89) New!! Pet.: Stop Logging Malayan Tiger Rainforest http://www.thepetitionsite.com/768/763/497/stop-logging-malayan-tiger-rainforest/ The Belum-Temengor Forest Complex is one of the last refuges for amazing, yet highly threatened wildlife, such as the Malayan Tiger, Asian Elephant & Sunda Pangolin. There are around 500 of this sub-species; the other 5 sub-species make up the world's last remaining 3,200 wild tigers. Belum-Temengor, the largest continuous forest complex in Penissular Malaysia, faces considerable deforestation from logging. With the recent construction of the East-West Highway, new towns & industrial areas have developed, & the Highway provides more access for the extraction of timber from the jungles. Additionally, there are plans to convert natural forest into plantation forests along the East-West Highway. We ask Malaysia to stop logging in the Temengor Rainforest & save the Malayan Tiger from extinction by providing protected, unfragmented habitat. Anna P. http://www.care2.com/news/member/862450128/3822413
Tiger traffickers busted in Indonesia Two online merchants of Tiger parts have been arrested in Indonesia. The bust was the result of a coordinated effort between local & national authorities, & the Wildlife Conservation Society. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3819007
Malayan Tigers face bleak future — only 300 left Despite Perhilitan's efforts, which include the strengthening of legislation & increased patrolling, Tiger conservation across the country's vast tropical Forest landscape continues to face challenges. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3804149
88) New!! Pet.: Help Save the Tiger http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/664/174/248/ Pls sign the pledge & say 'No' to products that fuel Illegal Poaching. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3803677
87) New!! Pet.: Demand Updated Data from Various Asian Countries Regarding Tiger Endangerment http://www.thepetitionsite.com/837/974/797/demand-updated-data-from-various-asian-countries-regarding-tiger-endangerment/ Target: Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam Gov.t Officials. Most countries have complied by sending in their data while attempting to preserve the existence of this beautiful wild creature although some areas have yet to conform to the request & submit the survey of data. There has to be a reason for their not fulfilling these WWF data requirements. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3795934
86) Pet.: Save the Sumatran Tigers! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/263/617/756/save-the-sumatran-tigers/ There are less than 300 Sumatran Tigers left on Earth!!!! And there have been Tiger traps found all over Nat.l parks!! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3781184
Happy Global Tiger Day!!!
500 Tigers in our jungles? Not really In the last 10 years, Malaysia has been holding on to a floating figure of 500 wild Malayan Tigers, but in reality the number may be a lot less. 60 years ago, Malaysia had an estimated 3,000 of the sub-species in the peninsula, but Poaching, Deforestation & Habitat Degradation has caused the tiger population to dwindle. The Malayan Tiger — similar to the Indo-Chinese sub-species — is not only important to maintain the country’s biodiversity, but also the balance in the ecosystem. “People don’t get the idea of why the apex predator like tigers are important. “If apex or umbrella species are gone, there will be a cascading effect to the ecosystem”. “Negative effects can spill over through an imbalanced food chain, thereby causing the dynamism & stability of the ecosystem to be adversely altered. “Protecting the umbrella species can safeguard hundreds of other species that share their habitat, thereby preserving overall biodiversity” Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3786195
Deforestation drives Tigers into contact, conflict with humans Conflicts between Tigers & humans will continue to increase unless the destruction & loss of Sumatra's Forests is halted, warns Dr. Erni Suyanti Musabine, a wildlife conservation veterinarian with Indonesia's Ministry of Forestry. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3782100
Actor Leonardo DiCaprio Saves Tigers in His Spare Time! The Oscar-nominated actor, along with the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, has contributed enormous support over the years to various environmental causes & humanitarian efforts. Source: Lotta L.
A Tiger takes a refreshing dip from the heat, Ragunan Zoo, South Jakarta, Indonesia
85) New!! Pet.: Put a Halt to the Tiger Trade http://forcechange.com/61426/urge-government-officials-to-end-the-tiger-trade/#gf_15 Target: Gov.t representatives attending the Convention on Int.l Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora Goal: End the trade of Tiger parts worldwide! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3767925
Female Sumatran Tiger arrives at Wellington Zoo from Australia Wellington Zoo is delighted to welcome a young female Sumatran Tiger, 3-year old Senja, who has travelled from Mogo Zoo in Australia. Visitors will see her in the Zoo's Tiger habitat in the Asia precinct from June 19. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3781248
Sumatran Tigers get new home at Safari Park The new Tiger habitat includes features like a waterfall that was designed to keep the Tigers engaged & interested in their surroundings. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3772589
A baby watches a young male Sumatran Tiger while visiting the new Tiger habitat at the San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park. The soon to open exhibit will house 6 Tigers
Sumatran Tiger cubs at Topeka Zoo have first checkup The sex of the 3, born Sunday, is not yet apparent. The cubs’ mother, Jingga, remained calm during the exam & returned to her cubs when it was over. While blind & largely helpless, the cubs have sharp claws. The cubs’ father is Rojo, a 7-year-old Tiger that has lived at the Topeka Zoo since 2008 after being born at the San Diego Zoo. Male Tigers live alone in the wild so the cubs will have no interaction with their father. Fewer than 400 Sumatran Tigers exist today. The WWF lists them as “Critically Endangered” due to Deforestation & Poaching in their native Indonesia. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3767897
84) New!! Pet.: Act Now - Wild Tigers are Facing Extinction! http://theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ars/petition/TigerTrade// Loopholes in current regulations are fueling the Illegal Tiger Trade & contributing to Tiger extinction. Take action! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3767010
Crime Chiefs agree to get tough on Illegal Tiger Trade
Feb. 2012 Crime Chiefs from Countries with populations of wild Tigers agreed to work together to combat the Illegal Trade in the Big Cats. Heads of police and customs from 13 Nations agreed to tighten controls & improve cross-border co-operation at a two-day meeting in Bangkok. Smuggling of Tiger parts is one of the main threats facing the planet's remaining big cats. Only about 4,000 Tigers are estimated to remain in the wild!!
Scientific name: Panthera tigris
- Only 6 Subspecies remain: Amur; Northern Indochinese; Malayan; Sumatran; Bengal & South China.
- 3 Subspecies are now extinct: Bali; Javan & Caspian!!
- Tigers' historical range once spread across Asia: from Turkey to the far east of Russia;
- Over the past century Tigers lost 93% of their historical range!Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3102445
Photos: Tigers in Crisis
In just over 100 years, we have lost 97 % of the world's Wild Tigers. Hundreds of thousands of Tigers once roamed the lands of Asia, but today, their numbers have fallen to just 3,200.
Pictured above is Seatao, one of the male tigers living at John Varty's Tiger Canyons. Located in South Africa, Tiger Canyons is an unlikely habitat for modern Tigers, who are strictly an Asian species. But, while his methods can be controversial, Varty has a noble ambition: to foster a new population of Wild Tigers.
Photos, Videos: The Wildlife Conservation Society
…of this remnant population, just 1,000 are breeding females—individuals that hold the Lindsey http://www.care2.com/news/member/145521001/3043881
The Endangered Sumatran Tigers:
Location: Live only on the island of Sumatra, Indonesia;
Habitat: live in the Rainforest;
Number: are on the brink of EXTINCTION: There are about 300 Sumatran Tigers remaining in the wild; Their number is constantly decreasing as people continue to kill them for their skin and bones, and to destroy their Habitat.
Size: Are about half the mass of a Bengal or Siberian Tiger, with adult males weighing 250 pounds and females 180 pounds; Grow to a length of about eight feet, including the tail;
Feed on sambar (a species of deer), wild pigs, and smaller prey.
Video: Topeka Zoo's Sumatran Tiger About To Give Birth http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Topeka-Zoo-Sumatran-Tiger-About-To-Give-Bith-257546151.html Keepers at the Topeka Zoo are anxiously awaiting the arrival of Sumatran tiger cub triplets, who will be born any day now. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3766479
83) New!! Pet.: Save Sumatran Tigers from Extinction http://therainforestsite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/trs/petition/SumatranTigers/ Tell Indonesian leaders to stop poachers & clearance of Tigers' Habitat! Indonesia's Sumatran Tiger could be the 1st large predator to become extinct this century, unless Poaching for body parts & Illegal Logging in the area are stopped. Today, the total population of Sumatran Tigers left in the wild is estimated to be fewer than 400!! (some say 250, michela). Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3765399
A pair of Sumatran Tigers, Frankfurt Zoo, Germany
News: Killer of ’100 Tigers’ Caught …Reported the arrest of 2 Sumatran poachers. One of them, a 57year old man, said he has killed 100 wild Sumatran Tigers over the last 30 years. The population of Sumatran Tigers in the wild is estimated to be only 300. These remaining animals are important: “As a Critically Endangered Species loss of even 1 of these animals can impact on the survival of the Species.”
The Sumatran Tiger is the only Subspecies left in the Indonesian islands, i.e.: on Earth!!!
Bali Tiger is believed to have been shot in 1937 = EXTINCT in 1937!!
Javan Tiger was probably killed in 1984 = EXTINCT in 1984!!
