10 Ways To Celebrate World Water Day!
Water. H2O. Agua. Eau. It makes up most of our bodies, and covers most of our planet.
Although some may take it for granted, less than 1% of the world’s fresh water (or about 0.007% of all water on earth) is readily accessible for direct human use, and over 884 million people in the world lack access to safe water supplies.
According to the Stockholm International Water Institute, polluted water kills more people than wars or earthquakes, and some 3.6 million people – including 1.5 million children – are estimated to die each year from water-related diseases, including diarrhoea, typhoid, cholera and dysentery (IPS News).
To create awareness about the global water crisis, and encourage people to conserve water or support organizations working to supply water to millions around the world, many are preparing to celebrate World Water Day on Monday, March 22nd.
Each year, World Water Day highlights a specific aspect of freshwater. UNWater is dedicating World Water Day 2010 to the theme of water quality, reflecting its importance alongside quantity of the resource in water management.
As residents of this planet, we are all responsible for doing our part to address these global water issues. By using water more efficiently, we can help preserve water supplies for future generations, save money, and protect the environment.
Here 10 ways to join in the celebration and conserve water every day:
- Check out these simple steps to save water and make them a part of your daily routine.
- Look for products bearing the EPA’s WaterSense label at your local retailer and reduce your impact on water supplies without sacrificing performance.
- Make your own water filter! Click here for instructions.
- Email your Member of Congress and ask that they step up their efforts to address the water and sanitation crisis, as well as other issues that threaten children’s survival in poor countries.
- Set a Guinness World Record and help solve a global crisis at the same time by standing in the World’s Longest Toilet Queue. Click here to find a queue near you!
- Enter the World Water Day writing contest sponsored by The Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting and Helium.com
- Donate your social media profiles as a platform for clean water stories, stats and actions.
- Use this simple calculator to estimate how much water you can save by installing WaterSense labeled products in your home or apartment building.
- Watch the movies FLOW and Blue Gold –two award-winning documentaries about the global water crisis.
- Sign the Care2 Pledge to Protect Water Quality
Image Credit: www.unwater.org