284) New!! Actions: Urge your Congressmember to press for and support an end to the use of monkeys in research – contact them here Thanks for taking a few moments to help Monkeys suffering in breeding facilities & laboratories around the world this Int.l Primate Day. Together we can save the Primates. Sharon W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/177558438/3800559
283) New!! Actions: Primate trade exposed in Mauritius http://www.ad-international.org/animal_experiments/go.php?id=3503 Contact Air France KLM to tell them that you will be flying with other Airlines until they pledge to stop transporting Primates for research.
Online: Air France website & KLM website
Facebook: Air France & KLM
Twitter: @AirFranceUS and @KLM_US
Contact your Congressional representatives via the US House of Representatives Directory & the US Senate’s List of Senators & urge them to press for & support an end to the import of Monkeys for experiments or breeding & a phase-out of the use of Monkeys in research. Sharon W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/177558438/3800559
282) New!! Pet. Oppose plans to build a Monkey breeding facility in Florida http://www.ad-international.org/petitions/?a=sign&pid=10&l=en We, the undersigned, oppose plans by SoFloAg/Biodia/PreLabs to build a commercial Monkey breeding facility in Labelle, Florida & urge you to do all you can to oppose this proposed establishment which seeks to import thousands of non-native Long-tailed Macaque Monkeys from outside the US into the state. Sharon W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/177558438/3800559
Help us push for an end to Monkey tests this Int.l Primate Day http://www.ad-international.org/mmap/go.php?id=3745&ssi=61 Sept. 1st is Int-l Primate Day It highlights the threats & abuse that Apes & Monkeys face & also celebrate those who have been rescued & given a 2nd chance at life Please take action Then see my comment below. Thanks Sharon W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/177558438/3800559
281) New!! Pet.: Ice Bucket Challenge: Stop Waste Your Money on Unproductive Testing on Primates! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/765/172/052/ice-bucket-challenge-stop-waste-your-money-on-unproductive-testing-on-primates/ Testing on Primates is meaningless & cruel , even tens of years of research have not brought any significant results. But they have causing suffering of tens of thousands of primates although there are more efficient & ethical methods of testing!!! Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3798468
280) New!! Pet.: Terminate Cruel University Experiment on Baby Monkeys http://forcechange.com/129736/terminate-cruel-university-experiment-on-baby-monkeys/#gf_15 Pls sign to stop a cruel science experiment depriving 40 baby Rhesus Monkeys of all maternal care the day after birth - by isolating them for 42 days - then subjecting them to terrifying, frightening & traumatic events before being killed aged one. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3794586
279) New!! Pet.: Ban Primate Testing in the United States! http://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/president-of-the-united-states-ban-primate-testing-in-the-united-states#share The U.S, other than Gabon, is the only other country to allow the testing of Chimpanzees. The U.S. imprisones more than 125,000 Primates in laboritories to be tested on, both physically & mentally. They undergo terrifying & brutal experiments, & nearly 90% of those tested Primates end up with some abnormal affects or even in the graveyard. Sign this petition for the thousands of Primates suffering in testing sites. Tell the President to ban Primate testing!!! STOP THIS TORTURE!!! Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3792540
278) New!! Pet.: Tell Carmike Cinemas CEO to Ban Wild Animals From All Theaters! https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=5553 The Chimpanzee Chubbs-from 2001 remake of Planet of the Apes-was discovered by a PETA investigator living in an underground cement pit that resembled a dungeon. He was surrounded by piles of rotten food & feces that were swarming with flies & maggots. Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3792760
277) New!! Pet.: Air France, stop transporting Monkeys to lab tests! http://www.yousign.org/de/air-france-monkeys Air France has not ceased to carry Monkeys for vivisection. They fly also dogs & cats from breeding facilities to laboratories all over the world. The animal testing has become a multimillion $ industry, thus when it comes to money or moral fiber, you bet that Cos. choose the 1st. Source: Doris V.
276) New!! Pet.: Mauritius: Stop exporting Monkeys for research purposes! http://www.yousign.org/de/mauritius-monkeys Thousands of Monkeys from Mauritius are exported for research every year. Over 4,000 long-tailed Macaques were exported all over the world bet. Jan.&Sept. 2013. These statistics placed Mauritius as the 2nd exporter of Monkeys for research purposes worldwide! We believe the poor monkeys should be let in their natural habitat, enjoy their life peacefully & research labs should stop testing / killing monkeys! Source: Doris V.
275) New!! Pet.: Act Now to Save the Chimps http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/515/324/852/ Right now there are hundreds of Chimpanzees suffering in laboratories across the U.S. Hundreds more are being held in unaccredited facilities (such as roadside zoos), as pets, by breeders, or trainers for entertainment. Chimpanzees are intelligent & sensitive individuals who are our closest living relatives in the animal kingdom. They don't deserve to be treated this way & should be allowed to live peacefully & without being abused. We can make it clear that we will not stand for the abuse of Chimpanzees. Save the Chimps is the world's largest Chimpanzee sanctuary with nearly 300 Chimpanzees living in our Sanctuary. We rescue Chimpanzees from exploitation & provide them the level of care, attention, & enrichment that they need to help them thrive. Join Save the Chimps by opposing the use of Chimpanzees in research, in the entertainment industry, & as pets. Take the pledge today! I oppose the use of Chimpanzees in research, in the entertainment industry, & as pets & pledge my support for Chimpanzees to live safely & peacefully in the U.S. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3779124
274) New!! Pet.: Stop cryogenic Lab freezing Experiments on Chimpanzees! http://www.yousign.org/de/freezing-chimps The labs of the Carleton Univ. in Ottawa are quite busy nowadays, as various animals are subjected to cruel cryogenic freezing experiments by Canadian scientists. Source: Doris V.
273) New!! Pet.: British Gov.t: Stop funding Monkey experiments! http://www.yousign.org/de/uk-monkey-testing Contrary to public plea, the British Gov.t carries on the funding of cruel Primate experiments. 5 British Universities (incl. Oxford) have received public grants to continue Monkey testing throughout 2014. The money comes from the taxpayers. Instead of investing in other more productive fields, it is spent on importing, breeding & eventually poisoning innocent Primates. Meanwhile, other countries such as Israel & Italy have decided to ban Monkey trade in laboratories & have closed several farms that breed Primates. Such barbaric tests have no place in today’s modern world. We urge David Cameron & the UK Gov.t to follow the above mentioned examples & drop these crude Primate tests right away! Source: Doris V.
46) Pet.: Please Help Robby! He Deserves A Better Life! http://www.peta.de/rettetrobby#.U44twyhGDVo Pls Help Robby, a 37 year old Chimpanzee, to be free!! The last Ape in a German circus must endure in appalling conditions: he must undergo medical care. Let him free, for his 1st time & have the opportunity to be a…Chimpanzee, at last! He deserves it! Angela K. http://www.care2.com/news/member/340441191/3776133
270) Urgent New!! Action: The Jane Goodall Inst. Donation to Save Amadeus & Nikki https://www.givengain.com/cgi-bin/giga.cgi?cmd=donate&cause_id=4110 Amadeus & Nikki: both survivors of the Illegal Wildlife & Bushmeat Trades. Amadeus, 23, from Angola: spent his life chained up outside a gas station, used to attract customers. Nikki, 20, from Liberia: kept for 2 years as a kind of cross between a pet & a child: fully shaved, forced to wear costumes & a gold watch, taught to eat at a table with silverware. Rescued in 1996, lived at Johannesburg Zoo before being transferred to Chimp Eden. Amadeus & Nikki, both adult males, attacked 2 people. A committee ordered that Amadeus & Nikki be euthanized. Jane Goodall is hoping to avoid that fate & has issued a $250,000 fund-raising call to create a new enclosure for the 2 Chimps. Until June 8 to raise the money. Source: Stephanie G.
269) New!! Pet.:Stop Tormenting Chimpanzees in Cruel & Archaic Experiments! https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=5463 35 years ago, a female Chimpanzee--identified only as "4X0139"--was intentionally infected with the hepatitis B virus by experimenters. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3772893
268) New!! Pet.: Stop Deadly Monkey Transportation By Air France! http://www.peta.de/airfrance#.U4DuRFdGDVp Air France continues flying monkeys "one way" to testing laboratories around the world, despite the fact that all other major airlines have dropped out of this cruel business. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3771957
267) New!! Pet.: STOP the export of Javanese Monkeys!! http://www.prowildlife.de/node/452/done?sid=249405 The stocks of wild Javanese Monkeys are in many places clearly falling, in other cases there are no scientific population. The issuance of trade permits with animals of such stocks or the fraudulent to declared of wild animals as "bred" violation. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3769401
266) New!! Pet.: Applaud Program to Save Chimpanzees http://animalpetitions.org/4657/applaud-program-to-save-chimpanzees/ Thank the Ivory Coast Gov.t for working with conversationalists to promote Chimpanzee preservation ecotourism projects! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3771629
265) New!! Pet.: Tell Air France to Stop Profiting off Animal Cruelty https://secure2.convio.net/ida/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2599 Air France is the only major airline in the world that still ships terrified Monkeys to suffer & die in ethically abhorrent biomedical experimentation. As other airlines have abandoned the cruel practice, Air France enjoys a profitable monopoly. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3768087
264) New!! Pet.: Appeal to Int.l investors: Stop patents on Chimpanzees! http://www.testbiotech.de/en/investors_chimpanzees I call on the investors: Pls help to stop patents on animals & especially on Great Apes! Patents on animals can create commercial incentives to produce & market these animals just for profit. Such patents should be outlawed internationally. Pls contact the Companies mentioned & ask for the implementation of clear ethical standards!
263) New!! Pet.: Opposition against patents on Chimpanzees http://www.testbiotech.de/en/node/879 In 2012 the European Patent Office (EPO) has granted 3 patents on Genetically Engineered Chimpanzees. The animals are intended for use in pharmaceutical research. Such patents can create commercial incentives to run more animal experiments with animals – even with Great Apes, like Chimpanzees. The signatories are calling for animals to be treated with more respect, a stop of patents on animals &the revocation of the patents on Chimpanzees. Source: Waltraud U.
