Anti-Union Right To Work Bill Advances In Indiana

Right about now, Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels might be wishing he had taken a stab at securing the Republican presidential nomination after his final State of the State address.

Daniels, with Republican allies, is pushing through a union-busting “right to work” bill that has resulted in protestors booing Daniels in the Statehouse hallways and empty seats that should have held Democrats. Like a similar attack on union rights in Wisconsin, the so called “right to work” legislation has left the state bitterly divided. It prompted a five-week walkout by House Democrats in 2011 that continued into 2012.

Also similar to Wisconsin, Indiana House Republicans rammed their bill through committee taking less than six minutes and no debate to pass the measure, clearing the measure for a full vote by the House and Senate chambers.

Like copy-cat bills snaking their way through other states, this bill bans companies and unions from negotiating a contract that requires any non-union member to pay fees for the representation unions are required to give them. Twenty-two other states currently have similar laws on their books.

Recent polls show that Indianans are split with a majority of voters undecided on the bill.


Related Stories:

Indiana Next Front In Union Battle

Photo from Kheel Center, Cornell University via flickr.

Love This? Never Miss Another Story.


SeattleAnn S.
Ann S.3 years ago

More and more workers' rights and benefits are being taken away. It's not surprising the Repugs are doing this after shrinking the middle class so much as well. Pretty obvious they keep laying the trail for the 1% wealthy to control the other 99% of us. Just cannot understand why members of the 99% keep voting them in. It's like continuing to empower a wicked king's family for generations when all they have done is ruin the people while putting on a fake face and rhetoric about how they are protecting us and looking out for us. Hopefully we will not remain gullible and easily duped.

Robert H.
Robert Hamm3 years ago

Nancy NO ONE IS FORCED to pay the union. Not even with the Telephone company. I worked there 31 years. I was both management and union. We had people who didn't pay nor support the union. But they sure all loved the raises LOLOL. Sure there were some people who had us vs them attitudes. Hell you have that even without a union.

Nancy L.
Nancy L.3 years ago

Worst place I ever worked was for the phone company - only place I worked that had a union. It was such an us-against-the-boss mentality. Lousy atmosphere. Never again. No one should be FORCED to pay dues to a union.

Frances C.
Frances C.3 years ago

Unions are good for working people. Right to work laws are good for big business.

Chad A.
Chad Anderson3 years ago

Americans are fond of forgetting that basic labor RIGHTS are rights protected by international law and common custom, and are basic guarantees of our standard of living whether we belong to a union or not. Cutting into these rights undermines the status of all rights. Furthermore, in a democratic society, why would we not want to expand democracy into the economy?

Sue T.
Susan T.3 years ago

If I am not a member of a union damn right I am not going to pay dues! What if I don't agree with what the union is doing?

Unions used to be good, now they are not.

Patrick F.
Patrick f.3 years ago

William Y. I would like to see them be truthful but what I expect is what I have come to expect of them, lies and more lies....

Dylan Thomas
Dylan Thomas3 years ago

strong labor unions are a vital part of every STRONG democracy in the world. it was the unions in poland that brought about the collapse of the soviet block back in the 80's. it was unions in the usa that built the strong middle class of the 50's, 60's and 70's. unions gave us child labor laws, the 8 hour day and safety laws just to name a few. unions stand for freedom and democracy, corporate america is anti-democracy, total power and control. unions fight for the rights and welfare of ALL working people corporations fight for control of the wealth and state.

William Y.
William Y.3 years ago

@ Patrick F. What do you want? Do you expect them to be truthful?

John H.
John H.3 years ago

Interesting that the New Zealand government is introducing anti union legislation, the NZMPU union have negotiated a nation wide plastic composite agreement that covers the plastic manufacturing sector and this is possibly the sort of thing that would be of advantage to American workers rather that individual agreements industry by industry.

The NZ plastic contract has a clause that will prohibit non union staff from automatically receiving union negotiated wage/benefits