, Aug 2010 Thin Mints Contain Rainforest Destroying-Palm Oil
RSPO Members Have Been Documented Destroying Orangutan Habitat
3) Wildlife: Habitat Destruction & PalmOil: The tropical forests of Indonesia & Malaysia: home to some of the most beautiful & Critically Endangered creatures on Earth. Elephants, Tigers, Rhinos & Orangutans, just a some of the most visible Endangered Species being decimated by irresponsible forest clearing to make way for plantations. Orangutans & other creatures considered pests are actively trapped & killed by plantation owners, who offer bounties for dead Orangutans. WWF estimates: fewer that 3,000 Sumatran Elephants left; the species lost 70% of its habitat in the last 25yrs, & 85% of its remaining Habitat: unprotected & vulnerable to PalmOil plantation expansion.
News: Top 3 Victims of Palm Oil: Wildlife, People & Planet http://www.care2.com/causes/top-3-victims-of-palm-oil-wildlife-people-and-planet.html 1) Planet: Palm Oil’s Role in Global Warming: Indonesia & Malaysia have the largest tropical forests in Asia & the world’s primary PalmOil producers. Tropical forest destruction accounts for 15% of Global Warming pollution; Palm Oil cultivation: one of the major causes of Rainforest destruction. Vast swaths of forest & swamp obliterated to make way for plantations, thousands of tons of carbon dioxide released; more carbon dioxide released when peat swamps are drained & dried out to make way for Palm cultivation.
2) People: Communities Disrupted & Destroyed by PalmOil: Entire communities destroyed or thrown into poverty as plantations gut the livelihood of people who have relied on the forest’s resources for hundreds of years. In the rush to acquire land to create mega plantations, traditional land rights & community customs are being violated. RAN describes barriers that native farmers experience in Indonesia: “When the small farmers complain to the Gov.t that their land has been stolen, they are shown papers that prove that the land their families had farmed for generations was now owned by [agribusinesses] Cargill or ADM/Wilmar.”
Take action!! Protect Rainforests & Wildlife With Palm-Oil-Free Halloween Candy http://ecowatch.com/2013/protect-rainforests-and-wildlife-with-palm-oil-free-halloween-candy/ People who work to save Rainforests & protect Wildlife are urging consumers to refrain from buying Halloween candy made with Palm Oil!! palm oil producers in Indonesia & Malaysia rely on Forced & Child Labor & Indonesia’s Palm Oil industry is rife with human-rights abuses. Companies clear tropical Rainforests to plant their Oil Palm trees, which obliterates the homes of Endangered animals like Orangutans, Pygmy Elephants & Sumatran Tigers. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3656618
Report: Cargill's Problems With Palm Oil http://ran.org/cargills-problems-palm-oil
This photo is from the above investigative Report from RAN that presents evidence that Cargill is operating 2 undisclosed Palm Oil plantations in W. Kalimantan, Indonesia:
Candy that contain Palm Oil http://www.elpasozoo.org/docs/Palmoil-candy.pdf
28) New!! ACTIONS: An Everyday Ingredient That’s Killing Orangutans http://www.globalanimal.org/2013/10/03/palm-oil-consumption-endangers-orangutans/108848/ Destruction of the Earth's ecosystem also means endangering the lives of iconic Species who live there, including the red-listed Sumatran & Borneo Orangutans. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3653131
1.The survival of Orangutans is being increasingly threatened by society’s growing rate of Palm Oil consumption
2. The destruction of Rainforests has had terrible implications for the wellbeing of the natural world as well as ourselves
25) Pet. : Palm Oil Boycott: Death By Brownie http://www.change.org/petitions/palm-oil-boycott-death-by-brownie 1,880 Signatures Orangutans are severely Endangered & the farming of Palm Oil is killing them off even more. It's one of the main reasons they are dying off. Palm Oil is also not good for your health. Please sign this petition to stop the killing of one of man's closest relatives. Source: Vicynthia T.
23) Pet.: Stop Fonterra importing Palm Kernel http://www.greenpeace.org/new-zealand/en/take-action/Take-action-online/fonterra/#TakeAction Fonterra’s Palm Kernel imports: expected over 1MillionTons from nothing in 1999. From pastoral to industrial dairying in NZ. Agriculture responsible for 49% of NZ's CO2 emissions. No need for NZ to produce dairy products at the expense of tropical Rainforests,Endangered Orangutans,NZ's green reputation,the Climate. Shelly S.http://www.care2.com/news/member/504390839/3039515
Video: The milk advert they don't want you to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvvLsAMsOJM
Video: Fonterra implicated in Rainforest Destruction
22) New!! Pet.: KELLOGS DON’T LET ME GO EXTINCT http://action.sumofus.org/a/kellogg-palm-oil/3/2/?akid=1908.926224.ZLhpYl&rd=1&sub=fwd&t=2
The rainforests of Indonesia are an ecological treasure: They’re home to critically endangered species like the Orangutan & the Sumatran Tiger, & they also store more carbon than the entire world emits in 9 years. Now snack & cereal giant Kellogg's has made a huge deal with a company that’s wiping these Forests off the map. End your partnership with Wilmar Int.l, the world's least sustainable corporation, unless it agrees to stop relying on Deforestation.