261) New!! Pet.: Nanjing Medical University, China: Stop creating genetically modified Monkeys!
http://www.yousign.org/en/dna-monkeys Although the medical world was impressed with the results of the Chinese researchers, these tests will eventually result in spike in the Monkeys used for research purposes. Scientists will ultimately have limitless power to give birth to sick animals. We disapprove the tests conducted at Nanjing Medical University! No Primate deserves to be subjected to such suffering! Source: Andreas B.
259) New!! Pet.: Say NO! to Animal Experiments in Mauritius! https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Say_No_to_Animal_Experiments_in_Mauritius/ Mauritius is preparing to implement a Pre-Clinical Research Bill which will most likely involve the legalizing of experiments & tests on animals. We say a resounding NO to that! Sabine H. http://www.care2.com/news/member/982596536/3748357
258) New!! Pet.: Urge NIH to Retire ALL Chimpanzees http://www.aavs.org/c.bkLTKfOSLhK6E/b.8981807/k.58C2/Retire_ALL_chimpanzees/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx#.UwFfgbQcrkB Some Alamogordo Chimpanzees are still waiting for a sanctuary home. Sadly, some were moved from the Alamogordo Primate Facility (APF) in New Mexico to the SW Primate Research Center in Texas just prior to NIH’s policy change. They are considered “inactive,” they remain at this lab facility. In fact, all NIH owned & supported Chimpanzees, many of whom are elderly & sick, deserve some tender, loving care in sanctuary; perhaps none more so than the Alamogordo Chimps, many of whom were used in highly invasive experiments. Time is short for some of these Chimpanzees. NIH needs to make retirement to accredited sanctuaries a priority. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3732689
257) New!! Pet.: Protect Korean animals in entertainment through implementation of Zoo Act http://www.ad-international.org/petitions/?a=sign&pid=7 Tell Korea to sign the Zoo Act which will create zoo welfare standards & ban animal performances. Monkeys kept in squalid & barren conditions; traumatized, exhibiting abnormal behaviour; monkeys isolated in tiny cages; hit during training & dragged along the floor. During shows, monkeys are made to ride on a motorbike, do handstands, jump through hoops & respond to commands. Forcing animals to perform & allowing their suffering in the name of entertainment is completely unacceptable in a modern, civilized society & this is acknowledged by a growing number of nations around the world. Over 20 countries have restricted animal circuses & performances. Sara W. http://www.care2.com/news/member/189083939/3729156
256) New!! Pet.: Let’s stop cruelty at the Saint Petersbourg Circus - Mettons fin à la cruauté exercée au cirque de Saint-Petersbourg http://www.thepetitionsite.com/346/317/325/mettons-fin-la-cruaut-exerce-au-cirque-de-saint-petersbourg/ Target: President Putin. This Petition needs many more signatures if we hope to change life for animals in this Circus. Pls, take a second & share! Author: Sylvie Auger
255) New!! Pet.: No More Monkeying - Support the Captive Primate Safety http://www.aavs.org/c.bkLTKfOSLhK6E/b.8836133/k.735B/No_More_Monkeying_Around/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx#.Uvp-SbQcrkB As a leader in the development of good sanctuary practices & certification, AAVS believes that by supporting the Captive Primate Safety Act, we can help end the Primate Pet Trade, which, in turn, will also help sanctuaries that require so many resources to care for animals in need. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3724115
254) New!! Pet.: Protect Unique Chimpanzee Culture http://forcechange.com/105183/protect-unique-chimpanzee-culture/ A large population of Chimpanzees on the border of Dem. Rep. of Congo & the Central African Rep. is threatened by poachers & rogue militia. The Bili-Uele forest contains thousands of Chimps, perhaps tens of thousands, creating what scientists call a “mega-culture”: fascinating research possibilities bec. the Chimps exhibit complex social organization. The Chimps have unique habits such as hunting large cats, like Leopards, & eating snails which they smash on rocks to break through the shells; traveling in gangs, building ground nests much more often than other Chimps, & teaching their young to use tools to eat insects. The chimps coexist with other Species incl.Forest Elephants, Baboons, Hyenas, GuineaFowl, RedRiver & Forest Hogs. The mega-culture of Chimps also presents a sociological & biological research. All of this is irrelevant if the forest & the Chimpanzees are not protected. Chimps are often sold as “Bushmeat”, which is now a booming commercial industry in DRC. Even though Chimps are officially recognized as endangered in DRC, there is a very real threat that poachers & rogue armies will destroy & annihilate the unprotected Chimp population. David Cameron will soon be hosting a summit on the illegal wildlife trade with over 50 nations. Encourage him to create a wildlife guard to protect these Chimpanzees’ habitat by setting up roadblocks against poachers. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3722684
253) New!! Pet.: Tell Airline to Stop Shipping Monkeys for Cruel Experimentation http://forcechange.com/105101/tell-airline-to-stop-shipping-monkeys-for-cruel-experimentation/ Each year, more than 10,000 Primates are shipped Int.lly for the sole purpose of being imprisoned & tortured in laboratories across the USA. The kidnapped Monkeys are crammed into small wooden crates & loaded into the dark cargo holds of aircrafts where they spend several traumatizing hours in flight. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3720190
252) New!! Action: Primate trade exposed in Mauritius http://www.ad-international.org/animal_experiments/go.php?id=3503 Contact Air France & KLM to tell them that you will be flying with other airlines until they pledge to stop transporting Primates for research. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3718624
Online: Air France website & KLM website
Facebook: Air France & KLM; Twitter: @AirFranceUS & @KLM_US
Contact your Congress representatives US House of Representatives Directory & US Senate’s List of Senators & urge them to press for & support an end to the import of Monkeys for experiments or breeding & a phase-out of the use of monkeys in research.
251) New!! Pet.: Urge Corporate Giant to End Animal Testing http://forcechange.com/98781/urge-corporate-giant-to-end-animal-testing/#gf_15 Target: CEO of Johnson & Johnson; Goal: End the use of animal testing done by Johnson & Johnson & its subsidiaries. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3697886
250) New!! Pet.: Stop Subsidizing Cruel Animal Research Laboratory http://animalpetitions.org/2731/stop-subsidizing-cruel-animal-research-laboratory/ Urge UK Gov.t to reduce funding of terribly cruel animal testing facility at Cambridge Univ., experimenting on Rhesus Macaque & Marmoset Monkeys, rats & other animals, who face deliberate torture & terrible suffering. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3696496
249) New!! Pet.: Stop Dissection of Live Primates http://forcechange.com/98723/stop-dissection-of-live-primates/#.UswwknozQKg.care2 The Univ. of CA, Los Angeles (UCLA) still uses Monkeys in "scientific" experiments, using vivisection, which is the cruel brutal practice of cutting into animals that are alive, torturing them, then killing them. Victoria O. http://www.care2.com/news/member/271353204/3696902
248) New!! Pet.: Tell NASA to Stop Using Primates for Space Research http://www.thepetitionsite.com/243/121/704/tell-nasa-to-stop-using-primates-for-space-research// NASA is considering continued research on Primates (& other animals) to study how the environment in space affects biological processes, enabling NASA to develop “a safe, productive human presence in space for extended periods”. Severe discomfort, distress, pain or injury, willful & intentional prolonged animal suffering constitute animal cruelty: cruel & barbaric!! Serving no useful purpose & yielding no benefical info. Decades of radiation research involving nonhuman Primates have not advanced human space travel. Genetic, anatomical, & physiological differences between Humans & Monkeys make this type of research unproductive. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3698078
247) New!! Pet.: Stop Turning Primates Into Meth Addicts http://animalpetitions.org/2591/stop-turning-primates-into-meth-addicts/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=stop-turning-primates-into-meth-addicts&utm_source=Animal+Petitions&utm_campaign=55cf08a5e1-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_te The Univ. of CA, Los Angeles (UCLA), spends approximately $200 million dollars of public money every year on animal testing. They have been accused of turning Primates into meth addicts, then killing them at the end of the experiment. Robert T. http://www.care2.com/news/member/631213065/3691669
245) New!! Pet.: Appeal to Int.l investors: Stop patents on Chimpanzees! http://www.testbiotech.org/en/node/960 Pls help to stop patents on animals & especially on Great Apes! Patents on animals can create commercial incentives to produce & market these animals just for profit. Such patents should be outlawed internationally. Pls contact the companies mentioned & ask for the implementation of clear ethical standards! Source: Waltraud U.
Video: The cruel capture and captivity of wild Baboons for experiments in Kenya https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXEYGs6k7I
238) New!! Pet.: St. Kitts & Nevis: Halt the export of wild Monkeys https://www.change.org/petitions/st-kitts-nevis-halt-the-export-of-wild-monkeys The twin-island nation of St. Kitts & Nevis is known for beautiful scenery & a more relaxed atmosphere than elsewhere in the Caribbean. St. Kitts & Nevis is one of only a small number of nations that continue to export wild monkeys for use in research and testing. Help us stop this cruel trade. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3680942
235) New!! Pet.: Tell Vietnam Airlines- Stop Transporting Research Primates http://www.thepetitionsite.com/120/176/064/tell-vietnam-airlines-stop-transporting-research-primates/ Thousands of Monkeys originating in countries such as Vietnam, Mauritius, China, Cambodia & Barbados are transported to the USA to research laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. Author: Nyack Clancy; Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3670241
233) New!! Pet.: Save Primates from experimentation http://www.againstanimaltesting.org/ Pls sign, demanding the Camarles Primate breeding & supply farm is closed down. Request also that Air France & Aeronova cease transporting Primates. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3669874
Video: Camarles Exposed - European Monkey supplier for laboratories http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap9_TPjBkkY
232) New!! Pet.: Air France- Stop Transporting Research Primates http://www.thepetitionsite.com/386/480/382/air-france-stop-transporting-research-primates/ They are ripped from their family groups, packed into small wooden crates & travel as cargo in the holds on passenger airlines where they can endure inadequate ventilation, noise, temperature fluctuations & delays as they are shipped on extremely long journey for research experiments. AirFrance is now the only major EU passenger airliner still engaged in transporting Primates for research. Urge AirFrance to stop!! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3668455
231) New!! Pet.: Retire the Chimps!!! http://retirethechimps.org/speak_up/ Move Chimps out of "research reserve" & into retirement! The Chimpanzees of Alamogordo Primate Facility deserve permanent retirement from invasive research. Chimps from the APF are the survivors of decades of testing & many are are elderly & chronically ill as a result of their years of use in research. Make your voice heard!!! Source: Sylvie C.