A Roaring Victory: Sumatran Tiger Wins 'Rare & Ready to Be Saved' Bracket Game Thanks to your votes, the big cat went all the way to the finals and came out on top. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3760770
Kavi (top), a male Sumatran Tiger, & female Damai play in their enclosure at the Smithsonian's Nat.l Zoo, Washington, DC. Balmy temperatures are making for a great 1st day of spring
82) New!! Pet.: Save Rainforest, Save Sumatran Tigers http://www.thepetitionsite.com/726/722/256/save-rainforest-save-sumatran-tigers/ We, 3rd grade students in the ELCO School District, in Myerstown, PA, petition General Mills to use Palm Oil from sustainable sources in your products. We really like Cheerios & other products produced by your company but we are very concerned about the Sumatran Tiger, on the Endangered Species list. There might be only 400 of them left!! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3753898
Triplet Sumatran Tiger cubs, which were born at London Zoo to 5-year-old Sumatran Tigress Melati following a 106-day pregnancy
Three Adorable Sumatran Tiger Cubs Born at ZSL London Zoo! Video The fluffy cubs were born to 5-year-old Sumatran Tigress Melati on Feb.3 after a 106-day pregnancy. The Species is amongst the world's rarest. The cubs arrived in the early hours, & all were born within an hour. The 1st cub was born at 12.28am, the 2nd at 12.59am & the 3rd made its entrance into the world at 1.18am. The entire birth process was monitored using remote camera technology. The zoo has yet to establish the sex of the cubs. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3751846
81) New!! Pet.: MORE PROTECTION FOR THE LAST WILD TIGERS OF SUMATRA http://www.thepetitionsite.com/525/692/764/more-protection-for-the-last-wild-tigers-of-sumatra/ How can we let destroying such irreplaceable unique natural heritage? Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3748197
80) New!! Pet.: Save Critically Endangered Sumatran Tigers http://forcechange.com/105709/save-critically-endangered-sumatran-tigers/#gf_15 One of the smallest Tiger Subspecies in the world, the Sumatran Tiger is found only on the Indonesian island of Sumatra. Although Sumatran Tigers are technically protected by local anti-Poaching laws, Habitat Loss & Illegal Poaching have led to a serious decline in the Tigers’ already perilously low population. Today, fewer than 400 Tigers inhabit the island of Sumatra. Immediate protection of the Sumatran Tiger is necessary to save this majestic animal. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3725363; Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3725454
79) New!! Pet.: WALMART and KMART “Don’t sell Rainforest Destruction -- don’t sell Paseo tissue products!” http://www.thepetitionsite.com/546/293/703/walmart-and-kmart-dont-sell-rainforest-destruction-dont-sell-paseo-tissue-products/ Walk into major U.S. retail stores & you may find a secret hiding on the shelves: Rainforest Destruction. Asia Pulp&Paper (APP) hopes you’ll never notice!! The company - responsible for driving massive Rainforest Destruction in Indonesia - has begun stocking the shelves of U.S. stores with their own line of toilet paper & tissue products marketed under the brand name ‘Paseo’. Paseo products have no recycled content: they're made of 100% virgin tree fiber. Worse, those trees come from pulpwood plantations that are eating into Indonesia's Rainforests & destroying the last Sumatran Tiger Habitat. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3703119
77) New!! Pet.: Protect the Forest! Protect Paradise! http://www.greenpeace.org/seasia/id/aksi-kamu/Protect-Paradise/ The current home of the last Sumatran Tigers is being destroyed to make our favorite products. Join thousands of people to jointly Protect the Forest & Protect Paradise! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3688766
76) New!! Pet.: Stop Cruelty to Endangered Tiger http://www.thepetitionsite.com/757/849/200/stop-cruelty-to-endangered-tiger/?taf_id=9366490&cid=fb_na A video has surfaced which shows a docile, chained, & possibly drugged, endangered tiger being bashed in the head & neck with a stick, & forced to pose for photographs with a Chinese Family. The tiger is clearly confused & distressed.We ask CITES to investigate this zoo & help to save Endangered Tigers from cruelty by notifying proper authorities. Source:Sauwah t.
75) New!! Pet.: Governments all over the world: Conserve Tigers and Save their Habitat http://www.change.org/petitions/governments-all-over-the-world-conserve-tigers-and-save-their-habitat 100 yrs ago: over 100,000 Tigers Today: as few as 3,200 left! Tigers once roamed the earth freely throughout Asia in the 1900s. Of the 9 subspecies of Tigers; P.t.tigris; p.t.altaica; p.t. amoyensis; p.t.corbetti; p.t.sumatrae; p.t.jacksonii; the p.t. sondaica, p.t. virgata and p.t. Balica are already extinct. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3680944
News: Dim hope for the Sumatran Tiger http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/dim-hope-for-the-sumatran-tiger/article5426482.ece Tigers once roamed across Sumatra, now are effectively marooned on a few disconnected Nat.l parks & on the verge of disappearing. Indonesia might conjure up idyllic images of families of Orangutans gambolling amidst lush tropical Rainforest, but the reality is starkly different. Aerial photos of the once-densely forested islands of Sumatra & Borneo reveal large tracts of bald, scarred earth, & investigations by organisations like Greenpeace unearth Orangutan graveyards where the skulls & remains of these Apes lie scattered like debris. Every one of the country’s once abundant Tigers, Rhinoceros, Elephants & Orangutans are classified as Critically Endangered. The main cause of the dramatic whittling down of these animals is not poaching as much as the ravaging of their Habitat - Indonesia’s forests - by Mining, PulpPaper industries, & most specially, by the PalmOil industry. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3682613
Two Sumatran Tiger cubs, a male & a female play on a set of stairs
74) Pet.: Save Sumatran Tigers from Extinction http://forcechange.com/92473/save-sumatran-tigers-from-extinction/#gf_15 Protect the Sumatran Tiger habitat in the Bukit Tigaphuluh Forest from being destroyed by Pulp & Paper Cos. The WWF has been observing the unprotected Bukit Tigaphuluh forest with video surveillance. Recently, they found 12 Tigers who have made their home outside of the protected Park. The Sumatran Tiger Trust: this area “is being degraded at a rapid rate, not merely by licensed Logging Cos., but also by numerous illegal loggers”. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3675906. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3682664
73) New!! Pet. BE THE EYES OF THE TIGER! http://www.greenpeace.org/usa/tiger-challenge/ Sign up to make sure your brand is Tiger-friendly! Greenpeace has documented Forest Destruction linked to Wilmar Int.l, the world’s largest Palm Oil trader. If Companies do not implement a No Deforestation policy, then the companies in this Tiger Challenge cannot guarantee their products are not linked to Forest destruction.
News: Rare Sumatran Tiger winched into Dudley Zoo enclosure http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24948794 A rare Sumatran Tiger has been lifted by crane into his new home at Dudley Zoo. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3672578
News: 97% of the World's Tiger Population Lost in Just One Century http://news.softpedia.com/news/Watch-97-of-the-World-s-Tiger-Population-Lost-in-Just-One-Century-399766.shtml
Video: Help Us Save Tigers and Other Species http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P22mSFgozhY The Video is intended to raise awareness of the dangers that the world's remaining Tiger population faces. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3672365
News:Tiger, Elephant Parts Found in Thai Slaughterhouse Bust
Thai navy officers & forestry officials display dead Tigers & Leopards seized after a raid on an illegal wildlife trade on the bank of Mekong river in That Phanom, NE Thailand
Global Trade in Endangered Species & Wildlife is worth about $ 10 billion a year!! One of the most lucrative criminal enterprises, along with drug, weapons & people trafficking. The penalties, however, pale in comparison to those handed out to drug traffickers. “An ounce of Rhinoceros horn sells for one-&-a-half times the price of an ounce of gold, which is at record highs’’ “If the penalties for trafficking an ounce of Rhino horn were the same as for an ounce of cocaine, it might make a difference, but the profits are still so huge that it will attract criminal networks.’’ The Tiger & other animal parts were destined for China, the largest consumer of Endangered Species. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3097906
The World population of Big Cats has been devastated they could face EXTINCTION!!!!
72) New!! Pet.: Commend World Bank for Saving Tigers The World Bank’s Global Tiger Initiative aims to double the world’s population of wild tigers – currently around 3,200 – by 2022, bringing together members of Gov.t, private, & scientific groups across the 13 Tiger range countries under the common goal of saving wild tigers from extinction. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3671213
Photo: Sumatran Tiger shows off its massive barbed tongue http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/stories/sumatran-tiger-shows-off-its-massive-barbed-tongue-photo A Sumatran Tiger sticks its tongue out at visitors, at the zoo in Frankfurt, Germany. Similar to the sandpaper tongue of a domestic house cat, the coarse tongue of a Tiger is equipped with sharp barbs that allow it to groom & lick the fur off its prey. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3670178
News: Critically Endangered Species in Sumatra on the road to extinction http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/nov/09/conservation-wildlife Some of the world's most vulnerable creatures could be wiped out if a highway through the Haparan Rainforest is approved. Sumatran Tiger population: as few as 12-20 individuals, the only surviving member of a group of Tigers, that included the extinct Bali & Javan Tigers. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3669867
The Sumatran Tiger http://worldwildlife.org/species/sumatran-tiger The last of Indonesia’s Tigers, now less than 400, are holding on for survival in the remaining patches of Forests on the island of Sumatra. Deforestation & Poaching mean this noble creature could end up like its extinct Bali&Java relatives.