Teresa W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/516095512/3608636
i visited the Concerned Scientists website to finally find their petitions regarding deforestation.
Thank you for the beautiful pictures of orang utans.
NUTELLA has made an advertisement showing how good it is with the palm oÃ¯l from palm trees in ... Malaysia. It hurts to watch that.
Glad to Sign & Share Petitions, Thanks so much Mich for all your work and dedication!!!~
Thanks; glad to get info out to the big companies and to learn that there's cooperative work going on.
Hopefully, Dr. Oz will be apprised of the medical info; petitions are already on their way. Tx.
Thanks for calling on the US snack industry to help protect rainforests and orangutans. I miss you Michela! Thank you very much my dear friend.
The sad plight of orang utans is simply heartbreaking. Is it so difficult to understand?
Thank you, Michela. I've signed the petitions I hadn't signed yet. I sincerely hope our objectives will be reached.
Palm Oil - in the Cooking Industry
Since Palm Oil is of a lower quality than Olive Oil, it remained rare outside W. Africa. Its increasing use in the commercial Food Industry...because: 1) Palm Oil has the LOWEST Production COST of the major Oils, & 2) Products last more time in the Supermarket shelves!! for the high oxidative stability (saturation) of the refined product when used for frying.
Many processed foods contain Palm Oil but it is NOT DECLARED on Labels!!! Or Label simply says: "Vegetable Oils"!! Try to read a Chips Packet Label, just as an example!! This is a real offence to all of us, but particularly to VEGANS & VEGETARIANS devoting their lifestyle not to hurt animals, while, like all customers, they are unwillingly & unconsciously contributing to the SLAUGHTER of Tigers, Elephants, Rhinos, Clouded Leopards, Sun Bears, Wildlife...& GENOCIDE of Orangutans, who share 98% DNA with us!!!
Palm Oil - Health: Blood Lipid and Cholesterol Effects
The U.S. Center for Science in the Public Interest said Palm Oil promotes heart disease; Report cited Research going back to 1970; also said that The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute, World Health Organization (WHO), and other Health Authorities urged reduced consumption of Palm Oil; WHO states that there is convincing evidence that palmitic acid consumption contributes to an increased risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. A 2006 Study by the National Institute of Health and the USDA Agricultural Research Service concluded that it's not a safe substitute for partially hydrogenated fats (trans fats) in the Food Industry, as Palm Oil results in adverse changes in the blood concentrations of LDL Cholesterol and apolipoprotein B just as trans fat does.
Palm Oil - Other uses
Palm Oil became a highly sought-after commodity by British traders, for use as an industrial Lubricant for machinery during Britain's Industrial Revolution; the basis of Soap products, such as Lever Brothers' (now Unilever) "Sunlight Soap", and the American Palmolive brand; derivatives of palmitic acid were used with naphta during World WarII to produce Napalm; to create Biodiesel.
Every time you spread nutella on your toast, you slap the face of dying orangutan: the video is no longer available - we know why!
I think I've signed all the petitions I hadn't signed yet. Thank you, Michela!
A few years ago I didn't take Nutella,Kellogs,KFC,P&G and Kraft foods.
All the big brands are full of chemicals,poisons and toxins as well.
I look everytime on the box before I buy food or household cleaning products.
Many nice and cute photos of Orang Utans added here.
Got these latest ones. Thank you dear, sweet Michela!
Hi, gotta ask the question again. Please answer, Michela or whomever: I read that Greenpeace's campaign to get KFC to get rid of APP was successful. KFC did drop APP. I need to understand where how that syncs with the recent petition. Thanks! Jude
Signed last petition. Question about KFC: following my last post, I received word the KFC had decided not to use APP anymore following the campaign directly addressing the issue with them. What gives? Please advise, tx.
from Ness ...
i love the darling photos
Aw, geez...in a manner of minutes, I've sworn off KFC and Coca-Cola, two huge favourites of mine. But that's what knowledge does, doesn't it? All signed, thanks! Oh! I'm almost afraid to find out all of the things that have palm oil in them. And so it goes....Jude
News: "Every Time You Spread Nutella on Your Toast, You Are Slapping the Face of a Dying Orangutan!" https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4553620832353&set=a.1549326886882.2078013.1046389155&type=1&theater
Pls. Say No to Nutella or any products that contain Palm Oil. The Impacts of the Deforestation for Palm Oil on Orangutans:
~ Or. are the only Asian Great Ape; they are the largest arboreal (tree dwelling) mammal on Earth. The wild population of B. Orangutans estimated at 45,000-69,000. There are only approx. 7,300 Sumatran Orangutans remaining; amongst the top 25 most endangered Primates in the world.
