This year more than 70,000 fourth graders, all across, America will roll up their sleeves and plant a tree...
To help revitalize a remarkable idea …
Arbor Day at School
They have become members of FOURTH GRADE FORESTERS USA, a new project that is designed to do just that.
In 1885 a national group of educators urged observation of Arbor Day in the nation’s schools on the official Arbor Day of their own State.
School observations grew by leaps and bounds. Over the years, millions of children received and planted millions of seedlings…millions of seedlings that grew into millions of mature trees. Together, those trees make up a unique forest. A forest planted by generations of America's children.
Somehow the School Arbor Day tradition began to fade away and now only relatively
few kids get a tree to take home and plant on their State’s Arbor Day.
It's time to reverse the decline.
Now In the era of global warming and air pollution, tree planting is even more important than ever.
Trees take carbon dioxide (CO2) out of the atmosphere to help reduce warming and help clean the air we breathe. Planting trees is a simple, inexpensive and easy way to address the problem.
The project, kicked off this year by Free Trees and Plants.com, has four major goals.
1. To revitalize observation of Arbor Day in America's schools on the offical Arbor Day proclaimed in their own state.
2. To send every fourth grader home with a tree of their own to plant and care for.
3. To support employment of workers with disabilities.*
4. To bring schools, private individuals and businesses together to have direct positive impact on the urban forests of their communities.
* Each tree is individually packaged for distribution by workers with disabilities.
If you have any questions or if you want to sponsor
Fourth Grade Foresters USA 2008, in a school of your choice, please contact:
Sarah Henne, Program Coordinator
at (402) 475-5507 Telephone or
Fax (402) 475-5633 or
email at email@example.com
You can write to Sarah at:
Fourth Grade Foresters
1701 South 17th St. Ste2D
Lincoln, NE 68502
Program References are Available Upon Request
[ send green star]