71) New!! Pet.: Stand with Southeast Asia http://www.greenpeace.org/seasia/get-involved/save-our-forests/ Palm Oil alone was responsible for 15% of the loss of Tiger habitat, & the vast majority of the forest cleared in identified Oil Palm concessions in Sumatra during 2009–2011 was Tiger Habitat. Protect our Forests! The Sumatran Tiger represents all that can be lost if industry keeps destroying Rainforests to produce global commodities. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3668601
59) Pet.: Keep the 400 Remaining Sumatran Tigers Alive http://takeaction.takepart.com/actions/keep-400-remaining-sumatran-tigers-safe// Sumatran Tigers are the smallest Tiger Subspecies. Even though they're protected by anti-poaching laws, these Tigers' Nos. are declining due to habitat loss & illegal poaching. Less than 400 left in the world. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3640071 & Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3664611
A Critically Endangered Sumatran Tiger, Ragunan Zoo, Jakarta, Indonesia. In the Greenpeace report Licence to Kill released on Oct. 22, Greenpeace said that Singapore-based Wilmar, the world's biggest Palm Oil processor, was sourcing its oil from illegally cleared land & destroying the Habitat of Critically Endangered Sumatran Tigers. The Palm Oil sector is the largest driver of Deforestation in Indonesia, home to around 10% of the world's tropical Forest, where illegal logging is rampant. About 400 Sumatran Tigers are left in the wild
70) New!! Pet.: Ban the Import and Export of Tiger Bone Wine http://www.thepetitionsite.com/549/207/509/ban-the-import-and-export-of-tiger-bone-wine/ China is allowing the use of the bones of captive-bred tigers to be used as a tonic wine, even though the practice has been illegal since 1993. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3662012
69) New!! Pet.: Save the Malayan Tiger from Extinction http://www.thepetitionsite.com/801/096/358/save-the-malayan-tiger-from-extinction/ The Malayan Tiger is a sub-species of tiger that are found only on the Malay Peninsula & in the southern Thailand. Until 2004, they were classified as the Indochinese tiger until DNA testing showed it to be a separate Subspecies. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3661390
News: Sumatran Tigers Lose Out to Indonesian Plantation Expansion http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2013/10/22/sumatran-tigers-lose-out-to-indonesian-palm-oil-expansion/ JAKARTA, Indonesia: As the fortunes of PalmOil & Timber plantations grow in Indonesia, prospects are dimming for the few remaining survivors of an Endangered Species of Tiger in the country’s west. Col N. http://www.care2.com/news/member/550673189/3661196
Forest cleared for PalmOil plantations, Jambi Prov., Sumatra, Indonesia, Oct.20, 2013. Greenpeace said that several plantation Cos. were clearing land & destroying the habitat of Critically Endangered Sumatran Tigers
News: London zoo's newborn Sumatran Tiger cub dies http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/oct/15/london-zoo-tiger-cub Postmortem shows the cub drowned in the enclosure's pool. The cub, not yet named or sexed as it was so young, was born 2 weeks ago.
Video: Tiger cub born at London zoo http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2013/oct/02/tiger-cub-born-london-zoo-video The moment a Tiger gives birth to London zoo's 1st Tiger cub in 17 yrs is captured by hidden cameras. The mother, Sumatran Tiger Melati, had been pregnant for approximately 105 days before the 6-minute labour. The gender of the cub will be known in Nov., when zookeepers will enter the enclosure. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3657715
68) New!! Pet.: Tell Congress to protect 3,200 Tigers http://www.change.org/petitions/tell-congress-to-protect-3-200-tigers The Save Vanishing Species stamp has already raised a remarkable $1.58 million for projects that protect Tigers such as cracking down on poachers & protecting parks. But if Congress doesn't renew the stamp, this critical funding will disappear. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3656581
67) New!! Pet.: Keep the 400 Remaining Sumatran Tigers Alive http://takeaction.takepart.com/actions/keep-400-remaining-sumatran-tigers-safe/ Sumatran Tigers are the smallest Tiger subspecies. Even though they’re protected by anti-poaching laws, these Tigers' numbers are declining due to habitat loss & illegal poaching—less than 400 remain in the world today. These tigers, only found on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, are threatened by illegal Palm Oil growers, Paper Cos. & Illegal Poaching. They have lost much of their primary habitat in “Thirty Hills” near Bukit Tigapuluh, & nearly 25,868 sq. miles of forest between 1985 & 1997. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3652708
66) New!! Pet.: Save Sumatran Tigers from Extinction http://therainforestsite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/trs/petition/SumatranTigers Tell Indonesian leaders to stop poachers & clearance of Tigers' Habitat. Urge the Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam (Nature Conservancy Agency) to implement laws to ban trade of Tiger parts & to stop widespread logging of their Habitat by multinational Paper Companies. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3655007
65) New!! Pet.: United Nations: Create an International Law to Stop Tiger Poaching http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/united-nations-create-an-international-law-to-stop-tiger-poaching-2 The Tiger population is rapidly decreasing due to Tiger Poaching, We NEED To Stop This NOW! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3648985
64) New!! Pet.: Save Malayan Tiger by Stopping Logging http://forcechange.com/66457/save-malayan-tiger-by-stopping-logging/#.UkWLsHZ1RME.care2 The Malayan Tiger, a sub-species of Tiger found only in the Malay Peninsula & the S. part of Thailand, is in danger of extinction. Until 2004, this was classified the same as the Indochinese Tiger until tests showed it to be a separate subspecies. There are only ab. 500!! The largest continuous forest area in Peninsular Malaysia, Belum-Temengor, is the Tiger’s main habitat, but the forest is at risk of a devastating amount of Deforestation from Logging. Since the construction of the East-West Highway, that provided easier access for timber extraction & has been encouraging Deforestation. There are also plans to convert the natural Forest along the East-West Highway to plantation forests. Malasya put an end to Logging Temengor Rainforest & help save the Malayan Tiger from extinction by providing &ldquorotected, unfragmented habitat!.” This Rainforest is one of the last safe places for the Malayan Tiger, & we must strive to keep this struggling species alive. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3648567
News: Sales of Siberian Tiger Parts on Russia's Internet Show Poaching Remains a Problem http://motherboard.vice.com/blog/sales-of-siberian-tiger-parts-on-russias-internet-show-poaching-remains-a-problem Deep in Russia's Far East lives the Amur Tiger, the largest cat in the world. Also known as the Siberian Tiger for the feline's home range, the Tigers are magnificent creatures that can top out at nearly 700 pounds, with thick coats designed to protect against harsh winters. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3648518
News: In the Himalayas, Nepali villagers hunt down poachers to help save the Tiger http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2013/jul/28/tigers-extinct-endangered-patrol-nepal Criminal gangs are hunting the big cats to sell their organs & bones to the Chinese medicine industry. But an alliance between a western charity & local Nepalis is turning the tables, producing a small but encouraging rise in Tiger numbers. Source: Alicia M.
