“There is no excuse for jewelry, especially children’s jewelry, to be made with some of the most well studied and dangerous substances on the planet,” Jeff Gearhart, research director at the Ecology Center and founder of HealthyStuff.org, said in a written statement. “We urge manufacturers to start replacing these chemicals with non-toxic substances immediately.”
While metals do not pose a risk by simply wearing the items, if they are consumed they can be deadly, according to Spaeth. Because they are cheaply made, they can easily chip, scratch or break. “When pieces are small enough to fit in (a child’s) mouth, the likelihood of ingestion increases dramatically,” he said.
More importantly, Spaeth said, the brominated flame retardants, which are usually sprayed on, can come off in someone’s hands and be absorbed in the skin or inhaled. This chemical compound has been known to disrupt hormonal balances and may cause a number of other known health effects.
You Don’t Need That Cheap Jewelry!
It turns out that jewelry sold specifically for children is required to meet safety standards, but adult jewelry is not — even though it can still be ingested or rubbed the wrong way by adults or children. Since this report has been released, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is looking into it. They’re planning to pick up samples of the jewelry and test it themselves.
But you probably shouldn’t wait for the results of their tests. Why not just decide you’d rather not wear toxic chemicals around your neck, and skip the cheap jewelry store entirely?
Photo Credit: screenshot from youtube video
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.
Problem on this page? Briefly let us know what isn't working for you and we'll try to make it right!