230) New!! Pet.: Support Funding for Retired Research Chimps Following a long battle for their freedom, chimpanzees suffering in labs got a victory when the Nat.l Inst. of Health (NIH) formally announced it would be retiring most of the ones it owns or funds, but their freedom now hangs on the NIH's ability to spend money on their care in retirement. Cher C.
VICTORY!!! For the STOP-VIVISECTION Initiative. We reached the new target of 1,100,000 voices, & even more because we finally collected: 1.126.005 signatures!!!! We were asked to collect a certain percentage of signatures in at least 7 countries, people did even better because we actually have the percentage requested in 12 Countries! Source: Laetitia S.
228) New!! Pet.: Philippine Airlines- Stop Transporting Research Primates to Laboratories http://www.thepetitionsite.com/746/954/029/philipine-airlines-stop-transporting-research-primates-to-laboratories/ Thousands of monkeys are transported to the USA to research laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. In 2010, nearly 23,000 nonhuman Primates destined for research laboratories were bought into the U.S. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3665993
227) New!! Pet.: Stop Testing Botox on Animals http://www.thepetitionsite.com/130/478/711/stop-testing-botox-on-animals/ For the LD50 test, groups of animals are injected with different doses of Botox in the abdomen. They are subjected to terrible pain. They suffer from paralysis, impaired vision & respiratory distress. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3664988
226) New!! Pet.: Privately-Owned Chimpanzees Deserve Retirement Too! http://www.kintera.org/c.cuIXJjNVKfL2G/b.8102071/k.90D5/National_Issues/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx?c=cuIXJjNVKfL2G&b=8102071&aid=520368#.Um1QFpwZPwd While hundreds of Chimpanzees are now eligible for retirement under the new criteria established by the Inst. of Medicine (IOM) & accepted by the Nat.l Institutes of Health (NIH), hundreds of other Chimpanzees are still subjected to invasive research at laboratories in the U.S. These laboratories or Univ. research Depts. use Chimpanzees that they own or that are owned by other private entities that are not reliant on grants from the federal Gov.t for the research they perform, thus making them exempt from the IOM criteria. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3663490
VICTORY!! More than a million persons signed the European Citizens Initiative Stop-Vivisection!!! We have won!!!! 6 days before the end & without taking into account the signatures on paper! Thank you so much for having signed and/or shared, & for sure, together we ARE making a difference! Source: Laetitia S.
225) New!! Pet.: Tell Mars Candy- Stop Animal Experiments http://www.thepetitionsite.com/859/888/430/tell-mars-candy-stop-animal-experiments/ You should know that Candy maker Mars, Inc, creator of M&M's, Snickers, Twix, Dove, Three Musketeers, Starburst, Skittles, & their candies, funds deadly animal tests, even though there are more reliable human studies & not one of the tests is required by law. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3661908
224) New!! Pet.: Save Suffering Lab Monkeys http://forcechange.com/88383/save-suffering-lab-monkeys/ 2 Rhesus Monkeys at the California Nat.l Primate Research Center at the Univ. of California in Davis recently died. An investigation into the matter also revealed that more than 50 Rhesus Monkeys escaped the facility in 2011. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3661338
222) New!! Pet.: Stop Air France From Shipping Monkeys to Their Deaths! https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=5122&autologin=true Tell Air France officials that you won't be flying with the airline until it stops this cruel practice! Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3660975
221) New!! Pet.: NIRC: Retire Privately Owned Chimpanzees Now https://secure3.convio.net/neavs/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=227 Despite the Nat.l Inst. of Health retiring all the federally owned Chimpanzees at the New Iberia Research Center (NIRC) in New Iberia, Louisiana, the lab still houses a large No. of privately owned Chimpanzees who they have not yet scheduled for retirement. NIRC & other labs are fighting to hold on to the millions in funding they have received for decades to simply house & maintain Chimpanzees – even though their actual use in research was rapidly dwindling or nonexistent. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3658251
220) New!! Pet.: Applaud Donor That Rescued Chimp From Solitary Confinement http://forcechange.com/84423/applaud-donor-that-rescued-chimp-from-solitary-confinement/ A Chimpanzee, J.R., spent decades in solitary confinement inside of a cramped, dirty cage. After that, J.R. was moved to another roadside zoo where he yelled in agony, paced around his cage, & bit his arms. A symptom of psychological trauma due to confinement. Now, thanks to an anonymous donor, J.R. is living in a Chimpanzee paradise in FL, a lush sanctuary, with a healthy diet, room to explore, & Chimpanzee friends. J.R. was separated from his mother as a baby. His captors forced him to perform odd tricks for onlookers. J.R. never had interaction with other Chimpanzees. At the Save the Chimps Animal Sanctuary, J.R. is being introduced to the other 250 Chimpanzees. J.R. & his generous friend can teach us all how animals should be treated. Animals are not meant to live in isolation and/or a cage. Animals are meant to freely express themselves in their natural habitat. Recognize J.R.’s donor & spread awareness for all animals that still suffer in captivity. Source: Ana M.
219) New!! Pet.: Urge DiCaprio and Scorsese to Remove Captive Chimp from Film http://forcechange.com/82241/urge-dicaprio-and-scorsese-to-remove-captive-chimp-from-film/ The young Ape in Wolf of Wall Street is Chance, who lives with the Rosaire family, in a traveling circus, where Chimpanzees are forced to ride around on horses & perform unnatural tricks. The Rosaires failed to provide animals with adequate living conditions & restrained a Chimpanzee with a noose at a public exhibition. Many chimp actors end up in abusive conditions eating rotten food & living in filthy & trash-filled cages, & are separated from their mother soon after birth, with immense psychological trauma. Chimpanzees are exceptionally perceptive & intelligent animals, can understand symbols, & have the ability to plan for the future. Source: Ana M.
218) New!! Pet.: Call for a Nationwide Ban on Keeping Monkeys as Pets http://forcechange.com/83417/call-for-a-nationwide-ban-on-keeping-monkeys-as-pets/ Urge the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture to implement a federal ban outlawing pet monkey ownership. Such a ban would prevent dangerous monkey attacks that result from confinement by humans, & allow Monkeys to thrive in their natural habitats. Primates belong in the wild & humans should not rob them of their safety or freedom!! Source: Ana M.
217) New!! Pet.: Commend Authorities for Arresting Notorious Chimpanzee Abuser http://forcechange.com/72598/commend-authorities-for-arresting-notorious-chimpanzee-abuser/ Authorities in Florida recently arrested James "Mike" Casey after catching him trying to get rid of 3 Chimpanzees at a roadside zoo. According to eyewitness testimony & USDA records, the Chimpanzees had been punched, kicked, beaten, & scalded. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3652177
216) New!! Pet.: Take Action to End the Primate Pet Trade http://www.kintera.org/siteapps/advocacy/Error.aspx?c=cuIXJjNVKfL2G&b=8102069&e=6#.UlLIb75zbDc The Captive Primate Safety Act, which would stop commerce in Primates for the exotic Pet Trade, has been reintroduced this year in both chambers of Congress, in order to save Primates from inadequate & inhumane living conditions. Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3653903
215) US only New!! Pet.: No More Monkeying Around Support the Captive Primate Safety Act! http://www.aavs.org/c.bkLTKfOSLhK6E/b.8836133/k.735B/No_More_Monkeying_Around/siteapps/advocacy/ActionItem.aspx#.UlSVm5yHbwd As part of our mission to end the use of animals in research, testing, & education, AAVS supports sanctuaries that provide caring environments for animals formerly used in laboratories. The majority of AAVS-funded sanctuaries care for nonhuman primates Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3652699
214) New!! Pet.: Extend Full Protection for Captive Chimpanzees http://www.thepetitionsite.com/260/551/642/extend-full-protection-for-captive-chimpanzees/ While wild Chimpanzees have been protected under the Endangered Species Act since 1976, the worldwide population of wild chimpanzees has fallen by nearly 70% in the past 30 years. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3646462
211) New!! Pet.: Stop Vivisection at University of California http://www.thepetitionsite.com/228/328/652/stop-vivisection-at-university-of-california/ More than 100 violations of federal animal welfare laws & guidelines were reported by 2012 USDA inspections of animals in testing & research at the University of California San Francisco. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3642540
210) New!! US only Pet.: Captive Primate Safety Act (H.R. 2856) https://secure3.convio.net/bfusa/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=817 The Interstate Trade in Primates threatens public safety & has grave implications for animal welfare. Since 1990, more than 200 people – incl. dozens of children -- have been injured by Primates. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3640597
209) New!! Pet.: Condemn L’Oreal for Buying Into Cosmetics Tested on Animals http://forcechange.com/72600/condemn-loreal-for-buying-into-cosmetics-tested-on-animals/ L’Oreal agreed to pay $843 million for the Chinese cosmetics face-mask maker Magic Holdings Int.l. While L’Oreal is barred by EU Union rules from testing on animals within the EU, China’s Gov.t requires such trials for every new beauty product. Cal. M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3639517
208) New!! Pet.: Halt Plans For Unnecessary Chemical Testing on Animals http://forcechange.com/72706/demand-agency-halt-plans-for-unnecessary-chemical-testing-on-animals/ Use only non-animal testing models in proposed endocrine studies. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3640186
207) New!! Pet.: Stop Trapping Silver River Monkeys! http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/5154/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=12704 Since 1998, one trapper, Scott Cheslak of Beaufort, S. Carolina, has trapped & removed 800 monkeys & sold them to laboratories to be used in experiments.