Video: Draw My Life - Tiger Edition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUEDchirfng Tony the Tiger explains to viewers what life is like for captive bred Tigers & other big cats in the USA. There are only around 3000 Tigers left in the wild but there is thought to be around 5000 - 10,000 privately owned Tigers, Lions, Leopards & more in America! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3648523
63) New!! Pet.: Stop Pushing Sumatran Tigers Toward Extinction http://forcechange.com/68351/stop-pushing-sumatran-tigers-toward-extinction/#.Uj2aIQBjopk.care2 In Sumatra, Indonesia, a subspecies of Tigers, the Sumatran Tiger is quickly becoming extinct. There are only 400 individuals currently alive, & reports show that human beings are the direct cause of the declining No. The endangered Sumatran Tiger is nearing extinction because of various human activity, incl. Poaching & Deforestation. This type of treatment by the people towards these precious & innocent animals has to be stopped!!. The Sumatran Tiger has been endangered for quite a while now, they are rapidly headed near ultimate extinction. The actions of the Indonesian people, incl. deforestation of the tiger’s natural environment & the killing of these rare animals, are all contributing to the decline in the total No. of tigers. Indonesia has laws to protect this endangered species, but unfortunately, these laws are not being enforced as they should be. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3645564
62) New!! Pet.: Tell China to Close Tiger Farms http://www.thepetitionsite.com/835/122/266/tell-china-to-close-tiger-farms/ The farming of Tigers in "battery hen" like conditions is cruel & barbaric. This "farming" is acting as a smokescreen for the continued shooting, snaring & poisoning of the last 3,200 wild Tigers on Earth, because it increases the demand for Tiger body parts. The Tiger could be extinct within just a few years. We need China to implement a total ban on all trade in any Tiger parts from any source. Stop Tiger farming & close Tiger farms. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3646983
New!! Action: Take action with Maybank Wild Tiger Run http://www.nst.com.my/streets/central/take-action-with-maybank-wild-tiger-run-1.360128 Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Conserv. Alliance for Tigers (Mycat) is organising the inaugural Maybank Wild Tiger Run which will be held at Bukit Jalil Park on Nov 9. The programme aims to raise awareness on the plight of the Malayan Tigers & to raise funds for conservation efforts by Mycat. Mycat is an alliance of non-Gov.tal organisations comprising the Malaysian Nature Society (MN, Traffic SE Asia, Wildlife Conserv. Society-Malaysia Programme & WWF-Malaysia. The run will consist of a 10km competitive run & a 3km fun run. 5 categories for the 10km run (men's open, men's junior veteran, men's senior veteran, women's open & women's veteran). The winners for 1st to 5th place will receive cash prizes. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3645957
News: National Save a Tiger Month Highlights Conservation Efforts http://www.catchannel.com/news/2008/09/13/save-a-tiger-month.aspx September, designated as Nat.l Save a Tiger Month, serves as a reminder that the largest cat in the world is struggling for survival, with 4,000 Tigers left in the wild. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3645960
61) New!! Pet.: Stop Using Tiger Parts in Chinese Medicine http://forcechange.com/65389/stop-using-tiger-parts-in-chinese-medicine/#.UjXPGoz63yo.care2 Thanks to the fur trade, the S. China Tiger is critically endangered. That means the S. China Tiger is suspected by the Int.l Union for Conservation of Nature, IUCN, to only exist in captivity. 2 other species of tiger that inhabit China, incl. the Siberian & the Bengal tigers, are also on China’s endangered species list. One way to help to the tigers is to eliminate their demand—in other words, ban Tiger Soup. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3642521
33) Action: http://bigcatrescue.org/get-involved/ink
TIGERS:+Click to Feed +Action!! Summary Petitions List:
60) New!! Pet.: Renew the Save Vanishing Species Stamp https://secure3.convio.net/wcs/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=073AFE43966DED1AB992231C7977A59D.app364a?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=597&autologin=true The Save Vanishing Species stamp was created to support critical global conservation efforts for Endangered Species. For just 10 cents more than a regular First Class Mail Stamp, it has already delivered $ 2.33 million to save Tigers, Elephants, Gorillas, & other Endangered Species without any burden on the U.S. taxpayer. However, this simple & significant source of funding will expire at the end of September, putting vital conservation resources at risk. Don't let the Save Vanishing Species stamp go away – ask the Postmaster General to give it his stamp of approval. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3642179
58) New!! Pet.: Tell Bank of America, No Forest Destruction for Coal http://act.ran.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=8493 Bank of America is turning a profit from 1 of the most abusive Cos. in the world: Coal India Ltd, the biggest Coal Miner in the world that has forcibly displaced Forest communities, destroyed critical Tiger Habitat & used Child Labor. For coal, the dirtiest energy source in the world. Coal India’s abuses are public knowledge. The greedy Bank of America hoped that helping to finance its work would go unnoticed. If we demonstrate an immediate public backlash, Bank of America will rethink their decision. Tell them to cut ties with Coal India today! Source: Sharon W.
1. 2. Melati a female Sumatran Tiger licks her lips after eating a snack of a dead rabbit hidden in a papier mache easter egg. The London Zoo is hoping the Indonesian inspired enclosure with climbing trees, a pool for swimming & 2,500sq. metres to roam will encourage the 2 Tigers to breed.
3. Jae Jae, a male Sumatran Tiger scratches a tree, as the public watch from behind glass, London Zoo
1. A male Sumatran Tiger cub, one of a pair of Sumatran Tiger cubs born on Aug. 5, 2013, Smithsonian's Nat.l Zoo in Washington
2. One year old Tigers play in a small pond, Bhubaneswar Zoo, India
56) New!! Pet.: Speak Up for Big Cats! http://www.change.org/petitions/speak-up-for-big-cats Did you know that there are over 20,000 captive Big Cats in the USA? Unfortunately, the vast majority of these cats are exotic pets living in small houses & backyards. Life in captivity puts emotional stress on the animals. Additionally, all big cats are very powerful & retain their wild instincts even if they are born in captivity, making them very dangerous to the community. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3624519
A 2-month-old Sumatran Tiger cub plays on the grass at the San Francisco Zoo, CA
2 Sumatran Tiger cubs were born on Aug. 5 at the Nat.l Zoo in Washington DC
55) New!! Pet.: United Nations: Stop poachers, & protect the Tigers & their Habitats http://www.change.org/petitions/united-nations-stop-poachers-and-protect-the-tigers-and-their-habitats 97% of the tiger population has been lost in just over a century. If this doesn't stop, tigers could become extinct, & tigers aren't just a beautiful animal to admire. They also help maintain a healthy ecosystem. Saving the tigers means you are also saving the people. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3624116
54) New!! Pet.: Tigers: Conserve Tigers & prevent them from becoming extinct http://www.change.org/petitions/tigers-conserve-tigers-and-prevent-them-from-becoming-extinct Have you ever seen a Tiger? If you have you're lucky because they might be extinct by the time your grandchildren are born. Tigers are strong, beautiful, majestic, & (sadly) Critically Endangered. There used to be 8 Subspecies of Tigers, now there are only 5 Subspecies. The Tiger's population has decreased by 97% since the early 1900s. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3624899
53) New!! Pet.: Panthera's Remove a Snare Petition http://www.change.org/petitions/panthera-s-remove-a-snare-petition Wire snares made from barbed wire, tension cables, or bicycle brake wire, can cost less than one $ to make, but they are deadly for Big Cats. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3625358
52) New!! Pet.: Governments all over the world: Conserve Tigers & Save their Habitat http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/governments-all-over-the-world-conserve-tigers-and-save-their-habitat 100 years ago=over 100,000 Tigers in the wild; Today=as few as 3,200!!! The Tigers once roamed the earth freely throughout Asia in the 1900s. Of the 9 Subspecies of Tigers are already extinct. The healthy presence of Tiger population indicates healthy forests. The presence of Tigers helps maintain the population of herbivores like Deers, Wild Buffaloes, Antelopes & Omnivores like Boars in the jungle. Nature is thus balanced with the right proportion of predators for prey. By taking away one important predator, prey will increase at the cost of habitat which finally impacts mankind. Tiger is an umbrella species. It’s conservation automatically ensures the conservation of a large number of flora & fauna & entire ecosystems. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3625360
51) New!! Pet.: Help to Save the Tiger from Extinction http://www.change.org/petitions/help-to-save-the-tiger-from-extinction The U.S. Dept. of State have a strong relationship with India. If the Indian Gov.t. agrees to further support the Tiger, it would be a big step in conservation efforts. If the tiger goes extinct it will disrupt the whole ecosystem they live in. The populations of the animals that the tigers normally eat would send the animals to extinction killing themselves in the process. This creates an endless cycle of death & destruction ultimately destroying the forest. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3622845
50) New!! Pet.: Stop the Mae Wong dam from destroying prime Tiger Habitat http://www.change.org/petitions/her-excellency-yingluck-shinawatra-prime-minister-of-thailand-stop-the-mae-wong-dam-from-destroying-prime-tiger-habitat Save Mae Wong Nat.l Park in Thailand. Mae Wong NP is part of the Western Forest Complex of protected areas, which is an internationally important object lesson in how to conserve & restore large forest ecosystems. Please take time to look at this appeal & support the petition opposing this destructive development. Cher C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3622216
49) New!! Pet.: Save Sumatran Tigers from Extinction http://theanimalrescuesite.greatergood.com/clickToGive/ars/petition/SumatranTigers Tell Indonesian leaders to stop poachers & clearance of Tigers' Habitat. Indonesia's Sumatran tiger could be the 1st large predator to become extinct this century, unless poaching for body parts & illegal logging in the area are stopped. The total population of Sumatran Tigers left in the wild is estim. fewer than 400. Urge the Balai Konservasi Sumber Daya Alam (Nature Conservancy Agency) to implement laws to ban trade of tiger parts & to stop widespread logging of their Habitat by Multinational Paper Companies. Cher C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3622210
News & Video: Breaking: Sumatran Tiger Cubs Born at the National Zoo http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/aroundthemall/2013/08/breaking-sumatran-tiger-cubs-born-at-the-zoo/ The WWF reports that there are fewer than 400 Sumatran Tigers in the wild: in the Indonesian island of Sumatra, where their numbers were once so numerous that early 20th-century Dutch Colonists complained of the animals boldly intruding into their estates. Sumatran Tigers are the smallest of the 9 Tiger Subspecies, 3 of which are already extinct. 50% of Sumatra’s forest was lost over the past 25 yrs, this combined with poaching continue to threaten the Species as a whole. Tigers have a gestation period of 100 to 112 days, & typically deliver 2 to 3 two-pound cubs, who nurse until they are 6 months old. Over the next 18 months the cubs gradually step up to independence, & at about 2 years of age they head out alone to establish their own territory. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3623416
These are the 1st Tiger cubs born at the Zoo since 2006
News: Cracking down on the Illegal Tiger Trade The Illegal Trade in Tigers is one of the most high profile threats to face these majestic big cats, yet it remains one of the most difficult to tackle.
Wildlife criminals control an organized Illegal Trade network which spans countries and continents, with Tigers being unlawfully killed or poached because of the high value that their fur and body parts fetch on the black market.
Tiger declines Over the past century, Tigers have lost more than 93% of their historical range, and population numbers have tumbled.
