UPDATE on Food Safety Bill! March 02, 2006 3:43 PM
You are making a difference!
Earlier this week we asked you to urge your member of Congress to vote NO on the National Uniformity for Food Act (H.R. 4167). Last night Congress announced that they would delay voting on this measure for another week.
Thirty-seven attorneys general from across the country have now called on Congress to defeat this bill because it will “strip state governments of the ability to protect their residents through state laws and regulations relating to the safety of food and food packaging.” (pdf)
Thank you for already writing to your representative. Now we need you to do more to keep up the pressure. Please CALL your member of Congress today and remind them of the importance of this vote! We have already heard encouraging feedback from our activists that some representatives are starting to rethink their position on this bill.
Your representative: Dave Obey
Phone number: (202) 225-3365
Click here to see if your member of Congress is a cosponsor of this bill.
Please use the following points when making your call, but use your own words as much as possible. Be polite and concise.
- My name is -----and I am a voter in Representative ----- district. My address is ______________.
- If your representative is a cosponsor:
I am calling to urge Representative ---- to immediately withdraw from being a cosponsor and vote no on H.R. 4167.
- If your representative is NOT a cosponsor:
I am calling to urge Representative Obey to vote no on H.R. 4167.
- H.R. 4167 would undercut the role of state and local governments and reduce food safety laws to the federal government's "uniform" lowest common denominator.
- According to a bipartisan group of 37 state attorneys general, the bill’s provision to allow states to petition for greater food safety standards is “slow, expensive, and uncertain, and certainly is no substitute for allowing states their traditional role of taking action on their own to protect consumers.”
- States and local governments have helped consumers like me by addressing gaps in federal standards, ensuring safer food and providing consumers with important label information.
- As a consumer, I want more information about the food I buy for myself and my family, not less.
- Please protect the health of my family and the safety of the food we eat by voting no on H.R. 4167.
- I will be closely watching the outcome of this vote.
Please email us to let us know what response you received.
The Union of Concerned Scientists relies on individuals like you
to support our research and advocacy.
Join us to promote practical, science-based environmental and security solutions.
We are committed to protecting your privacy, your email address will NEVER be sold or exchanged.
[ send green star]