START A PETITION 27,000,000 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x
2,122,074 people care about Health Policy

Do This With Your Contact Lenses and Risk Going Blind

Do This With Your Contact Lenses and Risk Going Blind

 

Having recently sat in the ER with my partner through the early hours of the morning after a good two-thirds of his contact lens broke away from the rest and rolled around his eye socket, you’ll perhaps understand why I don’t look on contact lenses all that favorably. My personal bias aside, however, recent warnings from scientists in the UK draw our attention to something a lot of people who wear contact lenses do that could in fact lead to them going blind.

Washing contact lenses in tap water. Don’t do it. Here’s why:

The Acanthamoeba is a naturally occurring single-celled organism that is found in untreated soil and liquids, including tap water. Should one of the little blighters manage to come into contact with the eye, it can penetrate the cornea, especially easy if already damaged, and Acanthamoeba keratitis can occur.

Symptoms include redness and eye pain, tearing, light sensitivity, blurred vision, discharge, and feeling as though there is a foreign body in the eye.

Due to the fact that many of the symptoms resemble those associated with Pinkeye, Acanthamoeba keratitis can be difficult for an eye doctor to diagnose. In fact, an Acanthamoeba keratitis diagnosis is usually reached once the symptoms persist despite antibiotics. The presence of a ring-like ulceration in the eye can also be used as an indicator.

While Acanthamoeba poses a risk to everyone, contact lens wearers are at particular risk.

How bad could it really be? Dr Fiona Henriquez, from the University of the West of Scotland, who has been conducting tests on new lens solutions to try and better fight Acanthamoeba contamination, told ITV news:

It is a potential problem for every single contact lens wearer. The incidence is quite low but that may be a problem with diagnosis. There are no effective drug treatments. The drugs used are often ineffective and it’s a very brutal regime. It requires hospitalisation and topical applications of a toxic substance to the eye. We’re trying to improve the elimination of this parasite and prevent blindness.

If treatment isn’t effective, there is the possibility of blindness and the need for a corneal transplant. And here’s the scare-quote from the Associated Press that is being used to clobber home the potential risk:

“An estimated 3.7 contact lens wearers in the UK and more than 125 million worldwide are at risk from acanthamoeba, say scientists.”

But there is good news. There are very simple things you can do to reduce the risk of infection. A brief list includes the following:

  • Follow instructions on how to care for your lenses that were given you by your eye doctor.
  • Use only products that your eye doctor recommends.
  • As above, never use tap water to clean contact lenses.
  • Never swim, shower or use a hot tub while wearing them. If you must wear your contact lenses while swimming, make sure to wear airtight goggles and afterwards dispose of your lenses.
  • Single use daily contact lenses are considered safer than reusable ones.
  • If your lenses are not disposables, upon removing, always clean them in multipurpose solution and then store them overnight in fresh disinfecting solution.
  • Make sure to replace your lenses as often as is recommended by your eye doctor.
  • Lastly, always wash and thoroughly dry your hands before handling your lenses.

To put this all in perspective, it should be noted that statistics from the UK show only around 75 people per year actually tangle with Acanthamoeba to any great extent, but when such a risk is so easily reduced, it seems silly not to listen to the warnings and take extra care.

For more information on Acanthamoeba, click here for the CDC fact-file.

 

Related Reading:

Genetically Modified Camel Milk Could Help Produce Pharmaceuticals

Judy Blume On Why Breast Cancer Is Not the End of the World

GOP Platform Declares Medicaid Unconstitutional

Read more: , , , , , , ,

Image used under the Creative Commons Attribution License with thanks to Dave.

have you shared this story yet?

some of the best people we know are doing it

53 comments

+ add your own
6:33AM PDT on Jun 27, 2014

Well it’s an absolute misconception that contact lenses can cause infection or blindness. I have been using them for around 12 years and never faced an infection on the eyes. But it’s true that contact lenses need special care as compared to eye glasses. As you have already mentioned the tips for their proper caring, I would like to say that don’t use them without taking prescription of an eye doctor and make sure not to wear them more than eight hours in a day.

7:20PM PDT on Oct 15, 2012

duh. they tell you this when you get contacts. if water was okay to use they wouldnt make CONTACT SOLUTION

1:06PM PDT on Sep 14, 2012

lenses are not good! many risk... only if very much necesary .... yes use them... but my opinion not! laser operation is an good opcion! :)

10:41AM PDT on Sep 13, 2012

I had been using contact lenses for around 33 years, and had tried many different types of them, and never had have an infection on the eyes, they need special care, yes; but is nothing complex, only to keep the hands and containers clean, use the apropiate cleanser solution and take them off when is no need to use them, I take them off at nights even if I am using the long use types, they are a strange object on the eyes so a little rest is good to keep your sight healty.

Ahh and yes, added to the numerous medical advantages of them, and the little ones mentioned by Julie, I like them because my eyes can look better, so yes you can add vanity to the reasons I use them, beauty is nice so I enjoy it!!!!

10:32AM PDT on Sep 12, 2012

saline only should be used

5:21PM PDT on Sep 11, 2012

yikes!

9:19AM PDT on Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for the info.

7:44PM PDT on Sep 9, 2012

I once saw a person put her contact lens in her mouth to "rinse" it off, and put it back in her eye- I thought I was going to barf...

7:33PM PDT on Sep 9, 2012

if that's what's in tap water, what happens if you drink it or wash with it?

5:42PM PDT on Sep 9, 2012

Thank you so much for the info!!

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

Care2 - Be Extraordinary - Start a Care2 Petition
ads keep care2 free
CONTACT THE EDITORS

Recent Comments from Causes

The daisies are interesting. Surely no one is surprised by the children's showing pre-cancerous thyroid…

No wonder our cat "asks" for water right from the tap! I will certainly be vigilant from now on to give…

meet our writers

Steve Williams Steve Williams is a passionate supporter of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) rights, human... more
ads keep care2 free

more from causes




Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.