3 subspecies of Tiger: the Bali, Javan & Caspian tiger are Extinct, and only 6 Subspecies of remain in the wild today.
News: Sumatran Tiger Given a Fighting Chance by Global Initiative
The Sumatran Tiger, the smallest of the 5 remaining Tiger Subspecies in the world, is also the most threatened.
Categorized as Critically Endangered, it is just a step away from being EXTINCT in the wild. It is the only Tiger left that is endemic to Indonesia. The 2 other Indonesia’s Subspecies,
the Javan Tiger and the Balinese Tiger,
were driven to EXTINCTION in the 1930s and 1980s.
A Sumatran Tiger roams around an enclosure at Jakarta’s Ragunan Zoo
Indonesia is set to get Rp 300 billion ($33.3 million) to double its wild Tiger population by 2022, as part of a global initiative to bring the iconic Species back from the brink of extinction. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3077492
TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE AND TIGERS - For more than 1,000 years the use of tiger parts has been included in the traditional Chinese medicine regimen. Because of the tiger's strength and mythical power, the Chinese culture believes that the tiger has medicinal qualities, which helps treat chronic ailments, cure disease and replenish the body's essential energy. Endangered tiger parts such as bones, eyes, whiskers and teeth are used to treat ailments and disease ranging from insomnia and malaria, to meningitis and bad skin. Chinese texts state that the active ingredients in tiger bone; calcium and protein, which help promote healing, have anti-inflammatory properties. Western medical experts tend to discount all claims of any curative power in tiger bone, as they do the rhinoceros horn, another popular Chinese medicine. And, it is well known that aspirin contains similar properties and produces the many of the same results as tiger prescriptions in patients. Despite this, in Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam and in Chinatowns across Europe and North America, Chinese medicine stores do a steady trade in tiger wines, powder, tiger balms and tiger pills. Many Asian communities believe that tiger bone, in powdered form or prepared as, "tiger wine," soothes rheumatic pain and cures ulcers, malaria and burns. These derivatives make international trade and consumption possible in the wake of the, Convention on the International Trade in Endangered Species (CITE treaty because they are not easily recognizable as tiger parts. In recent years there has also been a resurgence of interest in traditional values and cures derived from nature in Chinese culture. Thus, the use of endangered tiger parts for medicinal properties is seen as a status symbol, a way to retain customs amid rapid change and as an alternative to the shortcomings of western medicine. The Chinese culture believes that nearly all parts of the tiger can be used to derive some medicinal cure for any number of ailments. Here are some examples of how tiger parts and their derivatives are used in traditional Chinese medicine and causing the tiger to be a critically endangered species.
News: Javan Tiger declared extinct – but is it? Indonesia was blessed with 3 Sub Species of Tigers – the Javan , Bali & Sumatran - sadly only the Sumatran Tiger is now officially deemed to be in existence. The Bali Tiger was declared extinct in 1950. The Javan Tiger was thought to have gone extinct in the mid 1970′s & officially declared extinct in 1998. But has it really gone extinct? Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3383306
Nov. 25, 2011 More than 20 participants from diverse areas – incl. advertising, public health, & wildlife trade – met at a workshop in Hong Kong to discuss strategies for reducing the demand for products made from Endangered Species. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3029908
Nov 2011: The conservation community mourns as the EXTINCTION of the Javan Rhino subspecies (Rhinoceros sondaicus annamiticus) was confirmed!!!!!!!!!!!
ews: First ever survey shows Sumatran Tiger hanging on as Forests continue to vanish The first-ever Sumatran-wide survey of the island's top predator, the Sumatran Tiger (Panthera Tigris Sumatrae), proves that the great cat is holding on even as forests continue to vanish. The study, carried out by eight NGOs and the Indonesian government, shows that the Tiger is still present in 70 % of the Forests surveyed, providing hope for the long-term survival of the Subspecies if remaining Forests are protected. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3014782
After Clearing the Forest, the Palm Oil Companies Set on fire what remains of the Cleared Forest, to make way for Palm Oil Plantations:
Palm Oil Plantations replacing Rainforest NO AnimalsNor Biodiversity anymore!!!
News: Endangered Tiger with arrow wounds rescued from trap in Indonesia The Endangered Sumatran Tiger found with serious arrow wounds all over its body was rescued from a wire trap in protected Indonesian jungle. The 5year-old male Tiger was found in Bengkulu province on island of Sumatra with 9 arrow wounds estimated to be four days old.
They use steel wire to trap it by the leg so it doesn’t destroy its body. These traps are designed for Tigers, not the wild boars that the community here hunt. There are fewer than 400 Sumatran Tigers left and the animals are increasingly Thai customs officials seized 4 boxes of smuggled Tiger skins & bones worth $60,000 believed to be en route from Indonesia to China. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3066220
News: Are Tigers Endangered?
…on Earth, Tiger numbers: down from 50,000 to 3,000.
Only about 1,200 wild female Tigers left to furthering the Species.
Decrease due to MEN: Poaching, Poisoning, Forcing them away from their homes, Selling Tiger skins & body parts for Chinese medicines. In SE Asia Sumatran Tigers are only 300 due to PalmOil & Logging…
48) New!! Pet.: Ban Tiger Killing Pesticide http://forcechange.com/70221/ban-tiger-killing-pesticide/#gf_1 Recently, poachers in India have been using a cheap chemical known as Carbofuran as a pesticide to kill tigers. Poachers use animal carcasses tainted with the chemical as bait for the tigers. It is believed that the tigers die within an hour of eating the contaminated carcass. The poachers then sell the highly profitable tiger remains, incl. the skins, teeth, bones, & claws, to Chinese & Tibetan merchants. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3621136
47) New!! Pet.: Stop Pushing Sumatran Tigers Toward Extinction http://forcechange.com/68351/stop-pushing-sumatran-tigers-toward-extinction/#.UfpX6oor1f0.care2 In Sumatra, Indonesia, a Sub-Species of Tigers called the Sumatran Tiger is quickly becoming close to extinct. There are only 400 (some say 300) individuals currently alive, & reports show that human beings are the direct cause of the declining number. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3619663
Pics: Tigers in the Forest Picture Gallery http://www.tigersintheforest.co.uk/image_category.html All tiger & most other wildlife photos in this Gallery are taken within the animals natural Habitat & NOT in a captive environment. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3619289
News: Ironic conservation: APP touts Tiger relocation after allegedly destroying Tiger’s Home http://news.mongabay.com/2011/0802-hance_tiger_app.html
News: ‘Tigers’ expose Asia Pulp and Paper greenwash http://www.greenpeace.org/international/en/news/Blogs/makingwaves/tigers-expose-asia-pulp-and-paper-greenwash/blog/37065/?m=approve
Video: Endangered Sumatran Tiger dies in trap on Asia Pulp & Paper (APP) concession in Indonesia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J97PLkBahqE&feature=player_embedded
News: More or less protection for forests in Indonesia? http://www.earthtimes.org/conservation/protection-forests-indonesia/2372/ The Critically Endangered Sumatran Tiger (Panthera Tigris Sumatrae) is one of several much-loved mammals due to become extinct as their Habitat is destroyed, even within their own reserves. Illegal Logging, Pam Oil plantations & Mining surround them!! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3619083
Video: Tigers go crazy for recycled Christmas trees London Zoo: a novel way of recycling its Christmas trees: making them into toys for Tigers: the perfect "enrichment" toys for the pair of Sumatran Tigers, Lumpur & Reika. Different scents used as part of the animals' regular play time, to stimulate their natural curiosity. "Lumpur, our male SumatranTiger, is playful & immediately investigates something new, he cannot leave the Christmas tree alone!" Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3067844
News: Tiger Triplets Make Their Debut in the Bronx http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/05/tiger-triplets-make-their-debut-in-the-bronx/ Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3448673
Video: Bronx Zoo Tiger Cubs Pounce & Play http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0TokSkePO1Q#! With fewer than 3,200 remaining in the Wild, Tigers are Critically Endangered. 3 Amur Tiger cubs made their debut at Bronx Zoo. The exhibit educates millions of visitors about the plight of Wild Tigers.
Video: Triplet Sumatran Tigers at Taronga http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/tarongas-tale-of--tigress-and-her-triplets-20111025-1mh9f.html With only 300 SumatranTigers left in the wild, the 3 Sumatran Tiger 2 month-old triplet cubs made their long-awaited public debut at Sydney's Taronga Zoo.
News: We are losing the Tiger, Asia’s Great Cat http://news.mongabay.com/2011/1110-hance_sumatrantigers.html
200 years ago: - numbered in the hundreds of thousands;
- Habitat: virtually the entire Continent, from Siberia to Turkey, & Afghanistan to Bali, in an ocean of Forest.
Today: - at best, around 3,200 wild Tigers left in the entire Continent.
EXTINCT in at least 14 Countries
3 Sub-Species: Bali, Java & Central Asia: EXTINCT, LOST FOREVER!!
South China Tiger: not been recorded in the wild for over a decade.
Sumatran Tigers: only 300 – 400 left!!
- Habitat: hangs on in only 7% of the Habitat it once occupied: tiny, mostly isolated fragments in what was once an ocean of Forest.
