We have important news! Together, our community has surpassed 100 million petition signatures on the PetitionSite! Each petition signature is a show of support from our members for human rights, the environment, animals and other important causes.
“When we started the PetitionSite over 12 years ago, it was a grand experiment to empower individuals to start online petitions and make a difference. Critics laughed and said it wouldn’t work. Today, nearly 20 million Care2 members have demonstrated the incredible collective power each one of us has to change the world,” announced Randy Paynter, Founder and President of Care2.
The PetitionSite has helped individuals and more than 1,000 nonprofit partners to win countless victories for vital causes, including:
- Helping concerned parent, Shannan Nelson, to get fast-food giants to stop using pink slime in their menus
- Protecting vital fish off the United States Mid-Atlantic coast through comprehensive legislative reform including the first ever protection for river herring that are critically important to the health of the ocean’s ecosystem
- Calling on President Obama to enact a National Plan to Address Alzheimer’s Disease, released May 2012
- Protecting students in Jackson, Mississippi from being handcuffed as punishment for non-criminal activity thanks to Care2 activists and others across the nation (with AlterNet)
- Ensuring high school student Maverick Couch’s stand for equality does not get him suspended (with Lambda Legal)
- Protecting 1,400 acres of the San Francisco Bay’s natural wetlands from a Cargill development project.
- Assisted in banning commercial shark fishing in the Bahamas and turning the country’s 240,000 square miles of ocean to a shark sanctuary (with Bahamas National Trust)
- Helped persuade the UK government to create the largest protected marine reserve in the world — the Chagos Islands, in the Indian Ocean
- Helped gain passage of the Matthew Shepard Act, a law that makes it illegal to commit hate crimes (with the Human Rights Campaign)
- Helped protect Western Oregon’s old growth forests from being destroyed by a plan to open them up to logging (with The Wilderness Society)
Other recent PetitionSite milestones include:
- Increased petition signers 60% year over year.
- Grown the Care2 Take Action Platform (TAP), to extend the power of Care2 petitions across 230 media partners with a combined reach of more than 150 million people.
We want to thank you, our nearly 20 million members for making this happen. Your dedication is what makes Care2 and the PetitionSite so powerful! And, we’re just getting started! Here’s to the next 100 Million signatures!