~ Or. give birth once every 6 -10 yrs, the longest interbirth interval of any mammal! (A slow reproductive cycle makes Orangutans extremely vulnerable to extinction).
~ After logging rainforest habitat, P.Oil Cos. use uncontrolled burning to clear the land. In 1997-98 a devastating fire killed almost 8,000 Bornean Or.. Or. are predicted to be extinct in the wild within the next years if the rate of deforestation remains unchanged. Indonesia: the Guinness Book of World Records for the highest rate deforestation. Of the 44 countries which collectively account for 90% of the world’s forests, Indonesia pursues the highest annual rate of deforestation, with 1.8 million hectares of forest destroyed each year. We have to Say No to P.Oil Now to Protect the Or. & All the Wonderful Variety of Wildlife in Borneo, Sumatra & Papua New Guinea.
~ Borneo: home to 13 Primate species, 350 bird species, 150 reptiles & amphibians & 15,000 plant species.
~Sumatra: home to S. Rhinos, Clouded Leopards, S. Tigers, Asian Tapirs, S. Elephants, & thousands of other species.
~ Papua New Guinea harbors the 3rd largest unbroken chain of rainforest in the world, Home to 7.5% of Earth's biodiversity, incl. 197 species of frog, 762 of bird, & 3000 of fish.
~ Papua New Guinea's forests: Home to tiny tree Kangaroos, over 1,000 varieties of wild orchids, endemic such as the largest Butterfly in the world. Much remains to be surveyed & studied but time is running out as between 5 to 6 million hectares of forests already cleared & a further 10.5 million hectares earmarked as logging concessions. Annual deforestation rate: 300,000 hectares but this will increase if Oil Palm expansion unfolds as planned..."
Sources: Curzio B., Roshani S., Toni A.
oops piccy already done..hopefully this is new
all signed for the list Michela very helpful
A 6-day-old baby Orangutan snuggles up to its mother in Gelsenkirchen, Germany
News: Malaysia slams French 'Nutella' Palm Oil tax plan http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hy2hqC69nQxHuYE4qLrtEigVjf1Q?docId=CNG.31155d745f32809d18cd13234c1f32c4.5d1
PARIS — Malaysia'a official Palm Oil Council on Monday slammed as "irresponsible" & "badly informed" a French senator's call to slap a 300% tax increase on Palm Oil, known in France as a "Nutella tax" after a popular brand of spread. "The proposal is based on inaccurate claims that palm oil is bad for health and nutrition, and that Malaysia does not respect the environment," the council said in a statement received here. It insisted that palm oil is "a healthy, natural & important product which 240,000 small farmers in Malaysia are proud to produce" & urged the French Gov.t to reject the call by Senator Yves Daudigny. Daudigny asked for the tax hike on the grounds that production of Palm Oil harms the Environment & its consumption fuels obesity. The tax has been the dubbed the "Nutella tax" as Palm Oil is the main ingredient in the chocolate spread that is hugely popular in France. "The action taken by French Senator Daudigny... is irresponsible, badly-informed & ignores the primary source of saturated fats in the French diet" said the Palm Oil Council statement. It argued that most saturated fats consumed in France came from animal sources -- from meat, milk, cheese & butter -- & not from Palm Oil.
Environmentalists say Palm Oil, which is widely used as Biofuel & in processed food & toiletries, is grown on vast plantations leading to Deforestation which threatens rare species such as Orangutans & Rhinos. Malaysia is one of the world's top 2 Palm Oil exporters & alongside Indonesia, accounts for 85% of global production.
Source: Dianne C.
May 23, 2012 Fast food giant Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) is linked to the destruction of Indonesia's Rainforests through its packaging sourcing practices -Greenpeace.
An investigation by the environmental activist group found traces of mixed tropical hardwood fiber (MTH) in KFC's drink cups, food boxes, napkins and chicken buckets. The fiber comes from Asia Pulp&Paper, a paper products giant that continues to rely on conversion of Indonesian Rainforests for pulp & paper production.
KFC is the latest big brand to be caught trashing rainforests and pushing endangered animals, like the Sumatran tiger, towards extinction
Source: Vicynthia Tjahjadi
Forest clearing in the Bukit Tigapuluh Forest Landscape in central Sumatra
Signed and thanks for the baby orangutan.