Photos: Sumatran Tigers celebrate Valentine's Day
The Sumatran Tigers at the London Zoo received a Valentine treat of pillows scented with Calvin Klein's Obsession. Tigers are territorial creatures & these strong smells encourage their natural scent-marking behaviors by making them rub themselves against the perfumed hearts. Lots of different scents & spices, were tried: CK Obsession is their favorite & it helps encourage some romance between them!
Sumatran Tigers (Panthera tigris sumatrae) is Indonesia's last Tiger, since it already lost 2 distinct Subspecies of Tiger: the Bali & Javan. Listed as Critically Endangered, the Subspecies is imperiled by: widespread destruction of its Habitat for Pulp&Paper & PalmOil, poaching, snaring, & human-wildlife conflict. Around 300 Sumatran Tigers are estimated to survive in the wild. Indonesia: one of the highest rates of Deforestation worldwide; a satellite study last year: Sumatra lost around 9% of its Forest cover in the past 8 years
News: Endangered Tigers to Get $33 Million
Critically endangered Sumatran Tigers will have a fund of $33 million set up for a project to attempt doubling their population by 2022.
The Sumatran Tiger, the smallest of the 5 remaining Tiger Subspecies in the world, is also the most threatened. Categorized as critically endangered,
The Sumatran Tiger is found exclusively on the Indonesian island of Sumatra, the last stronghold for Tigers in Indonesia. Accelerating Deforestation and rampant Poaching across the Sumatran tiger's range mean that unless authorities enforce the law, this Subspecies will soon follow the fate of its extinct Javan and Balinese relatives.
Sumatran Tiger population Falling numbers:
-Early 20th century: Dutch colonists report that Tigers were so numerous and bold that they would enter the planters' estate house compounds;
-1978 estimate: 1,000 Sumatran Tigers;
-Today the wild Sumatran Tiger population is estimated at around 300 individuals!!! Over half the population is found in the Kerinci Seblat - Bukit Barisan Selatan landscape, which stretches from Tesso Nilo in Riau to Bukit Tigapuluh, and then from Kerinci Seblat to Bukit Barisan Selatan.
Video: Rare Sumatran Tigers Caught on Camera
Illegal logging for Paper Industry &
Forest clearing for Palm Oil plantation
46) New!! Pet. Save the Tiger: Heed its "Leave Me Alone" call http://www.change.org/en-IN/petitions/save-the-tiger-heed-its-leave-me-alone-call Caught in the crossfire of Forest Destruction & Poaching, the Tiger is fast slipping towards extinction. The tiger's slide is being mirrored by a rising tide of Climate-related problems facing every country in the world, particularly India. The voice of the Tiger says: "Leave Me Alone".
News: Burn Baby Burn: Indian Gov.t Fights Tiger Poaching With Fire http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/29/tiger-poaching-india-conservation In Mumbai, Gov.t officials & conservation groups make a hot statement. We witnessed the burning of wildlife contraband -Tiger & Leopard pelts-in a bonfire in Mumbai. The demonstration against Tiger Poaching & Illegal Wildlife Trade was organized by conservation groups & also by the Indian state of Maharashtra's Gov.t. Annamaria Rizzo http://www.care2.com/news/member/118608005/3618941
Due to Poaching & Habitat Loss, less than 2,000 wild Tigers remain in India today
45) New!! Pet.: Help Save the Tiger http://www.internatyearofthetiger.org/Electronic_petition.htm In view of the fact that the tiger in the wild is entering its Age of Extinction, & the same threat faces thousands of other plant & animal species, the Int.l Year of the Tiger Foundation & we, the undersigned, petition the United Nations. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3618069
44) New!! Pet.: Protect Endangered Tigers by Closing Loopholes that Permit Global Hunting & Trafficking http://forcechange.com/4703/protect-endangered-tigers-by-closing-loopholes-that-permit-global-hunting-and-trafficking/#.UfaNThZue4s.care2 Ask the FWS to expand protection for Endangered Tigers to save them from global hunting & trafficking. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3618058
News: Hope for Tigers Lives in Sumatra http://www.panthera.org/blog/press-release-hope-tigers-lives-sumatra In time for the 3rd annual Int.l Tiger Day, recent findings from a camera trap survey in Sumatra, Indonesia have uncovered a burgeoning Tiger stronghold on an island that typically makes headlines for its rampant loss of Forests & Wildlife. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3618580
43) New!! Pet.: Urge China to Enforce Ban on Tiger Products http://forcechange.com/58778/urge-china-to-enforce-ban-on-tiger-products/#.Ue_rpK4yROE.care2 Although China banned the trade in Tiger parts in 1993, it is still relatively easy to purchase products such as tiger wine, tiger claws, tiger tail soup, & pills made from the animals’ eyeballs, both at auctions & directly from producers. Tigers are either poached in Nepal or India or raised on a tiger farm in China where the abuses they suffer are endless. The tiger farms & parks that produce many of the tiger products are known for their gross mistreatment of their animals–tigers are whipped, forced to perform for the public, & purposely starved to death. China is the largest market for tiger products, & tiger wine is a popular remedy of the middle class. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3615451
42) New!! Pet.: Ban Pesticides Used to Kill Tigers! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/104/781/496/ban-pesticides-used-to-kill-tigers/?z00m=20598563&goback=.gde_112815_member_259735271 Indian poachers have been using the chemical Carbofuran to kill Endangered Tigers. Carbofuran is a clear, odorless substance used by potato farmers as a cheap pesticide. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3614045
News: Only 500 Tigers Left In The Wild http://www.malaysiandigest.com/news/36-local2/395031-only-500-tigers-left-in-the-wild-wwf.html According to WWF there are about 500 tigers left in the jungles now compared to 3,000 recorded in 1957. The poaching of tigers in the jungles of Malaysia for their skins, bones & meat has resulted in a drastic population decline. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3612209
Video: Tiger Conservation in Sumatra http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/tiger-conservation-in-sumatra-517351467
Video: How the Paper Industry in Indonesia is Destroying Tiger http://videos.huffingtonpost.com/how-the-paper-industry-in-indonesia-is-destroying-tiger-habitats-517240140
41) New!! Pet.: End Sumatran Tiger Rental in Indonesia http://forcechange.com/68583/end-sumatran-tiger-rental-in-indonesia/#.UdvCwf8Se1o.care2
The Indonesian Gov.t has provided certain stipulations to those who wish to rent tigers. Renters must allow Gov.t officials to monitor the welfare of the animals regularly & must provide enclosures that meet certain requirements regarding size. Furthermore, the rental fee will allegedly go toward conservation programs to further help protect Sumatran Tigers.
Monica T. http://www.care2.com/news/member/924136701/3607307
40) New!! Pet.: Save Malayan Tiger by Stopping Logging http://forcechange.com/66457/save-malayan-tiger-by-stopping-logging/
Protect the Malayan Tiger from extinction by stopping logging in the Temengor Rainforest.
39) New!! Pet.: Save the Malayan Tiger http://www.thepetitionsite.com/736/470/560/save-the-malayan-tiger/
Belum-Temengor, the largest continuous forest complex in Peninsular Malaysia, is tiger habitat, but Temengor faces considerable deforestation from logging. With the recent construction of the East-West Highway, new towns & industrial areas have developed, & the Highway provides more access for the extraction of timber from the jungles. Additionally, there are plans to convert natural forest into plantation forests along the East-West Highway.
38) New!! Pet.: Tell Indonesia- Tigers Are Not "Pet Rentals" http://www.thepetitionsite.com/611/029/347/tell-indonesia-tigers-are-not-pet-rentals/
With less than 400 critically endangered Sumatran tigers left in the wild, Indonesian officials have proposed a conservation plan which would allow wealthy citizens to have tigers as pets for a fee,- about $107,000 per pair.
There are fewer than 300 Indochinese tigers remaining in Thailand, & a new dam project threatens one of their last intact habitats. The project would destroy a national park in western Thailand- flooding 8 square miles where tigers are having a successful recovery.
The Mae Wong dam also threatens tiger natural prey species such as wild pig & sambar deer. Creating the dam will push tigers out of their habitats and into direct conflict with human beings. The Indochinese tiger is already under threat from shrinking habitat, illegal trade in tiger parts for traditional medicines and a scarcity of prey. With only 3,200 wild tigers remaining worldwide, we ask Thailand to support conservation efforts and protect critically endangered tigers & their habitat- not destroy it with the Mae Wong dam project.
Signed all the petitions that I can Michela!!!!!! Thanks a lot for your tireless work!!!
How sad re; the Formosan clouded leopard .
36) Actions: CAUSE an UPROAR for the Big Cats http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/big-cats/cause-an-uproar//
To address this critical situation, the Nat. Geographic Society & Explorers-in-Residence Dereck & Beverly Joubert, have launched the Big Cats Initiative, a comprehensive program that supports on-the-ground conservation projects, education, etc.
News: Formosan Clouded Leopard Confirmed to Be Extinct in Taiwan http://inhabitat.com/formosan-clouded-leopard-confirmed-to-be-extinct-in-taiwan/
A 13-year search for one of the smallest Big Cats in the world just ended, confirming what many feared: The Formosan Clouded Leopard is extinct in Taiwan. The more than decade-long search involved 1,500 infrared cameras, baited fur traps, & countless hrs of fieldwork by zoologists from Taiwan & the U.S. But Habitat Loss, Poaching & the Lack of prey combined to seal the fate of the beautiful Cat.
