Does Your “Green” Detergent Contain Hidden Petrochemicals?

 

Have you been reaching for the laundry detergents that label themselves “green” because you believe — based on the labels on the very products — that they contain no petrochemicals?  I have. So have many others. And many people are presumably as dismayed as I am to discover that some big “green” brands still contain as much as 38% petroleum-derived ingredients.

An analysis, carried out by the CBC, scrutinized three major “green” detergent brands: Sunlight Green Clean, Clorox GreenWorks and Purex Natural Elements. Of the three, only Clorox Green Works was found to be mostly “natural,” with 98% of its ingredients found to be plant-based. Sunlight Green Clean contained 62% plant-based ingredients, and Purex Natural Elements contained 70% plant-based ingredients. With the remainder of both detergents, over 30%, consisting of chemicals derived from petroleum.

Sunlight, at least, has never made any claims of being entirely natural – its label simply states that it “includes” plant based ingredients. Purex Natural Elements, however, does claim to be over 95% “natural.”

Part of the issue is that there is no legal definition for “natural” as it applies to products such as laundry detergent — so nothing prevents companies from labeling products as “natural,” implying plant-derived or otherwise less environmentally harmful ingredients, when they are in reality significantly petroleum-based. And while Purex defends its detergent by stating that it discloses the list of ingredients on every bottle (therefore it wasn’t hiding anything!), most laypeople are not chemists and are not able to distinguish a petrochemical on a label from a “natural” or plant-derived chemical.

Ultimately, while improving the non-petroleum based content of everyday items such as laundry detergent is an excellent step forward, both Purex and Sunlight appear to have engaged in significant greenwashing on these products in the hopes of duping the consumer.

Related Stories:

Vietnam Era Weapon Being Used to Clear the Amazon

Saving the Planet One Clothesline at a Time

New Lawsuit Takes Aim At Fake “Blueberries” In Cereal, Baked Goods

Photo credit: D. Sharon Pruitt on Flickr

32 comments

Valerie VanOrden
Valerie VanOrden4 years ago

why not just use vinegar to clean?

SEND
KrassiAWAY B.
Krasimira B6 years ago

Interesting.

SEND
Erin H.
Erin H6 years ago

Every company is jumping on the 'natural' bandwagon. This article is exactly right, a closer look will show nothing but greenwashing in almost every case.

SEND
jane a.
jane A6 years ago

I never buy any household cleaner without first consulting goodguide.com, which tells me exactly which products are best for health, environment, and society, and rates them in order of the best for each category.

SEND
jane a.
jane A6 years ago

I never buy any household cleaner without first consulting goodguide.com, which tells me exactly which products are best for health, environment, and society, and rates them in order of the best for each category.

SEND
Kathleen D.
Kathleen D6 years ago

Hey Laurie; thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check it out and I encourage others to follow Laurie's lead because if more of us would look toward 'manufacturing' our own products to whatever extent possible, manuacturers would have to be more transparent in what is in their products.

SEND
Danny Wilson
Danny Wilson6 years ago

Sounds like fraud to me....

SEND
Marianne Perignon
Marianne P6 years ago

I wonder if which brands, if any, are truly natural? I have been using Parisienne Bio (i think that's what it's called) for a few months without really questioning if it, although maybe I should now.

SEND
Norma V.
Norma Villarreal6 years ago

Can't trust the labels! What constitutes 'natural' nowadays?

SEND
Laurie D.
Laurie D6 years ago

I just read an article about how to make your own (very inexpensive) laundry soap. If you are interested, look up laundry soap recipes on the web. There are several sites that tell you how to make it and MOST are quite simple. That's one of my weekend projects. I'm going to try it!

SEND