All signed! Thank you for all your hard work Michela!
Hi Michela signed the Greenpeace Message :-0 Thanx...also Thank-You for The Green Star Hugggs xx Your Friend Barb E.
Signed and spread. TY, Michela.
Love your pictures of the Orangutans especially the babies they are so funny
This post was modified from its original form on 31 May, 10:13
Signed all (and yesterday I posted the Greenpeacelink on a local newssite: every signature counts)
7) New!! Urge KFC to Use Environmentally Friendly Paper Products
The production of Palm Oil is a highly lucrative business in countries such as Indonesia and Malaysia. Palm Oil plantations generally replace indigenous Tropical Rainforests: not only are the homes of local people & that of Endangered Species being destroyed when this happens, but large amounts of carbon are being emitted & contributing to Global Warming as well. The Union of Concerned Scientists: “Tropical Deforestation accounts for about 15% of annual global carbon emissions.” The World Watch Inst.: “Oil Palm development… can contribute far more greenhouse gases to the atmosphere than it helps to avoid.” Palm Oil plantations are often planted in wet peatlands “of carbon-rich forest debris that is too wet to decompose.” As these wetlands continue to be drained, it is estimated that up to 5,400 tons of carbon dioxide will be released into the world’s atmosphere within the next 25 years.
The Coca Cola Company are still using Palm Oil in one of their product brands: Odwalla. Coca Cola is a large enough & powerful enough company to switch suppliers & supplies: the company must commit to using oils that do not cause Deforestation. We, as consumers, must commit to not buying these products or supporting the Coca Cola industry until we are sure that they are engaging in sustainable practices.
Signed the latest 2. Thanks Michela for removing the extra post I made. I had not noticed that this petition was already included in the group. There so many that you can lose track. (if only it was not necessary to have so many petitions but we must fight to save those beautiful creatures).
It is an honor to sign the petition along with all the other members. Thank you Michela!! Some lovely photos!!
Signed, Thanks! I'm so glad that I don't patronize any of these fast food restaurants and now I will make sure that I let my friends know so that they can boycott them too!
I want you all to sign this because time is running out for the Orang Utan and the need to solve these problems, immediate.
I have read some harsh criticism of UN's management. I met with its head back in June 2005, to bring this very subject of Palm Oil to its attention, both for Orang Utans and also Tigers.
We are dealing with a very complex situation, in an area that has suffered so very much. Against the backdrop of global-scale tragedy everything pales slightly.
My understanding of the difficulty is that much of the deforestation and palm planting is being undertaken without authority of any permit and prevention not a simple process - given there is no guard patrol, the detection process mainly relies on informants.
Signed, thank you Michela.
We must do all we can to put a stop to all of those who are destroying this planet in which we all live on!!!
As I have already signed, I post this lovely photo. I hope you like it.
Thank you for telling Pizza Hut, and Dunkin' Donuts to hold the rainforest destruction
SIGNED! Mum. Kisses Jasmine
Money always wins out , over the environment. makes me ill....
Noted and signed. I think these big companies should realize what they are doing to our planet, all the damage they cause is very difficult to solve. Thank you Michela
Signed. I also refuse to give these companies any of my business!
Just got the update from Greenpeace about Burger King not using palm oil from Sinar Mas because of sustainability practices and their impact on the rainforests of Indonesia. People were dressing as Orangutans at the Burger Kings over here in the United States. It is a good thing. Burger King is now owned by a company in the United Kingdom. As for your computer Michela you might want to check the modem. My computer would slow down, freeze up, and just cut the internet off intermittingly. And then it would not let me get back on the internet unless I shutdown and came back later. I guess the modem would cool down and it would work again. Eventually it went out completely. It took us three times to get a good modem. I had to run tests on my computer and finally found out where the problem was. If the lights are not lit up on the modem it is more than likely bad. The modem is a little black box between your computer and your telephone line or whatever service you prescribe to. You might want to check it out. I was not a happy man when I couldn't get on the internet. Peace, Marvin
Signed and shared on Facebook
Thanks Michela. Signed.
Sinar Mas seems to be like a cancer spreading throughout the body. If you eat fast food, then after signing, boycott the chains and tell them why.
I took the action. I added something along the lines of "even though your company does not operate in Croatia, people around the world are working together to eliminate palm oil from products. We are also writing to other companies in our own countries regarding palm oil."
Thank you for telling Burger King, Pizza Hut, and Dunkin' Donuts to hold the rainforest destruction - thanks Michela!
Tell Fast Food Chains To Stop Serving Up Rainforest Destruction!