Petitions no's. 13-35 signed
2 actions not yet taken as no time to read.
Will start at beginning and sign them next week.
Glad you asked me to join as this site has very worthwhile petitions. I was actually signing
"odd" petitions just to maximise credits. I see you are very, very busy so please do not respond to this. Happy Mother's day and have a safe trip next week. Enjoy hollidaying with your lovely daughter and in-laws.....Slainte...frances
Target: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FW
Goal: Ask the FWS to expand protection for Endangered Tigers to save them from global hunting & trafficking.
1. A 7-year-old white Tiger sits with one of her cubs at Tobu Zoo in Miyashiro, near Tokyo.
2. A 3-weeks-old Tiger cub lies next to its mother as it is presented for the 1st time to the public at Frankfurt Zoo
3. A baby Monkey, a Lion cub & Tigers cubs play at the Guaipo Manchurian Tiger Park in Shenyang, China
The Indochinese Tiger is a tiger subspecies found in Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam & SW China. This Tiger is disappearing faster than any other Tiger Sub-Species with one Tiger being killed each week by poachers.
The Save the Tiger Fund-Panthera partnership unites two of the world's most influential tiger conservation organizations, combining decades of experience and a track record of success in identifying conservation priorities…Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3573870
Tiger Range Map
A Tiger cub & Lion cub play together at the Akwaaba Lodge in Rustenburg, S.Africa. They are being looked after at the zoo after they were abandoned by their mums.
At the Akwaaba Lodge there are 3 Lions, a Tiger, & a spotted Hyena, raised from birth. Bella the Tiger, 5months, is the leader of the pack, while the 3 Lions, Delano, Romeo & Maximus, also 5months. The eldest - Milika the Hyena, 6months - is the most mischievous in the motley crew.
Thank you Michela! Signed petitions 28-33 and shared!
I've heard that the massive killing not only on tigers,but all other animals are coming from priests in the past.They're lying to the peoples that was OK to eat meat.
And "Thomas von Aquin"(Priest) living in the 13th Century has said,"Animals have no souls,that their souls are die in their bodies."
And "Konstantin" (Emperor) living in the 4th Century saying about animals,"At their screams we can see,that they have fear and pain."
And the scientist will make us believe,that animals feel no pain and have feelings like we humans.
If the pope say one word,that animals have souls and animals are feeling creatures,then all the torture and hunting of this beauty creatures will stop immediately,but the pope will never saying it.
He,the pope,has said in the beginning of his career,"We must help the poor."
And happened is nothing.The only who he will help is himself and his follower.
You can DONATE to BIG CAT Rescue and help SAVE the Environment all at no cost to you ot your Organization! RECYCLE your Ink Jet cartridges, Toners, & Cell Phones!!Video: Big Cats GO GREEN! How Tigers Recycle! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-AuE7S4JuY&feature=player_embedded
Baby is saying Thank you!!!
Let's roar with Tigers!!!!!! Let's do WHATEVER is possible to save Tigers & all Wildlife for our children and grandchildren!!!!!
"So bleak is the picture...that the bulldozer and not the atomic bomb may turn out to be the most destructive invention of the 20th century!!"
- Philip Shabecoff, American environmental journalist
14 Videos about Forest Destruction!!!
See: List to the right of the page http://wn.com/Forest_Destruction
Target: U.S. and Indonesian Legislators
To Protect the Sumatran Tiger from hunting and to limit threats to its Habitat.
Source: Vicynthia T.
Poaching of Tigers to supply black market demand for their body parts like skins, bones, meat, whiskers, teeth is driving the species to Extinction.
A century ago: 100,000 Tigers (estimated) in the wild.
Today: as few as 3,200!!
Consumer demand for Tiger products is the most urgent threat to Tigers that must be stopped. If you stop buying products made from Tigers and other Endangered Species, we can help ensure a future for them.
GIVE TIGERS A BREAK AND REMEMBER: WHEN IN DOUBT, DON’T BUY! Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3032787
signed previously 2 petitions , and 2 now , shared , tweeted
1 thru 32 signed and sealed -- donation made.
Would that these petitions and pledges would result in the best for these beautiful animals! One foot after the next...
Help us raise 10,000 signatures and $10,000! It’s easy! Just sign the FREE pledge & donate to help end the captive wildlife crisis.
Every year, thousands of big cats are sold as pets. What happens to these animals is criminal. Some are abused or neglected, others are simply abandoned. All are denied their right to be wild. The Wildcat Sanctuary hopes to change all that. Our mission is simple: to provide a natural sanctuary to wild cats in need & inspire change to end the captive wildlife crisis. You can help. Keep the wild in your heart, not your home & take the pledge today at NoMoreWildPets.org!
Video: The Wildcat Sanctuary: No More Wild Pets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL8LNy6up9Q&feature=player_embedded
Too precious! Thank you!
Tigers are disappearing from the wild because of:
Habitat Loss - Humans are getting on Tigers' turf.
Poaching - Humans are illegally hunting Tigers.
Population Fragmentation - Humans are separating Tiger groups.
Had missed a few. Thank you Michela.
Touching base. These animals are powerful, aren't they? So beautiful. . Thanks, Michela, for keeping all of these topics up. Hello, all.
SIGNED!! I LOVE THESE CATS!! Thanks again, Michela
This post was modified from its original form on 09 Apr, 0:16
There are as few as 400 Sumatran Tigers left in the wild, & they’re under relentless pressure from Illegal Poaching & Forest Clearances. Unless we take action now we could lose these magnificent animals forever. Tiger skins are still in demand as luxury items in some countries, & Tiger parts coveted for their ‘medicinal’ properties.
The Tigers’ forest Habitat is vanishing too. Destruction of forests for timber, agriculture & road building has forced Tigers into ever-smaller areas, where they’re even more vulnerable to poachers. Poachers also hunt the Tiger’s prey Species, & Tigers are forced to target domestic animals, bringing them into fatal conflict with local people. Climate Change is a particular threat for Tigers too – around 70% of the Bengal Tiger’s remaining habitat in the Sunderbans mangrove forest may be lost within 50 years due to rising sea levels.
The Sumatran Tiger, the world’s smallest Tiger is now in real danger. Palm Oil Plantations, Logging, Loss of Habitat & Illegal Hunting & Poaching, have led to this beautiful creature becoming Critically Endangered. Its time to change, we have to make sacrifices to gain other things. If we sacrifice some things that we eat, save paper & recycle, these mysterious creatures could once again thrive. Its up to you now...Please sign the petition to help raise awareness.
Two other Subspecies of Indonesian Tiger have already been lost, the Bali Tiger &Javan Tiger.
With less than 400 Critally Endangered Sumatran Tigers left in the wild, Indonesian officials have proposed a conservation plan which would allow wealthy citizens to have Tigers as pets for a fee,- about $107,000 per pair.
The sustainable solution is to offer specific protection to the critically endangered Tigers: from Habitat loss & from Poaching. Tiger rental is not a good stategy as it will create a demand & Tigers will be taken from the wild more rapidly than ever.
Tell Indonesia- do not rent out the Critically Endangered Ttigers as pets- keep them in the wild & preserve their remaining natural Habitat by banning Logging; otherwise they will become extinct in the wild permanently.Tiger rental is a sign of greater problems http://www.mnn.com/local-reports/illinois/local-blog/tiger-rental-is-a-sign-of-greater-problems
Indonesia proposes renting out endangered cats as exotic pets.
News: Wild Boar hunts threaten Sumatran Tiger Habitat
"If this continues to happen, the Sumatran Tigers will fearfully become extinct earlier than expected."
The rising number of wild boar hunts in several parts of West Sumatra has threatened the habitat & population of Sumatran Tigers.
Each Sumatran Tiger consumes an average of 50 wild boars annually. "If people keep hunting the wild boars, the Sumatran Tigers will fearfully lose their food". The Tigers will migrate to other places & their population will shrink because many of them will die. The rising number of wild boar hunts may put the habitat of Sumatran Tigers on the line. The population of Sumatran Ttigers was estimated at 500 in 1994. And their numbers are believed to decline every year. The habitat of Sumatran Ttigers in West Sumatra is 77% found in all over the province. "Only in Bukittinggi city, Padangpanjang city & Mentawai islands no signs of Sumatran Tiger habitat are found". In those areas wild boar hunts are rife.
"Those involved in Tiger hunts & Illegal Trade in Tiger parts must be sentenced as severely as possible"Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3554775
Sumatra Tiger (Panthera Tigris Sumatrae)
signed #26/27/28 thanks for the news Michela
through 28 signed -- thank you Michela and everyone who works ever so diligently compiling all this relevant information in order to help our tigers.
