START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
This thread is archived. To reply to it you must re-activate it.
The Great Southern Ocean Whaling Ship Chase - Day Eight - The Chase Continues March 03, 2008 6:05 AM

Sunday, March 02, 2008 The Great Southern Ocean Whaling Ship Chase - Day Eight - The Chase Continues Pouncing on the Slaughterhouse in the Frozen Southern Mist February 23rd to March 2nd, 2008 Report from Captain Paul Watson Onboard the Steve Irwin Penetrating deep into the Southern Ocean we passed the 65 Degree South line and continued onwards. All the ship's officers and crew were very much aware of the danger we were moving towards. The weather is getting increasingly nasty, each day nastier than the day before. The ice floes filling most of Porpoise Bay are fast and solid and steadily sending out assaults of bergs and growlers. At the speed we need to maintain to pursue the whalers, hitting one of those solid cobalt blue chunks of iron hard ice could punch a hole into our steel hull. It had happened to a tourist ship a few months before and they were in waters less dangerous than this. It's like a minefield of frozen horror with these bergy bits bobbing up and down, sometimes visible and sometimes not and especially now that night has returned to these parts. Not that the days are much better. Fog, sleet, frozen rain, hail, and sea spray make observations very difficult and the chunks of ice are everywhere and only this time invisible. The years of experience we have spent navigating the ice floes off Eastern Canada to protect seals is paying off with the voyages down in the Southern Oceans. But still the entrance to Porpoise Bay looked forbidding and all the signs screamed "stay away". But the Yushiin Maru was in there and that was where we headed. Into the frozen maw of hell - on the eighth day of our pursuit of the Japanese whaling fleet since we relocated them on February 23rd. And as we approached the ice sheet of Porpoise Bay, there they were! First we spotted the Yushiin Maru and she tried to lead us North. We ignored her and continued South and finally there on the radar was the moving target we were looking for - the Nishiin Maru, the Cetacean Death Star, the world's largest floating slaughterhouse, the most evil and bloody cruel ship on all the world's oceans. The dense fog parted and there she was, like an evil wraith silently moving amongst massive icebergs, quiet, efficient and deadly. The rest of the fleet, at least four other vessels scattered in different directions but we remain focused on the Nishiin Maru. If they had any thoughts of whaling today or tomorrow, we have ruined their plans. And like the cowards they are, they began to run and once again we began to chase but this time we had them in our sights. My only regret is that we don't have our helicopter and pilot Chris Aultman onboard. Without a hanger onboard we could not risk taking the helicopter out a second time. I'm hoping we can construct a new helicopter deck with a hanger before we are forced to return to these waters at the end of this year again. I have to admit it I do get weary of returning to these waters each year but we have the satisfaction of knowing that we get stronger and more effective with each season. And as long as these ruthless killers keep coming down her to slay defenseless whales we will continue to come down here to stop them. We will never surrender the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary to the killers of whales - never! Ahead of us is the stern of the Nishiin Maru cowardly fleeing through the maze of bergs. Flocks of Giant petrels are flying alongside and ahead of us and the whales in these waters need not fear the harpoon today. The Shepherds of the sea are here with and amongst them and the killers remain on the run. Captain Paul Watson Master - The Steve Irwin Master - The Farley Mowat Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society.  [ send green star]  [ accepted]
Nishiin has been engaged (and now stinks even more) March 04, 2008 7:43 AM

From: "Captain - Steve Irwin" Sent: Sunday, March 02, 2008 2:35 PM To: "Undisclosed Recipient" Subject: STEVE IRWIN ENGAGES JAPANESE FACTORY SHIP NISHIIN MARU IN WHALE SANCTUARY STEVE IRWIN ENGAGES JAPANESE FACTORY SHIP NISHIIN MARU IN WHALE SANCTUARY The crew on the Sea Shepherd ship "Steve Irwin" engaged in a confrontation with the Japanese factory ship "Nishiin Maru" this morning between 0800 and 1000 Hours. The Nishiin Maru cannot outrun the "Steve Irwin". After a 12 hour chase the Sea Shepherd ship closed the gap and passed alongside the Nishiin Maru. The crew deployed over two dozen bottles of rotten butter sending a stench throughout the whale killing ship that will remain for days. The crew also threw packets of a slippery chemical onto the deck of the "Nishiin Maru". This will make it very difficult to cut up whales. The substance becomes even more slippery with water so it will be difficult to wash it off the decks. "I guess we can call this non-violent chemical warfare," said Captain Paul Watson. "We only use organic, non-toxic materials designed to harass and obstruct illegal whaling operations." Four armed Japanese Coast Guard officers clearly identified in their uniforms videotaped the confrontation. The Captain of the "Nishiin Maru" played a tape over and over again with a woman's voice saying "Warning, warning, this is the Nishiin Maru captain. Stop your destructive actions immediately. If you dare to board this vessel you will be taken into custody and restrained as illegal intruders under Japanese law." Captain Paul Watson radioed the "Nishiin Maru" to inform them that they had no authority in the Australian Antarctic Territory. Captain Watson ordered the Japanese captain to cease all whaling operations and to comply with the Australian Federal Court ruling that prohibits the Japanese whaling fleet from killing whales in the Australian Antarctic Territorial waters. The confrontation took place at 63 Degrees 17 Minutes South and 126 Degrees and 20 minutes east. This is 175 miles off the Andare Coast inside the Australian Economic Exclusion Zone. The "Steve Irwin" has fallen half a mile off to the starboard side of the "Nishiin Maru". "It stinks to bad to remain any closer," said Todd Emko 32, of New York City. Not a single whale has been killed since the Sea Shepherd ship "Steve Irwin" returned to harass the Japanese whaling fleet in the Australian Whale Sanctuary. "They will not be getting their quota this year and that is a certainty." said Jeff Hanson 35, from Fremantle, Western Australia. "In fact I don't think they will be getting half their quota." In total the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society has shut down illegal Japanese whaling operations for over four and a half weeks. Captain Paul Watson Master - The Steve Irwin Master - The Farley Mowat Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. www.Seashepherd. org Captain@seashepherd .amosconnect. com  [ send green star]  [ accepted]
  New Topic              Back To Topics Read Code of Conduct


This group:
Help The Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (SSCS)
281 Members

View All Topics
New Topic

Track Topic
Mail Preferences