Suggestions for a Successful Care2 Petition! March 13, 2007 8:09 PM
Petition Authors: To ensure that your electronic signatures ARE taken seriously:
1) Require the full name and address of the person signing.
2) Allow additional comments, but don't require them.
3) Keep the petition simple and brief enough so that signers will read the whole thing, but informative enough for signers to form an opinion.
4) CHECK YOUR SPELLING AND GRAMMAR!!! Nothing looks less professional than a petition with errors all over it.
5) If it is a local issue, ask that only local people sign it.
6) Put a deadline on it-and then delete the petition from the site after its deadline is up! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!
7) Once the deadline or goal is reached, send the collected signatures to the recipient IMMEDIATELY.
1) DO NOT sign a petition until you've read the whole thing and have ensured that it fits with your personal values.
2) DON'T sign petitions with spelling, grammar errors all over it, or petitions past their deadline.
3) DO make additional comments, but check over them for spelling, grammar errors before submitting them. A few well-intentioned but unprofessional comments makes the whole petition seem less professional.
Care2: Suggestions for getting more members to sign petitions:
1) Clean up the Petition Site. Delete out of date petitions.
2) Demand deadlines on all petitions.
3) Make the Petition Site easier to navigate.
[ send green star]