It is Chinese New Year! The year of the Dragon. In China the dragon is the symbol of good fortune and intense power; it is regarded as a divine beast.
Here is my version of Chinese vegetables to celebrate today.
1/4 lb. carrots, sliced in large pieces
1/4 lb. Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan) or broccoli cut in large pieces
1/4 lb sugar snap peas de-stringed
1/4 lb. bok choy cut in large pieces
1/2 onion, chopped
1/4 red pepper, sliced (optional)
1/2 – 2 inch piece fresh ginger root, finely chopped (depends how gingery you like it)
1 – 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 cup water
2 – 5 tbsp. soya sauce
2 tbsp. arrowroot or Kuzu*
½ cup water
1. Sauté ginger and garlic in vegetable oil for 3 minutes on low heat.
2. Add ½ cup water and vegetables.
3. Boil lightly with a lid on for 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender but crisp.
4. Mix arrowroot, soya sauce and 1/2 cup water together.
5. Add arrowroot and water slowly to the vegetable mixture, stirring constantly.
6. Boil till clear.
7. Simmer for a few minutes.
*this is a healthy substitute for corn starch