205) New!! Pet.: Stop Interstate Commerce of Primates http://forcechange.com/70247/stop-interstate-commerce-of-primates/#gf_1 Two members of the US House of Representatives have co-sponsored an important animal welfare bill. Entitled “Captive Primate Safety Act,” this bill has drawn praise from animal advocate groups like the Humane Society of the US, the Jane Goodall Institute, & the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. If passed, the piece of legislation will amend an existing law to prohibit interstate commerce in monkeys, apes & other primates for purposes of the exotic pet trade. Moreover, the bill will step up penalties for these offenses to ensure a proper deterrent to violations. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3628444
204) New!! Pet.: Put All Chimpanzees on Endangered Species List http://forcechange.com/70048/put-all-chimpanzees-on-endangered-species-list/ The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has proposed a rule that would increase protection for Chimpanzees under the Endangered Species Act. It would include captive chimpanzees, which are not currently included. Wild chimpanzees are listed as endangered. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3629717
203) US only New!! Pet.: Support Captive Primate Safety Act (S.1463) https://secure3.convio.net/bfusa/site/Advocacy;jsessionid=FA05BE3%20DDD66AFAE4DA726B0A685D9C8.app367a?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=823 The interstate Trade in Primates threatens public safety & has grave implications for animal welfare. Since 1990, more than 270 people -- including dozens of children -- have been injured by Primates. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3632717
202) US only New!! Pet.: Urge Congress to protect Primates http://www.ifaw.org/united-states/get-involved/urge-congress-protect-primates Ask your Congressmember to support the Captive Primate Safety Act. The bill aims to end the shameful interstate pet trade in monkeys, great apes, & other primates. As with big cats, keeping a primate as a pet is an inhumane and reckless practice. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3630312
201) New!! Pet.: Air France- Stop Transporting Research Primates http://www.thepetitionsite.com/319/262/348/air-france-stop-transporting-research-primates/ Thousands of Monkeys from countries such as Mauritius, China, Vietnam, Cambodia & Barbados are transported by Air France to Europe & the USA to research laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. They are ripped from their family groups, packed into small wooden crates & travel as cargo in the holds on passenger airlines where they can endure inadequate ventilation, noise, temperature fluctuations & delays en route as they are shipped on extremely long journey for research experiments. Air France is now the only major European passenge airliner still engaged in the cruel trade of transporting Primates for research. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3616014
199) New!! Pet.: Ban Masked, Begging Street Monkeys in Indonesia http://www.thepetitionsite.com/860/902/797/ban-masked-begging-street-monkeys-in-indonesia/ Animal activists in Jakarta have said the practice is cruel, & illegal. We ask the Indonesian Gov.t to stop this cruel exploitation. Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3616594
Watch how animals are treated in laboratories:
Video: This Is Animal Research
Top 5 Shocking Animal Experimentation Facts
Millions of animals—incl dogs & cats just like the ones we share our homes with—are tormented in U.S. laboratories annually for cruel experiments.
1. More than 100 million animals: poisoned, burned, crippled, abused in other ways in U.S. labs each year.
2. No experiment is illegal: no matter how cruel, irrelevant to human health, redundant, or painful.
3. 95% of animals used for experiments: excluded from the only federal law offering any sort of protection.
4. Even when valid alternatives to animals are available: the law doesn't require that they be used. 5. 92% of experimental drugs safe & effective in animals: fail in human clinical trials because they don't work or are dangerous. Carolina: http://www.care2.com/news/member/793612499/3104680
197) New!! Pet.: Help Save Chimps From Research http://www.takepart.com/actions/help-save-chimps-extinction Chimpanzees in USA are suffering in research labs, entertainment industry, & the pet trade. Stand with organizations like Save the Chimps & learn how you can help these incredible creatures. 50yrs ago: a million Chimpanzees in Africa Today: 150,000 left in the wild. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3608584
196) New!! Pet.: Protect Chimps in Captivity From Harm http://forcechange.com/68990/protect-chimps-in-captivity-from-harm/ Chimps in captivity in USA: NO protection / Wild chimps listed as endangered. Captive chimps: exploited in entertainment, invasive experiments & pet trade, hurting efforts to conserve chimps in the wild. Both captive&wild chimps must be listed as endangered to increase their protections & positively affecting conservation of wild chimps. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3607479
194) New!! Pet.: Protect Chimpanzees under the Endangered Species Act http://org2.salsalabs.com/o/6014/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=14696 Ask the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service to help all Chimpanzees by applying Endangered Species Act protections to captive Chimpanzees. Cher C.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3608040
193) New!! Pet.: Make animal testing history! http://www.thepetitionsite.com/867/078/317/make-animal-testing-history/ We never will find freedom from disease, causing such immense suffering on the backs of sentient beings ..because there will always be some new disease springing as a result of all that violence & pain!! Cal M. http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3613230
192) New!! Pet.: Retire Harvard's Research Primates to a Sanctuary http://www.thepetitionsite.com/574/338/014/retire-harvards-research-primates-to-a-sanctuary/ Over the next 2 years, the New England Regional Primate Research Center, (part of Harvard Medical School), will shut down it's center, & move about 2,000 Monkeys. They hold 1,500 Rhesus Macaques as well as smaller numbers of other Species, incl. Cotton-top Tamarins.Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3611063
190) New!! Pet. Stop Vivisection at University of California http://www.thepetitionsite.com/733/710/876/stop-vivisection-at-university-of-california/ More than 100 violations of federal an imal welfare laws & guidelines were reported by 2012 USDA inspections of animals in testing & research at the Univ. of California San Francisco (UCSF). Cher C. http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3614809
189) New!! Pet.: Care2 please make a 'Critically Endangered animals' free click to donate & make it permanent too http://www.thepetitionsite.com/459/262/241/care2-please-make-a-crictically-endangered-animals-free-click-to-donate-and-make-it-permanent-too/
Target: Care2 & Care2 members who love animals & understand ecology
Sponsored by: Elizabeth Brawn
188) New!! Pet.: Commend U.S. for Retiring Research Chimps http://forcechange.com/68079/commend-u-s-for-retiring-research-chimps/
The Nat.l Institutes of Health recently declared that it will soon begin retiring its Chimpanzees & sending them to sanctuaries. This decision will not completely eradicate the use of Chimps for medical research, but it is a critical step toward ending this practice.
187) New!! Pet.: Tell University of California to Stop Vivisection http://www.thepetitionsite.com/221/821/369/tell-university-of-california-to-stop-vivisection/
More than 100 violations of federal animal welfare laws & guidelines were reported by 2012 USDA inspections of animals in testing & research at the Univ. of CA, San Francisco.
186) New!! Pet.: Praise Proposal of Increased Protection for Captive Chimpanzees http://forcechange.com/66833/praise-proposal-of-increased-protection-for-captive-chimpanzees/
Commend the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service for proposing increased protections for captive Chimpanzees.
184) New!! Pet.: Save Chimps from Science Experiments http://www.thepetitionsite.com/315/644/956/support-declaring-all-chimpanzees-as-endangered/
A new proposal by the US Fish & Wildlife Service would put all chimpanzees under the protection of the Endangered Species Act – incl. those who are currently passing their sad lives alone in cages.
Comments on Fish & Wildlife Service Proposed Rule to List Captive Chimpanzees as “Endangered” - The Nat.l Anti-Vivisection Society has worked for decades to end the use of Chimpanzees in research & their exploitation in entertainment & as personal pets, through advocacy, education & legislation. There is now a critically important opportunity to make a difference on behalf of Chimpanzees. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (FW has now issued a proposed rule to change the status of chimpanzees born in captivity in the USA from “threatened” to “endangered.” The proposed rule, which comes in response to a petition filed by animal & environmental advocacy groups, would change the current status of captive chimpanzees. The FWS, after reviewing the petition, concluded that the Endangered Species Act does not permit it to differentiate between members of a single species as it has done in the past. This proposed rule would properly list all chimpanzees as endangered & eliminate the special category that allows for the commercial exploitation of chimpanzees in this country without a permit. Spread the word! Share this page with your social network.
The tobacco industry & federal Gov.t both are still funding nicotine & smoking experiments on animals. Every year in the U.S., hundreds of animals are harmed & killed in experiments to test the effects of nicotine and tobacco. "Animal experiments failed to demonstrate that exposure to cigarettes & tobacco smoke caused lung & other forms of cancer, which is now undisputed in humans." So the point of continuing these cruel experiments is WHAT? Other than to collect Gov.t funding? We don't want our tax money to go towards conducting nicotine experiments on pregnant & newborn animals - we already know that pregnant mothers should not smoke. Stop testing & torturing animals in useless experiments to collect Gov.t funding.
The Nat.l Institutes of Health has announced that they will move all 106 of the Chimpanzees at the New Iberia Research Center to Chimp Haven, a federal Chimpanzee sanctuary in Keithville, Lousiana.
Source: Nyack C.
I urge the Government to take action immediately to replace the use of animals in research. Animal experiments are unreliable, unethical & unnecessary.
Become an Activist! We found five celebrities that have the power to change Proboscis Monkeys destiny.
Proboscis Monkeys can only live in Borneo and need large protected areas to survive. Borneo loses forests equivalent to an area of about a third of Switzerland every year, or at a rate of 3.2 million acres, much of it to feed the voracious appetite for timber in the West and Asia. Indonesia’s Forests are being destroyed at a rate of 4.9 million acres a year.
WWF official Proboscis Monkey Information http://proboscismonkey.org/wwf-official-proboscis-monkey-information/
Revoke the Imperial College London's Establishment License to stop harmful animal research!
164) New!! Pet.: Tell Vietnam Airlines- Stop Transporting Research Primates http://www.thepetitionsite.com/619/385/030/tell-vietman-airlines-stop-transporting-research-primates/#next_action
Target: Vietman Airlines - Thousands of Monkeys originating in countries such as Vietnam, Mauritius, China, Cambodia & Barbados as transported to the USA to research laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. In 2010, nearly 23,000 nonhuman Primates destined for research laboratories were bought into the USA.
Some are ripped from their family groups, & others are captive bred in cramped, inhumane Monkey farms. They are packed into small wooden crates & travel as cargo on passenger airlines where they can endure inadequate ventilation, noise, temperature fluctuations & delays en route as they are shipped on extremely long journey, & traumatized are before they even reach their final destination where they are tortured for research experiments. Tell Vietnam Airlines to stop cruel transportion of research Primates.
Source: Kazimierz K.
