5 Ridiculous Things Said by the Former SNL Star Running for Office
It’s been decades now since Victoria Jackson graced the television screens of Americans as a member of the sketch comedy show Saturday Night Live. Now, the former comedienne is continuing to reach for new heights in her second career, as Tea Party spokesperson and political activist. Sadly, this new path isn’t nearly as funny.
Jackson has announced that she will be running for a county commission seat in Tennessee, and says that she would right at home in that platform in a town that wears its religion on its sleeve. “I think I will fit in quite easily with (the current county commission),” Jackson told The Tennessean. “I went to the dentist recently and there was a Bible in the lobby of the dentist office. … I love this town. My two favorite things are here – Jesus and show business.”
Bibles in the lobby are one thing, but are voters really ready for Jackson’s incendiary and highly controversial comments on all things ranging from gays to Muslims to the president? Here’s a small sample of what they are in store for:
1. “If you want to teach little children about anything sexual, that is robbing their innocence and that‘s child abuse.“ According to Victoria Jackson, you can’t tell little kids about same-sex marriage, because that will lead to them knowing there is such a thing as gay sex. Apparently, marriages between heterosexual couples don’t involve sex at all, or else you would think the same rules would apply there as well. In the same interview she said if her grandchild were gay, she would pray it away because “[she knows] a guy and a woman who are a lesbian and a gay and they got married and they are going to have babies now.”
2. “I‘m going to die soon, because the first thing they do is they kill the Christians!“ In an interview this summer with Bill O’Reilly, Jackson went all out on her political awakening, from being recruited by a “secret” California conservative group to her early ties with the Santa Monica Tea Party. But it’s her conviction that she’s about to be assassinated for her Christian beliefs that has even O’Reilly taken aback. “Yeah, I don’t think we’re real close to that,” he tells Jackson.
3. “When Muslims cut meat they say ‘allahu akbar.‘ I sent that to a friend, and she wrote back ‘That‘s not true, Snopes that.‘ Well, I just found out Snopes is run by George Soros.“ The statement follows a performance of a song so racially and culturally xenophobic that even the right-wing talk show hosts surrounding her look uncomfortable. Jackson also in the same setting accuses the President of supporting a 9/11 mosque because he wants to support those who saw the attacks as a victory.
4. “The Muslim Brotherhood has infiltrated our highest positions in government.“ Claiming she had been briefed by some ex members of the FBI, Jackson continues to argue that the Muslim Brotherhood is overtaking the country with the intent of instilling sharia law. Muslim Brotherhood at this point has become shorthand for “enemies of Christianity” and Jackson sees enemies everywhere, telling The Tennessean she’s been “researching the Muslim Brotherhood, Agenda 21 and the Common Core education standards” for her race.
5. “I always thought Obama was a Muslim, but a bad one, because I don‘t see him praying five times a day.“ And there is the big reason for Jackson’s anti-Muslim crusade: Obama the “communist Muslim.” The president has become the stand in for everything she fears – Islam, progressive social causes, communism, all rolled up into one.
Photo Credit: David Shankbone