News: One dead Tiger, one month jail http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/one-dead-tiger-one-month-jail
On Feb 7 2013, a wildlife trafficker linked to Malaysia’s largest ever seizure of Tiger parts was finally sentenced after a year-long trial. The day after, the world also learnt just what little value Malaysia places on the loss of an endangered species. Mohd Nor Shahrizam, caught red-handed with 8 tiger skins, 22 whole tiger skulls & bones, & 9 African Elephant tusks, was handed down a sentence of 60 months, of which he will serve only 24, because his sentences will run concurrently. So it’s 24 months, for 22 tigers. A little over a month in prison for each tiger that Malaysia has lost forever. It's a featherweight sentence by any calculation, but one that delivered disappointment like the blow of a sledgehammer to all those in enforcement & conservation who have toiled to keep this species from the brink.
Locals have asked authorities to shoot the predator, which is thought to have attacked 5 other people over the past month…Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3548804
A Sumatran Tiger at a zoo in Medan, N. Sumatra. Indonesia is home to about 400 Tigers, which are on the brink of extinction because of Deforestation, Poaching & Clashes with people
A Sumatran Tiger growls at a photographer near Bandar Lampung, Indonesia. The Sumatran Tiger is a rare Tiger Subspecies that inhabits the Indonesian island of Sumatra & is classified as Critically Endangered. About 440 of these animals were accounted for by the Int.l Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) in 2008
Signed the ones I hadn't - thank you Michela!
Noted and signed. Getting very frustrated with China. But one honest question: if, as is the case in several things I've read, the product is considered true medicine by perhaps a more primitive people, where does our right to take that away from them lie? As for China, this is just, well, gross!
Some moving pictures here. It's important to save tigers' habitat and let them move through the whole extent of their territories.
China is allowing the use of the bones of captive-bred tigers to be used as a tonic wine, even though the practice has been illegal since 1993. The Gov.t justifies this practice by claiming they are captive tigers- not wild ones. But they were obviously wild at some point & taken from the wild. It is estimated there are 5,000 captive tigers on farms & zoos, though there are as few as 3,200 wild tigers left woldwide. 100 years ago, there were 100,000 wild tigers but they were relentlessly poached for tiger parts & put in captivity on farms until they have now become critally endangered in the wild.
Tiger bone tonic wine is believed to have medicinal properties. Tiger bones are left to soak in the wine & removed before bottling. It is believed to remedy muscle pain, rheumatism, arthritis, paralysis & stimulate blood flow & has been used for centuries in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
China declared to help double the world's wild tiger population by 2022 by combating illegal trading & poaching of tigers & tiger parts, yet it is driving the market for continued illegal poaching & the demand for tiger bone wine. The only way to truly combat the poaching of tigers is to ban the use of ALL tiger products, incl. tiger bone wine. Save the tiger from extinction & stop using tiger products.
Rare birth in captivity for Endangered Species that has as few as 400 individuals remaining in the wild. A Sumatran Tiger named Leanne has given birth to a cub at San Francisco zoo in a rare boost to the critically endangered subspecies. Zookeepers are monitoring the pair in the zoo's secluded Lion House via webcam to allow the 9-year-old mother to bond with her baby.
Sumatran Tiger Leanne sleeps with her newborn cub in San Francisco zoo
Thanks to all who shared the majestic tiger pictures here in the care2 group petitions.
Just as one man said, we humans are the most stupidest animals on that planet.
And I agree completely with him.No animal is so cruel,brutal,coldhearted,arrogance and ignorance like humans.
Signed the latest. Couldn't see the Attenborough video as YouTube said that it wasn't approved to be seen by us Yanks. Saw the rest. Bought some US postage stamps today, the ones with the tiger on them, at a slightly higher cost than regular US 1st class stamps, which I was more than willing to pay.
News: Sad statistics Tigers are on the Brink http://fundphoenix.org/en/sad-statistics/
Sad statistics shows rapid decline of Tiger population in Far East of Russia (from Feb. 2012 through Feb. 2013).Olga S. http://www.care2.com/news/member/842301276/3538247
A young Tiger cub - one of a littler of 4 - tumbles from the den, only to be carried back to safety in it's Mother's massive jaws. Astonishing footage shot in the Indian Jungle using cameras attached to Elephants.
Christeen A. http://www.care2.com/news/member/354341191/3536411
China is a big monster stomps. It will be difficult to fight such atrocities, but not impossible. With God on our side and we being who we become in their hands, voices that rise against the killing of tigers for sale and marketing, we will win. We must unite and fight together. We must stop the pet trade.
News: The critically endangered Sumatran Tiger population has been boosted by the birth of a cub at San Francisco Zoo http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/130215/rare-sumatran-tiger-cub-born-san-francisco-zoo
Sumatran Tiger cubs play together at the Taman Safari
Indonesia Animal Hospital, in West Java, Indonesia
Take Control of Your Purchasing Power. Forest clearing for illegal logging & agricultural cash crops destroys Tiger Habitat & is a major threat to the survival of Tigers.
Here is a list of ways you can support.
China is the largest market for Tiger products, & tiger wine is a popular remedy of the middle class. It is believed that the wine will give the drinker the vitality & strength of the tiger, & a bottle will sell for around $230. Tiger skeletons are soaked in alcohol in order to make the wine–one skeleton will make about 30 bottles of wine. Other popular products include Tiger skins,Tiger claws, which are worn as amulets for courage & for good luck, tail soup–a cure for skin problems–& pills made from crushed eyeballs, which are believed to cure epilepsy. The popularity of tiger parts has led Beijing to consider legalizing the trade in tiger parts–an action that would surely hasten the tiger’s path to extinction. China has done relatively little to enforce its 20-year-old ban on tiger parts, & smugglers & farmers alike frequently kill the rare animals for a large profit. If the Chinese authorities continue to neglect this problem, the market for tiger parts will continue to threaten the livelihood of these endangered animals. Urge the Chinese Gov.t to step up its policies & protect the few remaining members of this beautiful species.Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3535791
all done Michela for all news + pics ♥
Video: Sweetest Amur Tiger Cub Saved by Ecologists http://vimeo.com/57420208
At present, the animal feels good. It is improving its hunting skills that will help the animal to survive on its own in the wild.
The picture, having read the article, feels especially compelling. Interesting source, thanks, Michela!
As rapid economic expansion continues to shape the Asian landscape on which many species depend, time is running out for conservationists aiming to save wildlife such as tigers and leopards. Habitat fragmentation can divide populations of species into isolated groups, which can lead to inbreeding and a genetic bottleneck that affects the long-term viability of the population.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3529067
A Tiger rolls in the snow at Blijdorp zoo in Rotterdam, the Netherlands
Thanks Michela, most already signed. Lovely pictures.
Wonderful video Michela, thank you for sharing smiles.
The video of a gibbon and tigers is indeed very funny. The gibbon is full of resources and the tigers are having fun.
I turned off the campy music.
It was better.
Love the video. Thanks Michela.
Video: Tigers & Gibbon - very funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WM591rkbyQ&feature=player_detailpage#at=42
Source: Giana P.
what a lovely comparison photo pairing,June
Have no stars left ,have given them all away this week
thanks for all the great pics
I missed this group most of all this summer,it's good to be at a computer for a few weeks.
Love to all tiger lovers
Oh ya,and facebook,as they say in the mob which it resembles; fugehdeboudid
This post was modified from its original form on 26 Dec, 9:04
Thank you, Jutta and Michela. Your pictures are gorgeous. I like that dog feeding the tiger cubs!
Animals are more humane than people!
Thank you for the gorgeous pictures, Jutta.
I hate facebook, but use it some. That is awesome about the petition going to the European Parliament, and worth having your account deleted.
Thanks! for posting also on other Social Networks!!! Above all on Facebook: it's my personal "revenge" as Facebook deleted my Account in May 2010, just because I was posting the Link to "my" Petition for Orangutans & Tigers "Label Palm Oil". Notwithstanding this, that Petition reached 6,455 Signatures!!!!!!! and went to the European Parliament...
Swiss Shepherd dog Talli feeds orphaned Tiger cubs & her own puppies. The little Tigers, 2 male cubs named Olymp & Dar & 1 female cub Talli, were born last month in the Oktyabrsky Zoo but abandoned by their mother
All petitions are signed and some of them was shared on Facebook.
Thank you Michela, for your beautiful posts.
My congratulations! Keep your good work!
We named "Tiger" the small cat that Jasmine rescued yesterday
from Antonio M. : Just for fun! LOL Hugs, Antonio
It seems the only ferocious animal is man! TY, Michela for those BEAUTIFUL pictures of tigers.
from Anneke A.
I am in Goteborg, Sweden: it’s about 10 degrees C. less than Rome & rainy... In Rome they are still going to the beach for bathing (late Summer)! Here it's cold!! The problem is that it's SO RAINY that I have problems in making photos! Some previous pics from me are in:
A big HUG!!! michela
From Vicynthia T.: Well, have wonderful days there. Here is a picture for you:
Tiger and Orangutan babies
A male Sumatran Tiger cub explores his enclosure, Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, Tacoma, Washington
2 Tiger cubs are chained & kept in a cage on the rooftop of an apartment building on the outskirts of Bangkok. A Thai man has been arrested for illegally raising 6 Tigers on the rooftop of the apartment building. This arrest is believed to be linked with a larger Tiger trafficking ring that has traded thousands of Big Cats in recent years
A confiscated Tiger looks through the fence of a cage on the rooftop deck of the residential apartment building, Bangkok, Thailand