I ask you to sign the european initiative citizen and the petition also to increase the popularity and diffusion.
Is very important because the goal of a million signatures is very difficult to achieve.
Spread and share please!
Target: CEO of Air France
Goal: Demand Air France stop transporting Monkeys to be used for animal testing in laboratories
Air France is one of the “largest traffickers of Primates in the world,” transporting monkeys to laboratories all over the globe. Air France is one of the only major airlines that has not yet refused to transport Monkeys to be used for animal testing. The animals endure a painful journey before arriving at a laboratory where they will be used for testing until they are killed.
These Monkeys are captured from the wild & taken from their families before being stuffed into a small, dark crate & shipped across the world. They then reach their destination at a testing laboratory, where the worst part of their suffering will occur. They will be used to test all kinds of products, from vaccines or medicines to makeup or shampoo….
Source: Katka O.
Ay yi yi, those poor chimps! I did email the R & R group at the end of signing. On the page on which they ask us if we want the petition printed or emailed, they had the doctor's name and the Institute...however they left a "t" out of institute. In my experience, not a good idea to have faulty proofreading on that kind of document; especially when it's the name of the place you're sending a petition to! Anyway, caught up.
Release elder Chimpanzees in U.S. laboratories!!!
Sign the Project R&R Petition to the Director of the Nat.l Institutes of Health (NIH), Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D. The NIH is the top Gov.t institution who oversees the federally funded facilities that hold the oldest known chimpanzees in research. Please ask Dr. Collins to immediately release the elder chimpanzees into permanent sanctuary so that they may enjoy their remaining years, months, or even days in the relative peace & freedom of sanctuary before they die.
Canada is home to the Fauna Foundation—the only Chimpanzee sanctuary in Canada–& the 1st sanctuaries to rescue Chimpanzees from U.S. laboratories, & the 1st sanctuary to accept HIV-infected Chimpanzees. Citizens of Canada can continue this tradition of helping Chimpanzees by signing the petition to prohibit Research on Chimpanzees in Canada—adding Canada to the growing list of countries like Belgium, Balearic Islands, Austria, Japan, Australia, Sweden, the Netherlands, New Zealand & the UK that have already banned or limited the use of Chimpanzees in research.
Project R&R’s investigations (as well as information from Canadian animal protection groups) have turned up only 2 recent studies involving Chimpanzees, which likely rely on the use of biological samples from the U.S. However, in the absence of a country-wide ban, it is possible that private companies may be using Chimpanzees or that the use of biological samples from U.S. Chimpanzees could be more prevalent than known. To date, there is no indication that living Chimpanzees are currently being used in Canadian research. However, complete info. is not available.
While other nations have enacted bans & limitations on the use of Chimpanzees & other Great Apes in research, the U.S. remains the single largest user of Chimpanzees in the world.
Project R&R works for the release & restitution of all Chimpanzees in U.S. labs. In solidarity with U.S. efforts, organizations & individuals from countries around the globe can help. Please sign the following action items & show your support today! Thank you.
Chimpanzees are humankind's closest genetic relative, sharing 98% of our DNA. An estimated 1,000 Chimpanzees are currently held in U.S. laboratories, of which some 735 are Gov.t owned or supported.
Watch Video!! Release Chimpanzees http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROOtB1dlfQQ&feature=player_embedded
For decades Chimpanzees have suffered & died in U.S. laboratories – unnecessarily.
Chimpanzee research to benefit human health has proven unnecessary & unproductive.
Chimpanzees deserve release from laboratories & restitution in sanctuary.
Monkeys are dangerous, wild animals that have their place in the wilderness - and no pets. Monkeys are very intelligent animals with complex emotional & physical needs & abilities. Keeping Monkeys as pets affects their well-being.
Help allow Chimpanzees to roam peacefully in a sanctuary rather than in medical research warehouses!! Sign the petition today!!!
Please sign the petition asking the Director General of the International Union for Conservation of Nature to find a solution to the impending Spider Monkey extinction.
I would like to protest against the Malaysian Gov.t's decision to kill up to 100,000 Macaque per year. These mass killings are not only shockingly cruel, they're also unsustainable. At this rate, this fascinating & unique species in Malaysia could be extinct within a decade. There are better alternatives to reduce conflicts between humans & monkeys in urban areas. These include public education, better waste disposal & contraception in Macaques. Such measures were already used with success in Hong Kong & Singapore. I urge you to put an end to this destruction of Malaysia wildlife promptly.
signed # 147/148/149
Restoring the original Animal Welfare Act will protect rats, mice, & birds will eliminate poorly conducted scientific experiments and testing. This will improve science, bolster the economy in the long-term, and stop taxpayers from funding wasteful research. Please contact your Senators & tell them to support House bill (HR 6693) restore the original intent of the Animal Welfare Act (AWA). SOURCE: http://aldf.org/article.php?id=2280
Air France is one of the largest traffickers of Primates in the world. The airline claims to be "making the sky the best place on Earth" - so why does it continue to ship terrified monkeys to laboratories to face imprisonment & torture?
Huntingdon Life Science is Europe's most exposed animal testing laboratory & have been filmed cutting open Monkeys while still alive, punching animals in the face, falsifying experimental test data & flouting regulations on a regular basis. As a company that claims to achieve excellence & reliability in drug research, I am surprised to learn that you contract experiments inside a laboratory that has had their license revoked & exposed falsifying test data for clients. I would like to use this opportunity to request that you cease your contracts with this horrendous laboratory & invest in more reliable sources of data research.
Target: President Barack Obama - The European Union is set to ban sale of animal tested cosmetics from March 11 this year. This ban will include toothpaste & shampoo. Earlier this year, Israel also passed a ban on animal testing. It is now time for the US to ban animal testing on cosmetics. 94% of all animal testing is done for the sake of makeup, toiletries & household cleansers. This needless torture which involves burning, blinding, maiming & killing dogs, cats, bunnies & mice is absolutely unconscionable & must end. We can’t call ourselves a humane nation until we stop these institutionalized practices of animal cruelty.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3549267
Goal: Cut funding that goes towards cruel experimentation on Primates - At the University of Minnesota, drug-addicted Primates are currently dying slow & painful deaths in small cages. These intelligent mammals are subjected to cruel testing & experiments so that scientists can research the effects of drug-addiction. Scientists forcibly train these Primates to self-administer drugs by withholding food from them until they take the drug. Victims of this depraved research suffer from addiction & withdrawal symptoms including seizures, loss of muscle coordination, trouble breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, heart-attacks, strokes, hallucinations, & even death. Many are euthanized when they are found to be too unruly or too sick to be useful for the experiments anymore!!
Target: Christina Aguilera & her partners at Proctor & Gamble
Animal test subjects undergo painful procedures such as being repeatedly injected with substances to determine how fatal they are. For fragrance animal testing, animals are usually shaved & smeared with various chemical concoctions to see what sorts of skin reactions occur. Many experience painful rashes & scabs & are often killed in the process. The USA no longer requires animal testing for cosmetic & beauty products, which indicates that companies who continue to conduct tests on animals are doing so by choice, likely to save money.
Christina Aguilera is a pop icon & her product lines are extremely popular. Consumers deserve to know the truth about these products. Ask Christina Aguilera to stop testing on animals for her fragrance line.Nicole W.: http://www.care2.com/news/member/740190243/3530305
Thousands of Monkeys originating from breeding farms in China are shipped to North America to be used in Research Laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. They are ripped from their family groups, packed into small wooden crates & travel as cargo of passenger airlines where they can endure inadequate ventilation, noise, temperature fluctuations & delays en route as they are shipped on extremely long journey for research experiments across the Pacific Ocean. Other Chinese airlines have banned the transport of non-human primates. China Eastern Airlines is now the only Chinese airlines still engaged in the cruel trade of transporting Primates for research. Urge China Eastern Airlines to ban Primate shipments on their aircraft. Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3526166
The Rep. of the Congo recently declared a new Nat.l Park that will protect numerous crucial animal populations including Gorillas & Elephants. The park deserves our praise. There are currently 4 known Sub-Species of Gorilla: Mountain Gorillas, Eastern Lowland Gorillas, Western Lowland Gorillas & Cross River Gorillas: all Critically Endangered. Ntokou-Pikounda Nat.l Park, covers 4,572 sq. kilometers (1,765 sq. miles) & contains an estimated 15,000 Gorillas, 800 Elephants, & 950 Chimpanzees. Over 11% of the nat.l territory is protected by nat.l parks, one of the most significant conservation efforts in the world. In 2008 the Wildlife Conservation Service discovered a population of some 125,000 Western Lowland Gorillas, & the 15,000 within Ntokou-Pikounda are the core population of this group, ensuring the survival of the Species. Gorillas in the area are in constant danger as the result of being hunted for bushmeat & the persistent spread of the Ebola virus. The WCS has been actively working to develop vaccinations for Ebola & also to find alternative food sources for those groups of people who rely on hunting them for sustenance. Pls thank the Republic of the Congo for its continued effort to save vital & endangered species from further decline & hardship. Their persistent commitment to conservation should be an example for the rest of the world.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3526163
138) New!! Action: Maternal Deprivation at UW-Madison http://www.uwnotinourname.org/history-of-maternal-deprivation-at-uw-madison.html
…investigated learning in Rhesus Monkeys: to damage parts of their brains & then test their learning ability & report the results in articles like: “The effect of large cortical lesions on learned behavior in monkeys”(brain injuries)… …take baby rhesus monkeys from their mothers at birth & put them in a cage with a cloth-covered surrogate mother & a surrogate made of wire. A bottle of infant formula attached to the wire mother. A baby rhesus monkey prefers a cloth surrogate even if his or her food is provided by a wire surrogate. Infants removed from their mothers quickly developed abnormal behaviors. The deprivation of maternal care & the deprivation of normal social contact with other monkeys were determined to be reliable ways to create chronically anxious & fearful experimental subjects.In addition to signing the pledge, call or write the UW System President & let him know you are withholding your support until these cruel experiments are ended.
Left: The Vertical Chamber, or the Well of Despair. Young monkeys placed in this device, a deep metal pit with sloping sides, developed profound depression very quickly & spent most of their time huddled in the bottom of the well
132) New!! Pet.: Tell The Ticket Clinic to Drop Its Cruel Chimpanzee Ad https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=4555
The law firm The Ticket Clinic is airing an ad featuring the company's owner, Mark Gold, holding a young chimpanzee who is wearing a suit. Chimpanzees & other Great Apes used for entertainment are taken away from their mothers shortly after birth, which traumatizes both mother & baby & deprives the infants of their most critical social & emotional needs. As the young apes grow, trainers typically subject them to physical & psychological abuse in order to ensure that they will perform confusing, unnatural behaviors on cue. By the time apes reach approximately 8 years of age, they are too strong to be safely handled & are often discarded at wretched roadside zoos or other substandard facilities. Chimpanzees can live into their 60s, so life after "retirement" from the entertainment industry often means decades spent in appalling conditions, sometimes in solitary confinement. A number of companies, including Great Clips, Pizza Factory, Pfizer, Dodge, & Capital One, recently pulled ads featuring Chimpanzees after learning about this issue, & they immediately pledged never to feature apes in future ads.Video: Ticket Clinic Chimp Commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2U5OpUkJ0
It’s time for Corporations to start paying for their actions by having consumers stop paying for their products. For a full listing of Procter&Gamble’s products, go to http://www.pg.com/en_US/brands/index.shtml. Let’s stand together & either shut this toxic corporation down, or force it to change its corrupt business practices. All we have to do is educate ourselves on what products Procter&Gamble manufacturers, & then pledge not to buy them.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3520621
126) New!! Pet.: Congratulate Airline for Stopping the Shipment of Primates for Animal Testing http://forcechange.com/52230/congratulate-airline-for-stopping-the-shipment-of-primates-for-animal-testing/
Target: United Airlines President - Thank United Airlines for its decision to no longer ship Primates to labs that conduct animal testing!
124) New!! Pet.: Stop the creation of a research center for vivisection in Lugo (Spain) http://www.change.org/it/petizioni/stop-the-creation-of-a-research-center-for-vivisection-in-lugo-spain With an investment of nearly 3.5 million euros, all public funds (70% of funding from European funds & 30% ERDF funding regional, provincial & local), this new laboratory will use all kinds of animals for "research biomedical also serve as a focal point for the pharmaceutical industry”. Electric shock, burns, heart attack caused, renal failure, surgery without anesthesia, asphyxia, amputations or inhaled gases are some of the atrocities that are inflicted on dogs, cats, primates, rodents... The results of animal research are not 100% applicable to humans &, secondly, several alternatives have been developed more effective & respectful of everyone's life.
United Airlines is involved with transporting nonhuman Primates destined for use in research laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. Packed into small wooden crates & travel as cargo in the holds on passenger airlines, Monkeys can endure inadequate ventilation, noise, temperature fluctuations & delays en route as they are shipped on extremely long journey for research experiments.
Other major airlines, incl. Air Canada, Air China, American, Delta, Lufthansa, British Airways, Virgin Atlantic & many others have already abandoned this cruel practice. Urge United Airlines to stop transporting Primates for research.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3510430
Tu esfuerzo y gran labor merece todo nuestro reconocimiento, querida Michela.
Eres una gran persona.
1000's of NYU laboratory animals died during Hurricane Sandy- they were left in basement laboratories to drown. During disasters which involve power failure, laboratory animals die of heat stroke, fire & drowning with no means to escape. Animals are simply abandoned like expendable equipment. The research facility clearly violated the Animal Welfare Act by failing to provide the availability of emergency, weekend, & holiday care- instead left the animals to die trapped in basement laboratories. We ask that NYU Langone Medical Center & School of Medicine stop using research animals at the facility & shift from animal experiments to in-vitro tests, human-based studies, & other modern scientific methods.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3497856
109 thru 116 all signed Michela for the news and videos
116) New!! Pet.: Air India Backtracks, Flies Animals to Labs http://action.petaasiapacific.com/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=110&ea.campaign.id=17497
Earlier this year, PETA India contacted Air India to urge the company to stop transporting animals to laboratories to be used in experiments. After a face-to-face meeting, Air India promised in writing that it would refuse requests to transport animals to laboratories. But now, because of pressure from animal experimenters, Air India has backtracked on the ban & resumed shipping animals for use in cruel laboratory experiments.
In one recent experiment in India, male beagles had their legs cut open so that transmitters could be inserted into them, had tubes forced into their penises, & were repeatedly injected with experimental drugs. Young dogs in Indian laboratories are commonly poisoned to death in toxicity tests after being force-fed chemicals for months on end. Many leading international airlines have full or partial restrictions on shipping animals to laboratories. Just among the Int.l Air Transportation Association's list of the world's 10 largest cargo carriers, FedEx, UPS, Cathay Pacific, Korean Airlines, & EVA Air prohibit any shipments of animals for experiments; Emirates, Singapore Airlines, & China Airlines won't ship Primates to laboratories; & Lufthansa has banned shipments of cats, dogs, & primates destined for laboratories. Pls tell Air India that you won't fly with the airline so long as it transports animals for use in experiments & urge authorities to bring back the ban now.
Target: Health and Human Services - Today, there are over 900 Chimpanzees in laboratories. Only 10-20% of them are actually being used in active research. The rest are held captive in cramped laboratory cages simply for financial gain. Pls ensure that these intelligent creatures are allowed to retire in safe sanctuaries where they can spend the rest of their lives in peace. Take Billy Jo as an example. He lived in a laboratory for 14 years, enduring 289 dart shots filled with anesthetics. He has suffered through HIV infections, liver biopsies, & many more horrific acts, which, in the end, had no benefit to human welfare or scientific knowledge. Years of psychological, emotional, & physical torture made him sick & depressed. He was finally rescued when the laboratory veterinarian realized that Billy Jo could not take any more suffering. However, there are many more Chimpanzees that are not as “lucky.” When Billy Jo was finally rescued & put in a sanctuary, he lived there happily for 9 years – waving at visitors, creating artwork, eating fruits, & enjoying the freedom that he never had before. Chimpanzees are highly intelligent & emotional living beings that deserve the freedom & right to live in a safe, healthy, & happy environment. Pls ensure that these laboratory Chimpanzees are given a fair retirement & safe haven.
The suffering of Chimpanzees & other animals used for research is not limited to what goes on in actual experiments. Their day-to-day existence in a laboratory is traumatic in itself. Chimpanzees experience ongoing mental & physical suffering from the endless boredom, confinement, & fear & stress of daily laboratory life. Former employees at Yerkes say that Wenka suffers from severe stress. She can be seen rocking back & forth, & is said to have a 1000 mile stare. Wenka has endured enough abuse in the name of science. After 57 years in a cell, & only a few remaining years left, Wenka deserves to be at peace in a Chimpanzee sanctuary.
Source: Evelyn Rees
Target: Idaho Judiciary System Goal: Prosecute the intruders who broke into zoo and killed one of the Monkeys
During a break-in at Zoo Boise in Idaho, 2 intruders killed a male Patas Monkey through blunt force trauma to the head & neck. The monkey was a favorite among many of the children that visited the zoo. On the night of the break in, the Patas monkey’s distress call alerted a security guard. The guard investigated, & found 2 males fleeing from the primate exhibit. Unfortunately, by that time the monkey had already been fatally injured. The Monkey died several hours later despite the zoo veterinarian’s best attempts to save him. The situation is especially tragic because the remaining Patas Monkey is the only one of his Species at the zoo. Zoo Boise will have to send the remaining Monkey to another zoo. Monkeys are highly social animals, & it would be inhumane to keep the remaining monkey without a companion. Unfortunately, there are remarkably few Patas monkeys in captivity, so finding the monkey a new home will be difficult.
Despite police investigation, the 2 intruders have not been caught. Since nothing was stolen, &no other animals were injured, the intruders’ motivation is unclear. It is shocking to the police & zoo staff that anyone would want to harm the animals. Ask that the intruders be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law upon their capture. This is a senseless crime that has left one animal dead, & another without a home or his long-time companion.Source: Evelyn R.
Target: Air France-KLM, CEO - Thousands of monkeys originating in countries such as Mauritius, China, Vietnam, Cambodia & Barbados are transported by Air France to Europe & the USA to research laboratories to suffer cruel & inhumane experiments. They are ripped from their family groups, packed into small wooden crates & travel as cargo in the holds on passenger airlines where they can endure inadequate ventilation, noise, temperature fluctuations & delays en route as they are shipped on extremely long journey for research experiments. Air France is now the only major European passenger airline still engaged in the cruel trade of transporting Primates for research. Urge Air France to stop transporting Primates for research.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3485770
Target: The Director of the Nat.l Inst. of Health; Goal: Ensure all sick Chimpanzees retired from federal research centers are allowed to live out the rest of their days at sanctuaries
The U.S. remains the only industrialized nation in the world to use live Chimpanzees in invasive research experiments. While the Nat.l Institutes of Health’s (NIH) decision to retire 110 federally owned Chimpanzees from invasive experiments at first seemed like a victory for these intelligent & beautiful creatures, the actual fate of most of these animals can hardly be considered retirement at all. Only 10 Chimpanzees released from the New Iberia Research Center in Lafayette, Louisiana will be sent to a sanctuary to live out their final years in peace. The other 100 are currently doomed to spend their last days at the Texas Biomedical Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas, where they may still be used as subjects in non-invasive research. These Chimpanzees have already lived through a lifetime of mistreatment & torture–much of it ultimately unnecessary to the development of science & medicine. Many are already afflicted with chronic illnesses like epilepsy & renal failure. They aren’t the only sick animals doomed to spend their final years being probed & abused by human scientists. A new study published in the journal Alternatives to Laboratory Animals reveals that 64% of Chimpanzees who die in research facilities suffer from severe chronic illnesses for years before they finally succumb to them. Research scientists should know better than to force sick animals to remain in laboratories where they will be of little or no use to scientific study. Institute new policies that will allow all sick laboratory Chimpanzees to retire to sanctuaries, not private research facilities!Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3484712
109) New!! Pet.: The Monkeys of Mauritius need your Help NOW!! http://saveourmonkeys.mu/eng/takeaction
Video: Cruel Mauritius monkey trade in Mauritius http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng2rb4ef7n4&feature=player_embedded
Mauritius exports up to 10,000 monkeys a year to laboratories around the world. The monkeys will suffer & die in experiments in the USA & Europe. Wild Monkeys are torn from their jungle homes & families. Mauritius is the world's 2nd largest exporter of Monkeys. The BUAV exposes the terrible plight of the Monkeys on Mauritius, exported around the world for the Int.l Research Industry.
Video: (Disturbing images!!) BUAV reveals monkey slaughter in Mauritius research breeding farm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3t5MPJ-5qk
Source: Anneke A.
Watch Video: Animal Testing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWgoxbIzFhc&feature=player_embedded
L'Oreal is the 2nd largest Cosmetic Co. in the world today & the maker of some of my favorite products. However, myself & millions of others refuse to purchase anything tainted with the blood of innocents. Can we stop & think for one second about the increase in income L'Oreal would receive upon adopting cruelty free methods?! Animal rights is the LARGEST social justice issue since the abolition of slavery, so if you for one second think that the animal lovers of the world have no effect on profits, think again. We will not stop until you do!Cal: http://www.care2.com/news/member/193692282/3475671
Target: The President of U.S.A, The Prime Minister of The U.K
I am calling on the leaders of our Countries to ban all animal testing, to strengthen animal rights laws and to make a world treaty on animal rights.Source: Martina Z.
leave Bundesland: blank ; Stadt: your City, Country (It’s accepted even if you are not German)
The Animal Welfare Act provides: animal tests should only be performed if it does not have animal-free methods, the test applications and are ethically acceptable. The collected signatures will be handed over to policy makers expected during the parliamentary consultations on the implementation of the EU Directive on animal experiments.
The Nat.l Institute of Health (NIH) revealed that they will be retiring 110 Chimpanzees from a Louisiana research center in an attempt to help end animal testing. While 10 of the Chimps will be moved to a nearby sanctuary, the other 100 will be moved to another Research Institute in Texas. There, the chimps will be ineligible for testing or research, but will be permitted to take part in any behavioral studies. The lucky 10 chimpanzees en route to the sanctuary, Chimp Haven, will no longer have to suffer through animal testing. Even with the retiring of these Chimpanzees, The New Iberia Research Center still houses 200 privately owned Chimps & thousands of other monkeys. This number will hopefully deteriorate, as the USDA is conducting an ongoing investigation of the facility. By next year, NIH will cut off all funding to New Iberia, & slowly the research center should shrink. This move is certainly in the right direction for the elimination of animal testing, but there is still much to do, as more & more monkeys are being exposed to various diseases (click) for the benefit of humans. Support the Great Ape Protection & Cost Savings Act which will gradually cut down federally funded research on Chimpanzees.
85) New!! Pet.: Air France Flies Primates To Experimentation Labs http://www.kinshipcircle.org/action_center/letter_new3.asp?LetterID=1986#autoletter Air France-KLM is the only major European carrier to still ship Primates for research. We ask both companies to acknowledge worldwide objection to Primate "cargo." Consider that 80% of responders to a 2010 European Directive about animal research oppose experiments on Primates. In the U.S., an Institute Of Medicine report has fueled potential passage of a bill to ban most research on Chimps & Great Apes. Primate data can rarely be replicated or used reliably in drug/vaccine development. Primates fail to produce clinical symptoms relevant to human disease processes & even mislead experimenters with false conclusions.
Monkeys in Cambodia destined for factory farms that supply the global research trade
13) Tell Bristol-Myers Squibb to Stop Testing on Animals!
Be a voice for the animals suffering in Bristol-Myers Squibb laboratories. Urge Bristol-Myers Squibb CEO Lamberto Andreotti to implement the recommendations outlined by PETA in a recently submitted shareholder resolution immediately.
Signed. Thanks Michela. Why do these schools keep using animals when there are more accurate cruelty-free test procedures?
All signed and noted!! Thank you!
In response to: Another experiment adds to the ever-mounting evidence that humans aren’t special at all. Actually humans ARE special!! Special in the fact that we are the only animals on the planet who are greedy, materialistic, purposefully destroy the planet, watch our OWN SPECIES die of hunger and dehydration and do nothing about it, and much, much more (negative) things. So yeah, just TRY and tell ME I am not special!!
It seems to me scientists are often behind the times. Of course animals have their own language.
We have a cat to which we talk a lot. And ... it miaows to us. We have real conversations, which surprised the vets my husband went to last week. The cat miaowed , my husband talked to it and when it felt good enough, it started purring.
No doubt apes can communicate and have their own language.
Noted the news and signed the petitions with personal comments. And I love all the photos!!!
Michela all your animal photos are so touching and lovely. Thanks for sharing them.
Send a Green Star to Michela M.
You cannot currently send a star to Michela because you have done so within the last week.
Target: Air China; Goal: Stop the inhumane transport of Monkeys from China to the USA
Air China remains one of the few major Airlines that still transports Monkeys via airplane. These animals are often taken from their natural environments to be shipped the long distance to laboratories in the USA where they are used as research subjects. Other Monkeys are bred in captivity for their entire lives, living in cramped factory farms, raised only to be used in experiments.
Air China has been cited 4 times this year alone for violating United States animal welfare laws. Clearly, they do not care about the state of these animals. The long flights can often be traumatizing for the Monkeys, who are crammed in small wooden crates & transported in the cargo holds of planes. Monkeys are highly intelligent creatures & share the same feelings of fear, boredom, depression & loneliness that humans do. It is unfair to treat our fellow beings this way & subject them to such conditions.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3412294
I really see no reason at all why a chimp had to be killed. It should have been tranquilized. To me, the dangerous one is certainly not the chimp.
Thank you for the wonderufl video. Of course we consume much too much, we destroy our planet in many different ways... Jane Goodall awakens people's awareness in a wonderful way.
Jane's journey-trailer is absolutely heart-warming. It really makes you feel close to apes.
I can hghly recommend Jane's Journey having watched it at a special viewing in Amsterdam attented by Jane Goodall.
Target: United Airlines CEO Jeffrey Smisek
Goal: Don’t bow to pressure to ship research animals from the Biotech Industry & Continental Airlines
United Airlines has always refused to ship research animals, such as Primates, in their planes. But their recent merger with Continental Airlines, as well as pressure from the Biotech Industry, has them reconsidering their policy. Tell United Airlines to stand strong & refuse to take any part in the brutal (& USELESS) practice of animal testing.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3404481
6,565 Signatures - We request that you use the considerable influence of the Nat.l Institutes of Health (NIH) to ensure that the 15 young Chimpanzees used at BIOQUAL, Inc., in Rockville, Md., are released to a sanctuary. We request the 11 Chimpanzees who were leased by NIH & housed a BIOQUAL until recently to be transferred from New Iberia Research Center, Louisiana, to Sanctuary & the 4 remaining Chimpanzees, being housed at BIOQUAL, Inc, be transferred directly to sanctuary.
These Chimpanzees, collectively known as the Rockville 15, range in age from just 2 to 7 years old & were likely born in violation of NIH's own 1995 breeding moratorium.
Considering that they are unnecessary for human health research, as detailed in the recent Institute of Medicine report, they should be released to sanctuary where it is cheaper for you to house them, & a much better environment for these Chimpanzees to live. They must not live out their days in a laboratory that has repeatedly violated the Animal Welfare Act.
Source: RC W.
Up to date on petitions.
Here's a site to click to Feed Orphaned Chimps and Save the Rainforest
3 Big Oil Companies–Soco, Total, & Ophir Energy planning to begin oil extraction in Virunga National Park in the Dem. Republic of Congo. These plans entail seismic tests, forest clearing, underground drilling, installation of oil pipelines, & significant human presence. The proposed areas allocated to oil concessions cover 85% of the park’s land. All of these factors would be harmful to the vast & diverse wildlife that inhabits the park.
More individual Species live in Virunga National Park than almost any other place in the world: more than 200 mammal Species, 22 kinds of Primates, 700 types of Birds; many Endangered Species: Chimpanzees, Hippos, Forest Elephants, & Mountain Gorillas (only 786 individuals remain in the Dem.Rep.of Congo, Uganda, & Rwanda). Some of these Species live exclusively in Virunga National Park, such as the rare & beautiful Okapi, the forest giraffe. Funds raised by Mountain Gorilla ecotourism are used to pay for conservation efforts & local community projects. 30,000 local residents make their livelihoods from fishing in the park. In addition to harming wildlife, damaging the park with oil extraction could cause socio-economic tension & crime. The Dem. Rep. of the Congo has outlawed environmentally harmful activities in protected areas, which include Virunga National Park. The Ministry of the Environment has ordered the suspension of oil exploration efforts while they conduct an environmental assessment of potential damage.Cher: http://www.care2.com/news/member/100041282/3396531
S U C C E S S!!!!! 59) Closed Petition: Boycott El-Al AirLines, transporter of Mazor Farm monkeys to Hell http://www.thepetitionsite.com/594/712/510/boycott-el-al-airlines-transporter-of-mazor-farm-monkeys-to-hell/
S U C C E S S!!!!! 19.6.2012 http://www.facebook.com/ShutDownMazorFarm After a 5,482 Signatures Petition signatures & tens of thousands of emails, facebook messages & phone calls, El-Al has publicly announced that it will immediately & permanently refrain from flying any monkeys for experimentation purposes. We would like to congratulate El-Al for its decision. We are terminating the boycott, while keeping one eye open wide and watching, as we would like to make it clear that the true and only test is whether El-Al keeps its promise.
…June 12th 2012: El-Al Airlines (Israel) announced its intention, under the excuse of previous contractual obligations, to revert back to providing air transport services to Mazor Farm, the infamous monkeys breeding farm selling Macaque monkeys to horribly cruel experiments in laboratories around the world. El-Al has not only chosen an immoral & unacceptable path, it also violated its public announcement as of September 2010, not to transport any animals for experimentation purposes as an official policy (joining the vast majority of airlines in the world).
Source: Magdalena J.
58) New!! Help Stop the Return of Maternal Deprivation Studies to UW-Madison
Since my first Thesis at the Interpreters' School, prepared on the Texts of the American Embassy Library in Rome, I was horrified by this kind of “Scientific(??)” Experiments!!! That occurred in 1969!!!! ARE WE STEPPING BACKWARDS????!!!! Michela
Maternal deprivation -- crushing a monkey’s spirit by raising him or her without a nurturing caregiver -- was invented & promoted by UW-Madison’s Harry Harlow & his students in the 1970s & 80s. Harlow’s experiments with maternal deprivation are widely acknowledged as being profoundly cruel. We must work together to prevent the return of the infamous Harry Harlow maternal deprivation studies that included rearing infant macaques in isolation chambers for up to 24 months, from which they emerged severely disturbed. This is a giant moral step backwards!!
Isolated monkeys show severe persistent psychopathological behaviors similar to those seen in autistic children.
Oh Dear Mic! It is quite hard to keep up with you! Think I am up-to-date...always get the ones on the news stories I note, but your video and photos are just so SPECIAL. Gives me Wet eyes!
You work so tirelessly and while I think I am doing a great job signing petitions I come here and am extremely HUMBLE to see all of your Hard work!
Sadly, Hun, I can't star you right now, but you DESERVE ALL OF THE STARS IN THE HEAVENS for all that you do!
Thank you so very much!
Thank you Michela for reminding us that we all have mothers and that we are all related.
thru 52 signed! As for #53, my representatives in govt support anti-vivisection legislation so i need not convince them -- in addition, the petition itself did not show up -- probably because i need to be registered with site -- at present, do not have time to register -- made note to register with them in near future.
Signed 3 more. Watched the Jane Goodall video
Here's a link to the lecture she gave at Leyden (Leiden) University in the Netherlands which I attented:
53) New!! U.S. Only: Take A Stand for Chimps!
By the American Anti-Vivisection Society: Ask Your Senators to Co-sponsor the Great Ape Protection and Cost Savings Act
50) New!! U.S. only!! Tell Congress to End Chimpanzee Experiments Chimpanzees, humans' closest living genetic relatives, are extremely social, intelligent individuals who have rich mental & emotional lives. They have incredible memories, they share cultural traditions that are passed down through generations, they care deeply for their families & friends, & they grieve the loss of their loved ones when they pass away.
Video: America's War on Chimpanzees
Dr. Jane Goodall is my hero! She should be on the list of every influential person of the last century!
Thank you for all the tremendous info, Michela. It will take awhile for me to sort through it all, but appreciate the opp to do so.
#37 - 47 gladly signed Michela. Fabulous Pictures and Videos!!!
I like what Jane Goodall said above "If we kill off the wild, then we are killing a part of our souls".
Chimpanzees and gorillas deserve our respect and our protection. They are not objects we can torture in laboratories or use as pets.
Please Help Robby, a 37 year old Chimpanzee to be free!!! He must undergo medical care. PeTA is asking the Circus to let him free, for his first time, and to have the opportunity to be a.. Chimpanzee, at last!! he deserves it!!
I have read quite a lot of petitions and I am amazed at the number of tortures, ill-treatments and various abuses monkeys in general are victim of. This is simply incredible, unbelievably cruel. We have almost the same DNA as them but we behave as if they were mere objects, to use and throw away. It's time man learnt to respect them.
Wowie ~ Thank you! Michela for getting all of this information out there, photos, news, videos, and petitions. Ya caught me on a couple of them, but NOW ALL Up-To-Date!!! Hugs to you for all of your heard work in providing all of this information for people to just come one place and take care of what needs to be done for our creatures, environment and also learn information!
Ban invasive research on great apes, including Chimpanzees, Bonobos, Gorillas, and Orangutans.
There are only 2 countries in the world that conduct invasive research on Chimpanzees: the central African Nation of Gabon and the lone remaining geopolitical (arguably global) Superpower, the United States.Source: Vicynthia T.
38) New!! US only!! S. 1324: Captive Primate Safety Act
This bill would prohibit Interstate Commerce in Monkeys, Apes & other Primates in the exotic "pet" trade.
Makes it unlawful for a person to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase a live animal of any prohibited wildlife species in interstate or foreign commerce (i.e., for pet trade purposes). Sets forth exceptions to such prohibition, including, under certain conditions, for: (1) transporting a nonhuman primate to or from a veterinarian, (2) transporting a nonhuman primate to a legally designated caregiver as a result of the death of the preceding owner, and (3) transporting a single primate of the genus Cebus that was obtained from & trained by a charitable organization to assist a permanently disabled individual with a severe mobility impairment. Sets forth civil and criminal penalties for violations of the requirements of this Act.
Source: Raymond G.
Well I finally got some time to catch up and all petitions signed. All the pictures each tell a story, some so sad and others so wonderful. Thank You Michela for all that you are doing in defense of the Chimpanzees. You truly are an inspiration.
This post was modified from its original form on 03 Mar, 19:13
I have signed all these here and elsewhere. I have not bought products tested on animals in decades (well, maybe a box or two of baking soda). There is no need yet lots of suffering.
Be a voice for the Monkeys who are suffering in the primate trade. Urge airlines that still transport monkeys to U.S. laboratories to join their peers by adopting a formal policy against the transportation of nonhuman Primates for use in experiments.Video: Imprisoned and Poisoned: A PETA Whistleblower Case
From: Martina Z.
Many are unaware of the suffering that comes with the products we pick up off of shelves every day. As you read this millions of cats, dogs, monkeys, rats and other animals are in small cages with eyes full of terror, lonely and waiting for a barbaric death. These animals become neurotic, swaying back and forth, spinning in circles and mutilating themselves. The sad part is, as far as testing for cosmetics goes, these animals are tortured for our superficiality. Each of our individual lives are abundant with choices that can either support or inhibit the tragic fate of these innocent animals.
In these labs animals are often skinned, blinded, suffer seizures, and have holes drilled into their skulls.
Signed all, noted,shared(Facebook, Twitter, Digg, My space)
Thank you Michela, for all you doing to help the animals
I am shame to say I am from human species, when you see what our species doing to other
This post was modified from its original form on 18 Feb, 18:19
Thank you Michela - went through the top and will have to return to get the bottom 4-5. Why don't they just leave these special creatures alone for Cotten Picken Sake! Mm
All 32 signed! This is so heartbreaking, there are no words to best describe....let's just make them STOP and give these animals the care and comfort they so deserve!
26) New!! Help Provide Captive Chimpanzees the Same Protections As Wild Ones
Since 1976 the Endangered Species Act has protected wild Chimpanzees, while captive Chimpanzees are excluded from the same protection. Not protecting captive Chimpanzees encourages the illegal trade of wild Chimpanzees, it is partly because of this that the population of chimpanzees around the world has been falling. We need to take action now and protect all Chimpanzees.
Wild chimpanzees are at risk for being captured and sold into captivity, where they are used for entertainment, pets, and product testing. This treatment is inhumane. The capture and captivity of wild Chimpanzees prevents the recovery of their Species. By including captive Chimpanzees in the Endangered Species Act we can help protect all Chimpanzees.
20) New!! Pet. Tell CareerBuilder to STOP Abusing Chimpanzees
Urge the company to follow the lead of other companies by agreeing to pull its ad campaign featuring Chimpanzees.
Please Don't Air Another Chimpanzee Ad!
Good News!! & Petition!!! You Did It: Air France Cancels Live Monkey Transport for Animal Testing!
Within 24 hours, you and others like you managed to generate 68,000 Emails, thousands of Facebook posts and tweets, and hundreds of calls. Thanks to your fast work and dedication, we are thrilled to confirm that Air France has cancelled plans to deliver these monkeys into the hands of experimenters!
This fantastic show of support proves once again that strength in numbers and coordinated actions can have a huge effect on Companies. From all of us at PETA, a huge “Thank you!” to everyone who helped stop this transport! We are now urging Air France to create a formal policy to prohibit future shipments of primates to labs.
With this victory so fresh, please Sign
Petition!!!: Use your voice to influence the Home Office not to weaken protection laws for animals in laboratories in future.
The European Union has just reviewed its law on animal experiments and the UK must as a result change our own law – a law that controls the fate of more than 3.5 million animals like Felix every year. PETA is working hard to gain as much for Primates and every other animal as we can. Felix's sad, lonely and needless death has to count for something. We must remember him as we work to help thousands like him.
A Macacque similar to Felix
PETA is calling on the UK Government to ensure that the UK's new law is as effective in protecting animals as possible. Please SIGN to the Home Office Minister responsible for animal experiments to ask her to bring in the most progressive and compassionate law she can.
Thanks Michela for sisitematic work, focusing on primates.
Specially stressing to hear about drilling in Gorila habitat. I tought it was
forbidden. Signing for our relatives.
11) New!! Ask Philippines Resort to Relinquish Chained Monkey Now!
A helpless Rhesus Macaque monkey named Frieda is chained to a pole between two trees without constant access to water and food or adequate protection from the elements. Light foliage is the only separation between her and the extreme weather conditions.
7) New!! Pet: Demand a Permanent Ban on Invasive Chimpanzee Research
In the past, scientists urged the use of chimps in labs since their genetic makeup is similar to humans. However, the Jane Goodall Institute has concluded that Chimps have proven to be poor models for human cell research because the differences in their DNA results in large differences in the behavior of diseases. These Chimps must face sickening tests while undergoing disease research which includes tubes being forced down chimps’ throats for experimental drugs to be pumped into their stomachs; infant monkeys being ripped away from their mothers in order to record the psychological trauma done to these social animals when left alone at a young age; holes drilled into their skulls for electrodes to be placed on their brains; and many other disgusting attempts at understanding humans. Research has shown that 90% of chimps in labs display depression, anxiety, and self-mutilation after suffering physical and psychological abuse and social isolation.
The U.S. military confirmed they will be ending their cruel monthly training experiments on apes that included exposure to anthrax, botulism, bubonic plague, & nerve agents.
Chimpanzees 1) U.S. only!! SupportTheGreat ApeProtection&CostSavingsAct
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoWs8qVESdE (also Orangutans are kept in prisons)
2) Cruelty free beauty Chimpanzees used also